Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many ways I can get to work in the mornings. However, most of the shorter ways are stop and go traffic and take about 30 - 35 minutes. There is another way, taking the back roads, that gets me to the freeway and I can jam to work in about 22 minutes. No traffic, high speeds, much more convenient. The problem? About 8 extra miles, one way. It's really adding up on the odometer. I already have 6500 miles on the 01 LX that I've had only since August 1. (Total miles one way - 21 the long way, 13 the shorter ways.)

Question: Should I keep going the quicker, longer route, or should I start conserving mileage and going the shorter, more wear and tear way? I think I know the answer to this one, but I just want to hear your ideas. Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moonatics:
I already have 6500 miles on the 01 LX that I've had only since August 1.</font>
That's nothing

I already have 15500 km (~9600 miles) on my 01 EX that I have since July 19.

This is 125 km (~80 miles) average per day.
Anybody has more than that?

[This message has been edited by DP (edited 11-20-2001).]

·
Registered
483 Posts
Moonatics:
This is just my $0.02. Wouldn't you rather enjoy your drive and jam to work (boppin' your head up & down)
than be worried about wear & tear. Eventually, the Ody will wear down no matter what. Take care of it (proper maintenance) and it will take care of you. Life is short. Have fun. 5 years from now there will be a new and improved Ody. You'll look back and say "Hey, I enjoyed that one. I want to have more fun by buying the new & improved Ody!.'

Don't worry. Keep crusin' & jammin'

·
Registered
59 Posts
Moonatics,

Take the long route. My experience is that highway miles are much easier on a vehicle than stop and go driving. I used to work 35 miles from my office so my cars always had high mileage on them. 70 miles round trip adds up fast. If you take care of the normal maintenance you shouldn't have any problems. In 4 years I racked up 100K miles on my good old 97 Accord.

Also, I used that mindless highway driving time to line out my day or decompress after a hectic day. A lot less kicking the dog and yelling at the kids.
I don't think I could have done that if I was in stop and go traffic. Not to mention my blood pressure shooting through the roof every time someone cuts you off trying to wedge into a nonexistent spot in your lane.

I now live 5 miles from the office so my heater barely even gets hot before I get to work.

Good Luck,

-John

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's kick the dog and yell at the kids?

Mental note to self...switch up the post- work routine, I've got it backwards.

·
Registered
88 Posts
5 months and 7500 miles. Do 300+ miles per week (easy, highway commute). Hope to rack up a lot of trouble free miles (this is my first Honda). Had three Toyotas before (all ran great). JEFF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts