380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW I made a query to the seller.

Reply back to query:

My husband had the roof rails added, he also replaced wheels with aluminum, as he had moulding and handles painted (for better looks).
We sell because we need the money invested elsewhere.
The car has Prior Salvage title. The damage was minor, to the front left. Left fender, left headlight and the bumper were replaced, as was the airbag in the steering wheel.
We bought this car for ourselves and treated it accordingly. The car is in excellent condition, you are very welcome to come and take a look at it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I laugh when I see salvage title cars and the seller says the damage was minor. If it was minor it would have been fixed by insurance and not totaled.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
I laugh when I see salvage title cars and the seller says the damage was minor. If it was minor it would have been fixed by insurance and not totaled.
Yep. Right on. Insurance will fix the car if the damages are below upto 80% of its value so this had to have been expensive to repair for it to be totalled to get a Salvage Title. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
How hard to total a 2005-2010 Odyssey?

Hmm, though I suggest Proceeding Very Carefully with a salvage-title vehicle, I am thinking that it is not that hard, at dealer prices, to total an Odyssey by just breathing on it.

I've experienced the pain of an insurance company totalling out a car over a minor accident because the payout to total out is frequently less than the repair cost. Insurance companies sell "replacement value" riders as an out for this.

I priced some parts for the Odyssey tailgate taillight assembly, and was shocked the overall price with connectors, sockets, and wiring, was something like $550. I'd guess that any decent rear-end collision, unless you used parts from a wrecking yard, would total the car for insurance purposes. It goes to auction, a dealer puts humpty back together with wrecking yard parts, and sells it for about the same as a used non-totalled.

Want to total a EX-L or Touring? Hit it good in the right rear corner; the damage to the rear air conditioning and rear harness breakout alone would probably total it, never mind the tailgate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts