Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again I am turning to the forum members for advice. What Michelin Defender tires I should purchase for my 2019 Ody EX? Like many have previously stated the Bridgestone Turanza El440s that came with the car did not hold up. At less than 38k miles, the tread bar is raised and my Odyssey barely passed inspection because of the tread wear. I am going to replace the tires by next week and would like to know if I should purchase a set of Defender LTX/MS or a set of Defender T+H. I drive about 14K miles a year, mostly on highways, the Mass Pike, Route 95 from Boston to Maine, and Route 93 to NH. I do some city driving, but mostly highway (90 precent.). I do not haul a trailer or pull heavy loads. As far as weight capacity, it is just myself, my wife and are two big golden retrievers that travel in the Ody. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
There was recently a thread in the 3rd gen forum about tires. While they are two different vehicles, some of the same ideas should still apply to the 5th gen.

I believe the general consensus was that the Defenders have pretty good tread life, but the ride is quite stiff on them. I am probably never buying another Bridgestone tire after my experience with the Ecopia EP422 having absolutely horrible tread life.

Reactions: 0dyfamily and tyman

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had "Michelin Defender T + H 235 /60 R18 103H SL BSW 80K" from 38k miles to 65k and am happy with them. I wanted smooth quiet ride in mostly southern climates. The heavier duty LTX version of the Defender might be a better choice for you in Northern climate.
Don 2018 Honda Odyssey EX

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
74 Posts
In my head, I view the LTX more as a truck/heavy suv tire and the T+H the more car/light SUV tire. I know the LTX comes in different load ranges for trucks, not sure about the T+H.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
74 Posts
There was recently a thread in the 3rd gen forum about tires. While they are two different vehicles, some of the same ideas should still apply to the 5th gen.

I believe the general consensus was that the Defenders have pretty good tread life, but the ride is quite stiff on them. I am probably never buying another Bridgestone tire after my experience with the Ecopia EP422 having absolutely horrible tread life.
Our 2019 CR-V had the shitty Bridgestone Ecopia 422's. They were fucking awful; noisy as shit and nearly bald at 25k when we replaced them with the Defender T+H's.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,597 Posts
Our 2019 CR-V had the shitty Bridgestone Ecopia 422's. They were fucking awful; noisy as shit and nearly bald at 25k when we replaced them with the Defender T+H's.
Yep. Mine have a little more than 25k on them. When they were checked at 25k they were down to 3/32". Awful. I will admit they did really well in wet weather when they were brand new.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a set of LTX/MS on my 2014. Hated them. Very hard riding – turned a passenger-car-like riding vehicle into a truck. I swear this sounds silly, but those tires contributed to my brooming the '14 and buying a new 2022, which, in the ride department, is a greatly improved vehicle. LTX/MS tires on an Ody? Never again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I posted this almost two years ago and stand by the decision today. Our usage is similar to yours, the LTX's are in great shape with a lot of life yet on them. If you want a softer ride let a couple of pounds of air out of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Running tires below the manufacturer's recommended pressure to "adjust" the ride seems misplaced and perhaps dangerous. I will grant that the MTX/MSs are long-lasting tires. They just ride very firm – which was much too harsh for my taste. If you value tread life beyond anything else, the LTX/MS may be your deal. If you load your Oby to the max a good deal of the time, they might work out for you. However, there are tires that are engineered from the get-go for comfort AND tread life. BTW, Michelin makes a number of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your help and advice. It is much appreciated. It was very disappointing that my Bridgestone turanza EL440s that came with the Ody lasted less than 38K miles before the tread bar was above the grooves. I would have expected better quality from Bridgestone. I also had two alignments since getting the Ody, rotated the tires a number of times, and checked tire pressure on a regular basis. I clearly took care of the tires. Likewise, most of my miles were highway driving. I will be happy to see them removed next week and have the Michelins put on. Costly, yes....but Michelins, in my opinion, are worth the money. Thanks again for all your advice and comments. Safe driving!

·
Registered
2022 EX, Pacific Pewter
47 Posts
I will be happy to see them removed next week and have the Michelins put on. Costly, yes....but Michelins, in my opinion, are worth the money. Thanks again for all your advice and comments. Safe driving!
So which ones did you go with? If you went with the LTX M/S can you add some pics, I can't find anything in my google search other than on a Pacifica. I want these too, waiting for Costco sale next month.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thank you for your help and advice. It is much appreciated. It was very disappointing that my Bridgestone turanza EL440s that came with the Ody lasted less than 38K miles before the tread bar was above the grooves.
I have purchased around six new vehicles, and none of the factory tires have lasted more than 40K miles. The tires from the factory are the cheapest that they can get away with. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Also, I have never had a vehicle aligned, even after more than 230K miles. I don't know why yours would need to be aligned twice in 38K miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have purchased around six new vehicles, and none of the factory tires have lasted more than 40K miles. The tires from the factory are the cheapest that they can get away with. I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Also, I have never had a vehicle aligned, even after more than 230K miles. I don't know why yours would need to be aligned twice in 38K miles.
Potholes by the dozens here in MA. Between railroad tracks, potholes, and roads that have buckled pavement, it doesn't take long for vehicles to go out of alignment. As far as factory installed tires on new cars lasting more than 40K, you make a good point. In my over 45 years of driving, I too have purchased a good number of new cars and now that I think about it, I don't recall the original tires lasting much longer than 40k. I guess I am spoiled in expecting better tread life because I always replace my tires with Michelins that give me 60k plus in miles. I think that when you purchase a new vehicle for over 35k, you should expect that it would come with better quality tires. I guess I was wrong. I still think, however, that the Bridgestone Turanza EL440s were the worst tires I ever drove on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So which ones did you go with? If you went with the LTX M/S can you add some pics, I can't find anything in my google search other than on a Pacifica. I want these too, waiting for Costco sale next month.
Thanks for asking. I decided to go with the Michelin Defender T+H, as the tire tech said that because my driving was mostly highway and I didn't haul heavy loads, that the Defender T+H would be best for me, as the LTX/MS might be a bit heavier and louder. Both Defender models are top shelf, high quality. It really comes down to what type of driving you do and on what type of roads. Take care and safe driving!

·
Registered
2022 EX, Pacific Pewter
47 Posts
Thanks for asking. I decided to go with the Michelin Defender T+H, as the tire tech said that because my driving was mostly highway and I didn't haul heavy loads, that the Defender T+H would be best for me, as the LTX/MS might be a bit heavier and louder. Both Defender models are top shelf, high quality. It really comes down to what type of driving you do and on what type of roads. Take care and safe driving!
Hmm, maybe I'll do more research on the T+H, if you can post up some pics when you get them...cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm, maybe I'll do more research on the T+H, if you can post up some pics when you get them...cheers!
I should have them installed by the beginning of this coming week and will attempt to post some pictures and give my first impressions of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll split the hair on the difference between the T+H and the LTX tires. They are pretty nearly equal except in rain, snow and ice. The T+H has the edge on dry pavement but deteriorates significantly with respect to the LTX as you go from dry to rain to snow to ice. See, for example, this -

In and near Boston it's a toss-up as the pike gets a lot of attention quickly in storms. I'm hauling grandkids to school in rural eastern Connecticut so the LTX are insurance. For that matter the Odyssey itself is insurance.

·
Registered
'17 EX-L
102 Posts
I’ve gone with the LTXs’ on three vehicles - an ‘06 Rav4, a ‘16 Pilot, and our ‘17 Odyssey. I like the extra firmness of the LTX, and they come with a greater tread depth than a lot of other tires. They’re also very good in the snow and rain, which I find important up here in the Northeast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have a point of view on the Michelin CrossClimate 2? I read good things on them. I live outside Philadelphia where they do an horrible job cleaning the roads when it snows so I thought these would be a good. I have a touring 2018 with 34,000 miles and the OEM tires (Bridgestone I believe) are complete garbage and shot. The load is index is a higher (107 vs 103) than the original tire but I believe it is ok to go a bit higher. The warranty at Costco is lower (60,000 miles) than the Defender T+H (80,000 miles). It is not really a factor for me since tires on these vans never last that long. I also have a 2005 EX-L with 161,000 miles and I put Bridgestone on it before, I hated them. I now have Michelin with about 35,000 miles on it and they are in good shape (much better shape than the tires on the 2018). Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have a point of view on the Michelin CrossClimate 2? I read good things on them. I live outside Philadelphia where they do an horrible job cleaning the roads when it snows so I thought these would be a good. I have a touring 2018 with 34,000 miles and the OEM tires (Bridgestone I believe) are complete garbage and shot. The load is index is a higher (107 vs 103) than the original tire but I believe it is ok to go a bit higher. The warranty at Costco is lower (60,000 miles) than the Defender T+H (80,000 miles). It is not really a factor for me since tires on these vans never last that long. I also have a 2005 EX-L with 161,000 miles and I put Bridgestone on it before, I hated them. I now have Michelin with about 35,000 miles on it and they are in good shape (much better shape than the tires on the 2018). Thank you
That's what I put on our '19 Touring, two months ago, at 47k miles since new. Living in northwestern Wisconsin, the snow and wet rating was good to see, since winter lasts almost 5 months here. A bit more road noise than the stock tires, but not annoying, and the fuel mileage is as good as what we had previously (24 mpg over the life of the van).
Having driven almost a million miles since I got my license 32 years ago, I have yet to have a set of tires come close to the warranty rating. May have to do with putting 24-35k miles a year on my cars, but I've given up hope that any set of tires will get to 60k miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts