Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just took my wife's Odyssey in since the AC just went out (we just moved to TX, so not really viable not to fix it).

I was told that the compressor melted and ground up and shot metal through the front and back AC systems. It is going to cost $5200 to fix this! Has anyone else experienced or seen this kind of thing happen?

thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
81 Posts
it would help if you include year and model, how many miles etc etc.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Take some pictures of the problems and post them here so we can help.

Likely culprits in the Odyssey:
1. Rocks flying through and damage the AC Condenser (located just behind the bumper).

2. Bad (burned) AC Stator, search for thread on "AC trouble-shooting" by "geobrick" "DirkDaddy" etc.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Yes. It has happened before. It is called "black death" in the internet. Primarily this happens to CRVs. Have your dealer call Honda and open up a case and plead for goodwill.

I do remember reading a couple or so posts on this happening to the Ody but its kind of rare for the Ody.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Caution and FYI I have had dealer tell me the same night mare of metal in the system,, But in my case it was just a defective stator. I live in texas also and am on my 2nd stator failure. This last time I just replaced the compressor because I got one wholesale and it was only $75 more than changing just the stator. I didn't have my lab analyze this stator but I deal a lot with over heated electronics and yep by visual and ohm it out,,, bad. Also since dealers caught on to this very rare "black death" they have been selling alot of complete ac systems and expensive flush proceedures,,, go figure,,

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Caution and FYI I have had dealer tell me the same night mare of metal in the system,, But in my case it was just a defective stator. I live in texas also and am on my 2nd stator failure. This last time I just replaced the compressor because I got one wholesale and it was only $75 more than changing just the stator. I didn't have my lab analyze this stator but I deal a lot with over heated electronics and yep by visual and ohm it out,,, bad. Also since dealers caught on to this very rare "black death" they have been selling alot of complete ac systems and expensive flush proceedures,,, go figure,,
Yep. 2nd opinion is good and the reason to get Honda Corp involved is that I'm hoping Honda Corp would ensure they're not having to pay for some BS repair that the stealer made up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a ton folks. The dealer is looking to ask for "goodwill" from Honda corporate.

The Ody is a 2005 LE with about 98000 miles on it. I was shocked when I heard about the components melting. Never had any problems like this w/ Hondas.

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts