Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went ahead and purchased this and just got it installed. After reading all the poor reviews of
PAC SWI-JACK units I wasn't expecting that it would be easy to install.

It took about 15 minutes to connect it and let it self program. The only thing that I had picked up from some other message boards was to get the wiring instructions from the www.axxessinterface.com wesite for your particular vehicle. I included a link to the 2001 Odyssey instructions below.

I purchased mine from Amazon for $43. It was definitely worth it.

2001 Honda Odyssey Axxess Instructions

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is an image of the install.

The directions said not to use t-tap connectors, but I did for power and ground because I didn't want to take apart my wiring harness. I soldered the connection to the radio and added a pin to the wiring harness for the control from the steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great product

I just installed the Metra Axxess ASWC steering wheel remote module (~$50 ebay). The installation was easy - connected 4 wires (switched power, 2 grounds, and remote) and just turned the radio on. The unit self-programmed in about 10 seconds and works great (no delay and no resistors/programming). Highly recommended.

Thanks for pointing out this unit!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Great product

pvp said:
Thanks for pointing out this unit!
Glad to hear it. I couldn't figure out why I didn't find more people talking about it considering all the complaints about other brands.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am in the process of buying the the parts -- did not buy my radio from crutchfield. The metra harness for Honda says it connects power and speakers, but has no mention of the steeringwheel control wire.

Did the harness you used have a wire for the steeringwheel control?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a different part. A link to the steering wheel control is in the first post of the thread. It has a number of wires and depending on your vehicle type and radio model you use different combinations of them.

tonglaji said:
I am in the process of buying the the parts -- did not buy my radio from crutchfield. The metra harness for Honda says it connects power and speakers, but has no mention of the steeringwheel control wire.

Did the harness you used have a wire for the steeringwheel control?

·
Registered
91 Posts
yes. I will buy the control module you posted separately. And I have a 2004 EX.

The harness is only for hooking up to the vehicle plug. Since I did not buy my radio from crutchfield, it did not come with a harness for connecting to vehicle plug.

I am trying to figure out if the metra harness is the correct one. On the amazon page, it did not mention it has a wire for the SWC. It only says power and speakers.

Does the SWC wire come in the same plug on the odyssey, or is it on a separate plug entirely? -- I have not taken the dash apart yet to check.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand what you are asking now. I can't necessarily say what the 2004 is like, but on the 2001, there is brown/yellow wire in the stock harness. The harness I got from Crutchfield did not have that pin and wire so I had to use a T-tap to connect to it (not recommended but working for me). If I had known how everything would fit together when I purchased it, I would have gotten two wiring harnesses and removed a pin and wire and inserted it in the other at the correct pin location so I could solder it directly to the SWC.

You might try contacting Metra and seeing if there harness has the pin and wire for the SWC before purchasing, but I would guess not since I don't believe that the pin location is standard even for all Hondas.

tonglaji said:
I am trying to figure out if the metra harness is the correct one. On the amazon page, it did not mention it has a wire for the SWC. It only says power and speakers.

Does the SWC wire come in the same plug on the odyssey, or is it on a separate plug entirely? -- I have not taken the dash apart yet to check.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's been a while, but I finally got to it last weekend. I bought two wiring harnesses and dismantled one and inserted the additional wire to the other. The Metra unit works like a charm. It finished programming itself before I set down the radio.

I am really happy with the improved radio setup with a Pioneer Deh-5200hd. The iphone integration is very easy to use. And best of all, the steering control works on the iphone, too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used one for my 2010 EX-L, and an eclipse nav unit (AVN-726E). The wiring diagram for the control, had the wires colors reversed, after many tries, I finally reversed the brown/white, and brown wire on the control, and it worked like a charm, I did notify Metra, and all they said was a mistake at the factory, so simple to install.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'll be installing a Kenwood KDC-X994 or 995 with the ASWC in my 02 here in the next week or two and came across this thread. A few comments/questions:

1) Here is a link on some wire splice techniques where one can see the preferred way to solder in a tap splice vs. using plastic tap splices.

Connection options, splicing wires and how to do it right, and WRONG!

2) I read the comments regarding a BRN/YEL wire in the factory radio harness and a missing corresponding pin in the Crutchfield wiring harness. According to the Haynes manual there isn't a BRN/YEL wire in the factory harness so I'm a bit confused since the radio remote switch wire in slot A3 is GRN/RED. Wouldn't be the first time there was an error in the manual though. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
2) I read the comments regarding a BRN/YEL wire in the factory radio harness and a missing corresponding pin in the Crutchfield wiring harness. According to the Haynes manual there isn't a BRN/YEL wire in the factory harness so I'm a bit confused since the radio remote switch wire in slot A3 is GRN/RED. Wouldn't be the first time there was an error in the manual though. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
It is the 3rd pin from the left on the top row if you look at the vehicle harness on the pin side. If you compare the crutchfiled harness the vehicle harness, there are two extra pins on the vehicle harness: the 3rd and 4th pins in that row. I don't remember the exact color of the swc wire but I tried the 3rd pin first and it worked.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is the 3rd pin from the left on the top row if you look at the vehicle harness on the pin side. If you compare the crutchfiled harness the vehicle harness, there are two extra pins on the vehicle harness: the 3rd and 4th pins in that row. I don't remember the exact color of the swc wire but I tried the 3rd pin first and it worked.
Thanks. Either the manual is incorrect or the wire is not BRN/YEL. The sketch of the factory connector in the Metra link in joking777's 2nd post above shows the location of A3 slot in the factory harness. I'll post back when installation is completed. Looks like it's going to be much more fun than it was to install my DEI remote start system.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought two metra 70-1721 harnesses and stole a pin from one so I could connect the Green/red radio remote switch wire to the Grey/Blue wire on the ASWC through the harness instead of using a plastic T-tap. The Light Blue/Yellow wire on the Kenwood connects to the Brown wire on the ASWC.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am nearly done cx501 install, just have ASWC left.

The Black-ground and Red to 12V connections are done, no problem.

For the remaining two connections:
- Are folks running the ASWC wire into the (male) connector of the new HU and therefore adding a pin to do that?
- For the extra ground, same idea...add a pin to (male) connector of the new HU in the slot that matches up to the pin on the vehicle harness that AWSC says to ground, then run a wire to the common grounding point?

TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an old thread, but figured I'd just throw this out there just in case anyone else has difficulty like I did.

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey EX, just installed my Pioneer AVIC X920BT from my other vehicle into it, perfect install; only problem was the ASWC-1 unit I could not get working.

Turns out - their documentation for that model is completely off. To complete the install and get the steering wheel working, connect red to red and black to black as in the directions, however ignore their instructions for the Pin 6 and 7 (for my year only this applies). Instead, in the first row of pins on the car's harness, find the Yellow and Brown wires, should be Pin 4 and 5 respectively. Connect the Red/Grey cable to Yellow, and connect the Brown to ground and power on the vehicle and it should auto-detect.

When in doubt in the install, Call their tech support! A 15 minute call saved me hours of troubleshooting and further aggravation!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You might not need the interface adapter at all:
I'll tell you what I know based on a 2007.

The steering wheel control wires are white (with silver splotches) and Brown (more like tan with silver splotches.) On my Jensen VX7020 you connect the Ody's "brown" wire to the radio's SWC-G (BRN/BLK) and the Ody's White wire to the radio's SWC-B (WHT/BRN.) I learned this by looking at the factory repair manual which listed resistance specs for each control and showed a basic circuit from steering wheel to stereo. I verified by using a multimeter set to resistance and I have just now successfully wired the vehicle as described above and controlled the stereo from the steering wheel. No adapter needed. Above applies to 2007 model EX with 6 disc, W/O navi. YMMV with any other model.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts