Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
We use the Igloo Thermoelectric Cooler.
You can hook it up in the back of the van.
$99.95 at Target or Service Merchandise.
Chec it out at
www.servicemerchandise.com

I wouldn't use a microwave in the car though IMHO

Good Luck

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use a thermoelectric cooler and it works fine. Keeps everything cool. Plugs into the outlet in the front or back of the Ody.

Also have a transformer that I can plug into a wall outlet when I'm done driving.

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors

·
Registered
169 Posts
Domestic microwave ovens, even small ones, suck back a lot of power. Typically, they consume between 700 and 1000 watts and are usually 120V AC appliances since they're meant for home use. You can use a 12V DC to 120V AC inverter, but a 1000 watt inverter will cost about $Cdn 500(~$U.S. 325).

A quick Google search turned up some sources for lower powered 12V DC microwave ovens in England that run about 350 pounds (~$U.S. 455). That's still not cheap, and they need to be hard wired since they draw 65 amps!

There are more options available in terms of refrigerators. The cheapest solution is a thermoelectric cooler manufactured by Coleman, Igloo, or Koolatron that runs off 12V DC. They come in many different sizes and cool to about 40° below ambient air temperature. By reversing polarity, they can also be used to heat food. In my experience, they don't cool well if the ambient temperature is much above 70°F, so if you are running without AC on a hot day, things might be a bit yucky after a long drive. A better, but more expensive solution, is to get a portable refrigerator/freezer that uses a conventional compressor to cool. These are available from Dometic, Koolatron, and a handful of others for around $U.S. 800.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shahv2000:
Is there any portable microwave oven or refrigerator which can be used on the odyssey?</font>

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had a Coleman thermoelectric that both cooled and heated, depending on plug orientation. Used it during 4 years of full time RV'ing, and two add'l after settling down. Case finally broke after being bounced around in back of a Ford F250 for 200K miles! Ran out and got another one! It's working fine. Use it every time we go grocery shopping to keep stuff cool and/or frozen in 95F to 100F outside temps. Wouldn't be without one. It also has the 120v converter.

P

·
0 Posts
Since we're on coolers...

Does anyone have a recommendation for what kind to get for the Ody? We always take a big cooler full of stuff on long drives, and I think something that would fit between the captain's charirs would be great.

Thanks,
Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does the car need to be running for the coolers to cool?

Just curious if you had things in the cooler and had to make a stop.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since both lighter sockets are "switched", the van needs to be either running or with the key in the accessory position for the cooler to run.

BTW, I've used a large Koolatron cooler for about 10 years, often on long trips. The stock "can motor" for the cooling fan was absolute junk: it fried it's brushes in less than 6 months! I replaced that with a 12V DC brushless computer fan from Radio Shack: it's lasted 9 years!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wahorn:
Does the car need to be running for the coolers to cool?

Just curious if you had things in the cooler and had to make a stop.
</font>

------------------
Blue 1999 EX Current Mods: block heater * transmission cooler * trailer hitch

Upcoming Mods:
5.6" LCD, VCR, TV antenna, FM modulator, LED glovebox lights
[email protected]

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use the Koolatron P20. I bought it at Camping World. It is slim enough to fit between the seats and it has a handle to carry it.

It works real well.

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I also use a thermoelectric cooler, got an Igloo from SAM's Club for $69.00 (best price found so far) The thing to do with this type of cooler is to have an A/C adapter and plugged in for an hour before you leave to cool things down. After a 3 hour trip, stuff inside will still be frozen. The A/C adapter can be purchased for $30 or so but I made one with a spare 12 volt power supply and a $3 dollar plug to take the cigarette adapter plug.

The only problem is when you turn off the car, the cooler will turn off

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I mounted three power outlets under the driver's seat with the power tapped from the power seat circuits. They're always hot and fused at 20A.

It's easy to do (no wires that need to be hidden), readily accessible, and (normally) unseen.

Mel

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a class B campervan (Sportsmobile) with both a 12v frig/freezer and a microwave. Unless you install a second battery bank and a way of charging it, you really don't want to try using a microwave with an inverter, as they draw a lot of power and suck down batteries quickly (I have three "house" batteries for more than 300 amp hours, and the microwave will even draw these down quickly). Unless you want to do a significant camper conversion to your Odyssey, stick with 12v appliances for heating, and always have the van running for appliances that have a higher power draw so that the alternator is helping with the load rather than just the batteries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 12V compressor fridges (like the Dometic above) are not cheap, but they perform AMAZINGLY. I have a Truckfridge TF51 that usually lives in our camper most of the time. It will keep everything cold to the same standards as a house fridge, and it draws an average of about 1.5A. You do need to start and run your vehicle 1-2X per day to keep the battery from draining when its off.

The site is W W W DOT TRUCKFRIDGE DOT COM (Sorry, can't attach links)

If you use one of these on an always-on 12V outlet, get a low-voltage disconnect to make sure you don't run your battery down to the point of not starting. I have the Prioritystart (look on Amazon).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts