Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used those small, microfiber lens cleaning cloths for years for cleaning eyeglasses and sunglasses, but had never found any larger ones available commercially. I came across a package in a store about a month ago and decided to try some.

WOW! They're fantastic for cleaning most anything, especially glass and mirrors, using just water. I've been using one wet and one dry cloth for our car windows and the windows and mirrors in the house (I'm a clean glass nut) and they work great, but try them for just about any cleaning job.

They cut the work in half and the results last a lot longer. They also can't scratch because the fiber is so fine, so they work well on paint and fine surfaces.

I know I'm starting to sound like a religious zealot, but nothing else I've ever tried has come close to the ease and results you get from these things. Usually, even if you do a perfect job on the car windows using a cleaner, after a day or two a film starts to appear. Not so with the microfiber towels. I also dry the cars now with them. Fantastic results.

Best size and price I've found are at Meijer, inc. stores in the auto section with the cleaners and waxes. They are sold under the Turtle Wax brand, are about 16"x16" and sell for about $3 each if you want to give 'em a try.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, Chuck. Sounds like something I've been looking for.

·
Registered
2014 Acura RDX
75 Posts
Chuck, are you saying that this would work well for outside glass, i.e. cleaning bug juice etc., or would you clean them in a more traditional way first? We don't have any Meijers down here (bought gas & coffee in one in Lansing a few months back tho), so I want to know a bit more before I try to find 'em.

Thanks.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
My inferiority complexes aren't as good as yours.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We're not really into our bug season here, yet, so I can't give you an experienced answer but I'm guessing for heavy bugs you'd want to use a bug sponge or something similar first.

On the other hand, I've yet to try these things on ANYTHING that they didn't out perform the "old way".

We'll find out the answer to your question very soon around here because the bugs are just starting to show up.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found what is probably the same item (didn't save the packaging, but the label says "NicSand Micro Fabric") at a Pep Boys about a month ago. I used it to vacuum up all the dust on the dash and steering column, then as a chamois when I washed the exterior. I was also very pleased with the results and plan to pick up some more. Here is a URL with a little info on the technology: http://www.teammiata.com/libs/Micro-Fibre-info.htm

Gary

·
Registered
84 Posts
hmmmm, are the cloths kinda thin? I wonder if that isn't what Pledge Grab-its are made of? They are supposed to be good for mirrors, although I've never tried them on glass before.

Thanks for the tip!
Skybolt

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skybolt:
hmmmm, are the cloths kinda thin? I wonder if that isn't what Pledge Grab-its are made of? They are supposed to be good for mirrors, although I've never tried them on glass before.

Thanks for the tip!
Skybolt
</font>
Don't think the Grab-It's are the same, but microfiber comes in a few different "styles". Some are smoother and used for polishing eyeglasses, etc. I think the ones that are like terry cloth work best on most jobs.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kelsen:
Chuck, are you saying that this would work well for outside glass, i.e. cleaning bug juice etc., or would you clean them in a more traditional way first? We don't have any Meijers down here (bought gas & coffee in one in Lansing a few months back tho), so I want to know a bit more before I try to find 'em.

Thanks.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
My inferiority complexes aren't as good as yours.
</font>
Update: I took a 200 mile trip last weekend and got a pretty good front end full of bugs. The microfiber cloth worked just fine getting them off even after four or five days of drying on the bumper and windshield with just my normal car wash soap. Nothing magic, but I didn't have to resort to anything else and didn't use any special effort.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
2 Posts
For exterior drying and Zaino removal, I have been using 100%cotton all white Fieldcrest Charisma towels. Wow! are these things soft and plush. I ordered them from KevinSS of the ls1.com forum.

------------------
'01 SS EX
mud guards
bug deflector
zaino

·
Registered
585 Posts
Chuck...the microfibers!!!

Ok, I picked up 2 (one 'wash/clean' and one 'window/detail'; ie one more like a terry cloth & one more smooth) at Target earlier today. I had 2 of each for a total of 4 but was feeling a little conservative so I put 2 back. They are $3 each for 12.5" x 14" made by Concordia.

Ok, the 'wash/clean' one worked wonderfully! Even though I knew it was going to rain today, I went out earlier and gave the van a quick 'rinse-off' w/ the hose & set to work w/ this cloth. Excellent results! Got rid of all the 'white water spots' (I did have to wring it out a few times) as well as bug juice and small dirt. When I was done cleaning the windows, lights, trim, roof & door handles; I used it to clean all 4 wheels.

Wow. What a cool thing. It was black when I was done but the vehicle looked great and I didn't use anything but water on it.

I stored the other one inside and plan to use it on the windows (ran out of time today) to see how long they stay fresh & 'haze-free'.

So mark me as a new convert. As soon as my Zaino arrives I'll really start getting anal w/ the van.

PS What digital camera did you buy, Chuck? I saw a 'canon' 640x480 one at Target for $49....gosh it took all my resolve not to just go ahead & buy it. There was also a 1 mega-pixel Kodak (I think) for $99. That is 1152x768 or so I think. I really want to get a camera so I can start my photo album too! I wanna play with the other kids too!

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Chuck...the microfibers!!!

Wow. What a cool thing. It was black when I was done but the vehicle looked great and I didn't use anything but water on it.

I stored the other one inside and plan to use it on the windows (ran out of time today) to see how long they stay fresh & 'haze-free'.

So mark me as a new convert. As soon as my Zaino arrives I'll really start getting anal w/ the van.

PS What digital camera did you buy, Chuck? I saw a 'canon' 640x480 one at Target for $49....gosh it took all my resolve not to just go ahead & buy it. There was also a 1 mega-pixel Kodak (I think) for $99. That is 1152x768 or so I think. I really want to get a camera so I can start my photo album too! I wanna play with the other kids too!

</font>
MF towels: For windows you can almost always get away with just using two, one damp, one dry; especially house windows. My windows stay much cleaner, much longer, with the MFs.

For some car windows, a window cleaner might help the first time. I don't know what causes the difference; maybe different chemicals deposited on the glass, but after the first time, just water should work fine. I've never used anything but water, but one car I did needed to be done again before the windows were really clean. That's the one that made me wonder about some help from a window cleaner.

Digital cameras: My brother bought a Sony DSC-S30 (after what seems to be about a hundred years of indecision!).
One of ours is an S30 and he has used it and likes it.

When it comes to digicams, the best advice I can give is for you to try to borrow one so you can find out your own preferences. Don't put too much stock in what anyone else likes about their camera, 'cuz I guarantee you, your preferences are going to be different.

A lot of good info can be found at http://www.steves-digicams.com/

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The mf cloths seems pretty small. Some questions:

1) Do you have to rinse them out often while washing the van, especially the wheels? Does a simple swish in the wash water clean them well, or do you have to really "work 'em" to get them clean again in order to continue washing?

2) For drying, how absorbent are they? Are they more or less absorbent than a chamois? Do you have to ring them out a lot (again, they are pretty small)?

3) I'm starting to really lean toward the Zaino products. Chuck, similar question for removing the haze. Do you rinse the mf's out, or just shake out "the dust".

4) You damp-wipe the dash, correct, not dry wipe? Same for windows? That is cool.

Thanks guys, Target is my target for this weekend.

------------------
Steve
'01 GG EX w/ 2900 miles
Towing package, fog lights, KB subwoofer, leather steering wrap, splash guards, cargo tray, wheel locks, cross bars, Pioneer speakers

[This message has been edited by sdp (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can answer a little...

I didn't use *any* car cleaner and I used one 12x15 for the whole car. Granted; it wasn't very dirty and I don't plan to clean it like that often but I will say these things DO suck up water like a sponge! I had rinsed the van off so as I was rubbing it down to remove the water-spots, I had to wring it out fairly often because it just gulped the water down. I did the whole vehicle & it was pretty dirty when I was done. I did the wheels afterward and the cloth was 'done-for' at that point! :p

Check out the 'group deals' forum if you haven't already, Steve. Looks like Jim is getting another Zaino purchase going...

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sdp:
The mf cloths seems pretty small. Some questions:

1) Do you have to rinse them out often while washing the van, especially the wheels? Does a simple swish in the wash water clean them well, or do you have to really "work 'em" to get them clean again in order to continue washing?
----------------------------------------
When the cars are pretty dirty I use a MF towel as a wash rag in my bucket with car wash soap because it holds so much water and soap and WILL NOT scratch the paint. If the van is just dusty, I go over it with a California Duster, then a damp MF, followed by a dry MF to get rid of any leftover spots. Then, sometimes a coat of Z-6.
--------------------------------------------

2) For drying, how absorbent are they? Are they more or less absorbent than a chamois? Do you have to ring them out a lot (again, they are pretty small)?
-------------------------------------------
They'll hold up to seven times their weight in liquid, but you'd need to wring it out. I have a wringer in my garage for getting them near dry when wrung out.
-----------------------------------------

3) I'm starting to really lean toward the Zaino products. Chuck, similar question for removing the haze. Do you rinse the mf's out, or just shake out "the dust"?
--------------------------------------------
Neither, use it dry. It won't fill up. You can shake it, but not much comes out.
------------------------------------------

4) You damp-wipe the dash, correct, not dry wipe? Same for windows? That is cool.
------------------------------------------
Damp or dry on the interior. It doesn't matter. I usually use a damp one.
---------------------------------------

Thanks guys, Target is my target for this weekend.

</font>
------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
We went to Target to pick up some of these cloths. They were on the clearance rack for $2 each. Since I had to wash the Ody I wanted to try one for wiping the water off. I will stay with my large Chamois for that task as the cloth still left a little water on the surface, however, they are absolutely wonderful for Dusting the dash- Blue cloth and cleaning the glass - yellow cloth. I did not try to use one to remove the latest coat of Z-2 I put on. Z-2 is so easy I just can't help but put a coat on when I wash the Ody!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hmmm.

(nyvram scampers off to look at his Target reciept...)

sonuvagun! You're right! Those towels I bought rang in at $2 each at the register. Guess I'll be swinging by Target on the way home to grab a few more.

...must...be...more...like....Chuck...

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
97 Posts
After reading all discussion on the 'necessity'
of using MF towels in cleaning the Odyssey, I ended up grabbing a package of "High Performance Microfiber Towels" at Costco this past weekend. Its a package of 8 towels, 14x16 in., and comes in various attractive pastel colors. For $11.99 for the package, this comes out cheaper than the $2 clearance from Target. It's made by Microfiber Unlimited, Inc. - www.microfiber.org

------------------
MarioB
'01 DEP EX

[This message has been edited by MarioB (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I bought MF towels at target & cosco, various brands... some made in china (of course), some made in korea, some made with a "combination of U.S. & Japanese" fibers. LOL, I got a bunch... gave _one_ to my wife for eyeglasses, gave her another _two_ for the the house, and the rest are all mine, Mine, MINE, for the cars!!

Okay, here's my 2 cents on them so far... We went on vacation last month to see the kids & stuff. The day before we left, I put another coat of Zaino on. We went to Lake Havasu where it started to _rain_, then we got on I-40 to Barstow where we had rain and even _sleet_ for awhile just before Barstow, from Barstow to Mojave... more _rain_, not to bad (a few sprinkles) going over the Tehachapi's, still rain showers in Bakersfield, caught 99 to Sacramento... about a 700 mile day in freaky wet weather. I had found some plush white all cotton, made in the USA, towels at Pic 'n Sav for only $4 and had my wife cut & sew one down in halves, which I took one with us plus a bottle of Z-6. The next day I got up to the dirtiest our van's been, I just took the Z-6 and that towel and had all the road grime off & all spiffy again in no time. But I hadn't counted on such weather in July, and my towel that was intended to keep it together for the entire trip was now black in one day! Well, in the land of stores again, I figured now's the time to go find some MF towels, hit two targets and a cosco. Very strange weather for July, it actually covered the cars in dew everynight! Anyway, the MF's kept us sparkling and the windows really sold me on the MF!! We definitely came back with clearer windows, had a clean shiny car throughout our trip without having to hassle with car washing on our vacation.

Some other personal observations...
I normally wash the car by preparing a 3 gallon bucket with the Zaino car wash. I've found that with our water here in the desert, I have to use the full three caps of Zaino per gallon... or 9 caps everytime I wash either car. I use two all white cotton washrags, one for the funky stuff. Well today, I thought since the MF towels hold so much water, I'd use one for the bulk of the car and one washrag for the funky stuff and see if I could get by with just one gallon in my bucket and hence only 3 caps of Zaino for the wash job. It worked _great_! With the old washrag way, most of the mix would run out of the cloth and off the car immediately, requiring constant refilling the cloth in the bucket. With the MF cloth though, I found it would hold the juicey suds for an entire section and I was able to do the whole job faster, easier, better, and at a savings of only having to use a third of the amount of Zaino car wash than what I had to use without the MF towel!!! ...and not having to dip into the bucket so much, made it a lot easier on the back, too!

I then dried it with the big fluffy towels from Pic 'n Sav. Then I took one clean MF towel and did the whole enchilada with Z-6 to build the wet look. The MF towel makes the Z-6 go farther and faster too, IMO. Then I put another coat of the Z-2 on with the applicator. Then I took off the haze with a MF for the first time (instead of the fluffy all cotton). What I noticed is that the finished job, although "slick", doesn't feel _as_ "slick" as when I take it off with the all cotton towels. So, I'm going to let it "cure" for a day and hit it again with Z-2 and take it off with the cotton towel. Maybe it's just my "feelers" as my fingers feel funny after handling MF towels, but I tried the back of my fingers too, and it still didn't feel as slippery as usual. Maybe the MF's are a little too good taking it off???

Anyway, for now on if it's just one coat for awhile, cotton towel removal. If it's one coat, cure for a day then another coat, then I'll MF the first and cotton towel the final.

But I'm definitely sold on the MF's. They're _great_ for ceiling fans too, really _grabs_ the dirt instead of just knocking it off onto something else. LOL, I got so carried away one day, I did the entire MasterBedroom, even the lampshades! Wife wanted to take my temperature, LOL, I quicky came to my senses and feigned feeling a bit peckish too, & escaped just in the nick of time... she's already got me doing the windows and ceiling fans... but I draw the line on dusting even if it is with a MF towel!

[This message has been edited by Skybolt (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Skybolt wrote: I then dried it with the big fluffy towels from Pic 'n Sav. Then I took one clean MF towel and did the whole enchilada with Z-6 to build the wet look. The MF towel makes the Z-6 go farther and faster too, IMO. Then I put another coat of the Z-2 on with the applicator. Then I took off the haze with a MF for the first time (instead of the fluffy all cotton). What I noticed is that the finished job, although "slick", doesn't feel _as_ "slick" as when I take it off with the all cotton towels. So, I'm going to let it "cure" for a day and hit it again with Z-2 and take it off with the cotton towel. Maybe it's just my "feelers" as my fingers feel funny after handling MF towels, but I tried the back of my fingers too, and it still didn't feel as slippery as usual. Maybe the MF's are a little too good taking it off???

I've found that too, and I think you're right - the mf towels may take TOO much back off. Instead of buffing the surface, they actually clean it down to a microscopic layer. Like you, I've been experimenting with going back to cotton for buffing.

But I'm definitely sold on the MF's. They're _great_ for ceiling fans too, really _grabs_ the dirt instead of just knocking it off onto something else. LOL, I got so carried away one day, I did the entire MasterBedroom, even the lampshades! Wife wanted to take my temperature, LOL, I quicky came to my senses and feigned feeling a bit peckish too, & escaped just in the nick of time... she's already got me doing the windows and ceiling fans... but I draw the line on dusting even if it is with a MF towel!

I went through the same thing. I cleaned the whole house! They're great.

New uses I've found: used damp with just water, they clean window screens better than anything I've tried, including a pressure washer. Also, wet or dry, they're great for removing pet hair from fabric.

One more point. I bought a set of the Costco towels, too, and as far as I can tell, they work fine. Supposedly though, they are made up of an 80/20 blend of fibers, and that's not the best available. The Turtle Wax and many of the other cloths are made up of a 70/30 blend, which is supposed to be better, although I haven't been able to tell the difference in performance in anything I've tried.

------------------
Chuck

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 08-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 08-09-2001).]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts