Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Yesterday, my 2007 Honda Odyssey ( V6) overheated ( temp sensor went right up to the Red zone ). I stopped the vehicle immediately and got it towed to the Hond dealership. It is a Honda certified Van. I took a look under the hood and saw green stuff ( coolant ) splattered across the top of the engine. I also observed a milky white discharge from the radiator. I have attached photos that I took of this mess.

The dealership tells me that somebody intentionally introduced some foreign substance into the radiator because of which I am seeing this issue. I lived in a gated community and have a tough time believing this. Also they tell me that since this is not a manufacturing defect, it is not covered under the Honda warranty. They are charging me $820 to replace the radiator and the coolant.

Is this diagnosis right or am I being ripped off ?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,640 Posts
That white stuff is just dried coolant. Its not a foreign substance. I am strongly leaning towards the dealer trying to rip you off. Seems like your thermostat got stuck or something and caused the coolant to overheat and the heat caused the coolant to leak out from where ever the overflow valve is. On the flip side, the prior owners could have put in something like a stop leak or plain water (from a salty source) v/s distilled water before trading in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for the reply. I have given a call to another trust-worthy mechanic to get his opinion on this.

What is your opinion on replacing the radiator ? Wouldn't a radiator flush solve my issue ?

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
13,640 Posts
If the radiator is clogged from the inside, you should just replace it. Flushing it with pressure might break up the clog and you might could salvage the radiator but its relatively cheap to replace the radiator so if I were in your shoes, I'd just replace it and be done with it once and for all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
That white stuff is just dried coolant. Its not a foreign substance. I am strongly leaning towards the dealer trying to rip you off.
+1

dv_fun,
Try this, put a few drops of coolant on a hot engine. Let it idle and come back in a while. The drops will dry up and look white, just like the milky white splatter you saw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will definitely try that. I really do appreciate all of your collective inputs.

In the meanwhile, the dealership just called me back to tell me that the warranty does cover the radiator and that they will replace the the entire radiator and the assembly unit free of charge. Now I am beginning to suspect what the whole deal was about.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
13,640 Posts
I will definitely try that. I really do appreciate all of your collective inputs.

In the meanwhile, the dealership just called me back to tell me that the warranty does cover the radiator and that they will replace the the entire radiator and the assembly unit free of charge. Now I am beginning to suspect what the whole deal was about.

Thanks,
They probably tried to gamble and tell you its not covered and see if you fell for it. Since you walked, they might have gotten scared and thought that you might call HondaCare and so they called you back saying its covered. If that explanation sounds too cynical, it is. I am very cynical about what the stealers tell me.

On the flip side, it could be an honest mitake by the SA and then they might have talked about it at lunch with other more experienced SAs and called you back out of the goodness of their heart.

Take a pick on which ever explanation you like better. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Maybe they read this post...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts