Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the family was opening the sliding doors and preparing to exit, I noticed smoke by the rear top of the right slider door opening. ..and smelled burning plastic. My wife thought she saw smoke on the left side too. I found that the door closed switch wire is fried all the way to the right fuse box...I think it goes into the multiplexer. There is a trail of melt on the conduit that the wire bundle goes in under the door threshold covers. I found that this door closed switch gives a ground to that wire when the door is open. The switch looks fine and my multimeter says that it works fine. The wire, however, is completely toasted. I would think that a fuse somewhere should have blown. I've heard about a 30 amp fuse in addition to the multiplexer's 7.5 amp fuse. I removed the right fuse box and multiplexer thanks to threads on this forum. I bypassed a fried solder run inside the multiplexer thanks to a post on this fabulous forum. (I removed the battery negative cable before all of this maintenance.) I have searched, but found no one with melted wires. I could re-assemble things after I replace the fried wires, but I don't think that I have found the problem.
If anyone has heard of this...any help would be much appreciated!

2004 Ody Silver...like half the fleet. :D

·
Administrator
14,906 Posts
I don't have any help for you but I do agree with you that you do need to find out why the wire burnt down like that.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
you probably have a shorted component in the passenger multiplex control unit shorting to +12 volts which supplied enough power to heat up the wire and burn the land but not blow the fuse. Unfortunately fixing the land will not fix the problem as it will burn the next weakest point in the circuit. You need to trace the land in the multiplexer back to where it is supplied the voltage.

My wiring diagram shows a grn/wht wire going to pin a14 on the mux connector. Service manual has a conflict showing a14 going to f24 on one page and f13 going to a24 on another page. I believe the a14 pin is correct but you can verify where the burnt wire goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you William. I will check the grn/wht wire. Is a wiring diagram available on the web? I just have the Haynes manual, and it doesn't show the multiplexer. If something is shorted in the plexer, perhaps I should buy another one. It's still much less than having the dealer troubleshoot and replace the multiplexer. I could even put my ammeter on the door switch wire when I go back together to ensure that I don't still have the same problem.
Thanks again. I'll post my findings.
More info: The driver door lock/unlock has not worked for a while...actuator and wires to door good...traced good to driver fuse panel so far. The other big thing: I found that the DVD player has a wire tab stuck into the fuse 6 spot in the right fuse box...it splits to a fuseholder and heads toward front, the other hot wire goes under the door threshold and perhaps heads up to the roof and the DVD player...maybe there's a fuseholder up there somewhere. I will try to find a fuse that has a tap on it instead of the tab that's stuck into the fuse 6 hot spot (there's no fuse 6 on my model, I guess). It does not appear that this caused the burn, since it looks like the red hot wire did not burn or contact the burned wire. I also know that this wire loses power when I turn off the key, since the DVD player turns off. The big burn happened with the key off and out.

2004 Ody w/later added DVD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.