Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this area we have Michelin headquarters, research facilities, test track, and manufacturing plants. Not to difficult to snag an engineer. So I asked: "What's the best Michelin tire for the Ody, and what tire size is best?" They said Symmetry because of the silica compound formulation blah-blah, but go with a wider tire than the 215cm stock.
Just FYI. Take it or leave it.

------------------
Ben
2001 LX, GG, mud guards, cargo tray, keyless remote, CD player, Blaupunkt speakers

·
Registered
130 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by back2earth:
...but go with a wider tire than the 215cm stock...</font>
I wonder if that has anything to do with the 02's having 225's?

·
Registered
286 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by back2earth:
In this area we have Michelin headquarters, research facilities, test track, and manufacturing plants. Not to difficult to snag an engineer. So I asked: "What's the best Michelin tire for the Ody, and what tire size is best?" They said Symmetry because of the silica compound formulation blah-blah, but go with a wider tire than the 215cm stock.
Just FYI. Take it or leave it.

</font>
This is really contradictory to what is on the Michelin website (tires.michelin-us.com). If you go into their tire selector for the Odyssey and say you want a balance of comfort and handling, they say buy the X-one. If you say first priority is comfortable ride, and then say you want the best tread life and high all season capability, they say buy the X-one. The only way I can get to the Symmetry is to first say I want a comfortable ride, and then say I want GOOD tread life and GOOD all season capability at a VALUE price. Then it gives me a choice of the Symmetry or the Rainforce MXV4, and rates the Rainforce better in all respects except Quiet ride, where the Symmetry is still not rated as quiet as the X-One. I notice that the Symmetry 225/60/16 tires listed on the website are only S speed rated, not T rated like the 215/65's or the 235/60's. Also, the Symmetry 225/60 and 235/60 sizes have a shorter actual life expectancy than most sizes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
X-one seems perfect, what's the catch?

(nt)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: X-one seems perfect, what's the catch?

Phace said:
I have the X-ones now. If I find a problem other than the cost, I will post it. So far, I have been pleased except for the fact they are a little smaller diameter than the original tires and thus increase the odometer and probable speedometer error.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I've read, the Xone is one of the best tires on the market today. I have them on my Camry and Volvo, and they've performed exceptionally well. The downside to the Xone is cost. I was quoted anywhere from $500 - $700 for four new Xones for my 2000 Odyssey. I'd be surprised if Xones will last 80k miles on an Odyssey. Mine wore out the original tires in 25k miles. The Ody (and most minivans, for that matter) is too heavy and wears out the tires too fast. So....make sure you're vigilant about documenting the tire rotation so you can take advantage of the warranty.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just purchased 4 brand spanking new Michelin X-One P225-60R16 for my 2000 Ody EX to replace the Symmetry this past Tuesday. The original size of the Symmetry was 215/65-16.

After doing over 600 miles in 2 days with them, I am really impressed. The ride of the van is a little bit softer, those tires are less noisy than the Symmetry's I had and they are also less slippery & they feel more responsive to steering input then the Symmetry.

Someone just mentioned that he was quoted up to $700 USD to equip his Ody with these. FYI, this is quite expensive as I paid $721.21 Canadian ( that includes installation, new valves, balancing, taxes & also $12.00CDN for our tire recycling tax).

I strongly reccomend those tires for the Ody.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

RobertC

·
Registered
22 Posts
RobertC said:
I just purchased 4 brand spanking new Michelin X-One P225-60R16 for my 2000 Ody EX to replace the Symmetry this past Tuesday. The original size of the Symmetry was 215/65-16.

After doing over 600 miles in 2 days with them, I am really impressed. The ride of the van is a little bit softer, those tires are less noisy than the Symmetry's I had and they are also less slippery & they feel more responsive to steering input then the Symmetry.

Someone just mentioned that he was quoted up to $700 USD to equip his Ody with these. FYI, this is quite expensive as I paid $721.21 Canadian ( that includes installation, new valves, balancing, taxes & also $12.00CDN for our tire recycling tax).

I strongly reccomend those tires for the Ody.

Best regards from Montreal, Canada

Hey RobertC, I was also thinking about replacing the tire on my 2000 Odyssey also with the 225/60-16 X-Ones. Great to hear that so far you like them. Your input makes my decision alittle easier. One question though, have you noticed any difference in your gas milage or RPMs turning alittle higher then before at the same speed. I had heard the X-Ones were a bit smaller (negligibly) then the Symmetrys?

Thanks

RobertC

·
Registered
286 Posts
Originally posted by odyguy I was also thinking about replacing the tire on my 2000 Odyssey also with the 225/60-16 X-Ones. Great to hear that so far you like them. Your input makes my decision alittle easier. One question though, have you noticed any difference in your gas milage or RPMs turning alittle higher then before at the same speed. I had heard the X-Ones were a bit smaller (negligibly) then the Symmetrys?

Here are links to where you can find size and diameter information on the Symmetry, X-one and Firestone Affinity.

http://tires.michelin-us.com/assets/pdfs/doc_symmetry.pdf

http://tires.michelin-us.com/assets/pdfs/doc_xone.pdf

http://www.bridgestone-usa.com/

In the OEM 215/65 size, the Symmetry is 26.8 inches diameter on a 6.5 inch wheel. The Affinity is 27 inches diameter on the 6.5 inch wheel. The 235/60 Symmetry is reported to be 27 inches but measured on a 7 inch wheel which makes a difference. Michelin provides data for the 225/60 Symmetry on both a 6.5 and 7 inch wheel at 26.5 to 26.8 inches. However, I wonder if they have their data backwards for the two wheel sizes. The X-one in the OEM 215/65 size is reported at 26.7 inches on a 6.5 inch wheel, a negligible difference from the Symmetry 26.8 and about 1% smaller than the OEM Affinity 215/65. The X-one in the 225/60 size is reported at 26.5 inches on the 6.5 inch wheel. Compared to the original Symmetry, this is about 1% smaller. Compared to the OEM Affinity, it is about 2% smaller.

One basic problem is that the odometer on the Ody seems to be calibrated for slightly larger tires about 27.2 inches diameter. It is off even with the largest tires and gets worse as they wear. Thus, the smaller the tire diameter, the more the error. It reads more miles than you actually cover. Makes it look like your gas mileage is better than it is and shortens your warranty coverage. Sounds a little intentional doen't it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
So then are there any 27.2 inch tires? Maybe 27.5 inchers :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hello odyguy,

If you look at the specifications between the Symmetry P215/65R16 and the X-One P225/60R16, you will notice that you will incur a less then 1% speedometer error.

Revolution per miles

Symmetry P215/65R16 783 rev per mile
X-One P225/60R16 790 rev per mile.

Difference with the X-ONE P225/60R16 would have to turn 7 more revolutions for every mile as compared to the Symmetry P215/65R16. Less then 1%

The error will be that your speedometer would indicate faster speed then you are actually going.

For 1 % error, if the speedo is at 70MPH, your actual speed would be a little bit over 69MPH.

Really not a very big error unless you really want to start splitting hairs.

For the Gas mileage, I really did not notice any change since the 600 miles was done in speeding fines territory (Reached over 100MPH at times).

Best regards fom Montreal

RobertC

·
Registered
34 Posts
lowmancd said:
<snip> The downside to the Xone is cost. I was quoted anywhere from $500 - $700 for four new Xones for my 2000 Odyssey. <snip>
TireRack.com has X-Ones at $109 apiece......shipping might add about $25 or so, then pay at most $18 apiece to have a local shop mount and balance them. Total comes in at $533, unless you live in a state where they have a warehouse and you have to pay the sales tax. If you call their 800 number, the sales rep will give you the names of their recommended installers in your area, their price for installation, and whether they will accept a drop shipment (word was most of them will!)

I bought Dunlops from them for another vehicle, as there are virtually no Dunlop dealers locally. One local shop told me that he could get them, but then admitted he'd simply buy them from TireRack and charge me an extra $20 per tire for doing the legwork!

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Michelin Symmetry is geared more towards ride than performance, compared to the company's other offerings. It has a thinner and more pliable sidewall than the other tires in the Michelin stable, allowing them to give a better ride while keeping a harder tread surface for longer tread life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced the worn out OEM Firestone Affinitys on my Ody at 26k miles with Xones. There was a significant reduction in noise and an increase in comfort and handling.

In my opinion, the Symmetry is a low cost tire geared towards the mass channel. While it has a good ride, it comes up short in most other areas of performance. Symmetries are offered as OEM and by mass retailers like NTB and Walmart. Xones aren't, because Michelin won't put a high quality product on the cost-cutting chopping block of the mass channel.

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Did OEM Symmetry tires have 50k miles warranty on them? Has anyone tried to get prorated tire warranty on their Symmetry?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
bjk2001 said:
Did OEM Symmetry tires have 50k miles warranty on them? Has anyone tried to get prorated tire warranty on their Symmetry?
If I am not mistaken, mileage warranties do not apply to original equipment tires.

Jerry O.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The X Radial Plus (sold at discount warehouses) is the same tire as the X-One.
I called Michelin and spoke to the customer service, but they mentioned that the X-Radial Plus is NOT the same as the X-one. They have different thread design. They did mention that the X-Radial Plus are only sold in club warehouses, such as Costco or Sam's and not in tire stores.

Does anyone have any experience with the X-Radial Plus, are they better than the Symmetry?

·
0 Posts
DeeTee said:

I called Michelin and spoke to the customer service, but they mentioned that the X-Radial Plus is NOT the same as the X-one. They have different thread design. They did mention that the X-Radial Plus are only sold in club warehouses, such as Costco or Sam's and not in tire stores.

Does anyone have any experience with the X-Radial Plus, are they better than the Symmetry?
I guess the guys at Costco are giving out false info:D ! I wonder how these tires compare though:confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts