Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering purchasing an Ody in Michigan and driving back to my home in upstate NY. Am wondering if anyone is familiar with how Micigan handles temporary tag and the sales tax??
I know Ohio simply charges a $50 document fee and $19 for a temporary tag, then when vehicle gets to NY, I go to Motor Vehicles and pay NY sales tax and register in NY.

------------------

·
Registered
322 Posts
edreul,

where in Upstate New YOrk are ya from? I live in Dutchess County...Poughkeepsie, NY. Good luck with your purchase..

dana

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I live in Michigan and have used temporary tags before. A $10 tag is good for 14 days. You can renew it as often as you need. Of course if you are driving back to NY right away you wouldn't need a renewal. The dealership should be able to set up a temporary tag instead of a permanent plate.

On the sales tax I don't know exactly how it would be handled. I suspect that you will have to pay the standard 6% tax when you purchase the car. It shouldn't have anything to do with temporary tag or not.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info., our Michigan dealer has been excellent and we will be getting a temporary tag, paying 4% state sales tax and bringing our 2002 RP EXL-NAVI home on Monday. :) When we register the vehicle in NY we will be paying another 4% tax since our tax here is 8%.

Why did we buy in Michigan?? We tried NY dealers, in our area all want MSRP or more. Also, no RP-Navi available, it would be a 3-4 month wait. Also, got a bit tired of upstate NY dealers expecting Ody buyers to kneel and kiss salesman's feet... :( We found best prices in Ohio but no RP-Navi's. We live near Buffalo, so a trip across southern Ontario and into Detroit is reasonable for us to get the vehicle and the price we want. (Also will stop to visit friends in London,Ontario).

Will post again when we get the "baby" home...
Edreul

[This message has been edited by edreul (edited 03-15-2002).]

[This message has been edited by edreul (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know how I got that "Embarrassed" smilie in the heading of my post, please ignore, it's nothing personal (at least I don't think so !!)
Just call me the "computer genius"...

Edreul

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by edreul:
Thanks for the info., our Michigan dealer has been excellent .....
Why did we buy in Michigan?? We tried NY dealers, in our area all want MSRP or more.
</font>
Sounds like you had an easy time with your purchase.

From your post saying that NY dealers all wanted MSRP or more, did the Michigan dealer charge less than MSRP?

Since you had a positive experience, what dealer was it in Detroit? We bought our Ody at Brighton Honda and paid MSRP (and no "destination charge"). Brighton is west of Detroit about 45 miles or so.

Good luck with your new Ody!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The reason I asked is because we travelled 1 hour and passed 4 dealers to buy ours from MAC. They didn't have the one we wanted on his lot and he found one, sent a driver, and brought it back to his lot for us to see it before we signed any docs. Mac was easy to work with and his price was great.

We got a 2002 TW LX with leather interior, leather steering wheel cover, mud flaps, cargo tray, and wheel locks. It only took 1 day to add the leather at a local shop. It looks nicer than factory. IMHO

including options price............25,325 plus tax

[This message has been edited by mel_ody (edited 03-15-2002).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts