Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Minivan Comparison Test
Interesting reviews, some of the overall ratings are difficult to understand when you look at the individual stuff.

Also, the latest CR has a review of the Ody, and they mentioned getting 31 mpg on the highway, though listed the mileage in the table at overall of 19 and city of 12! The tested vehicle was an EX-L. They state that it is not as agile as the previous version.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. in the sidebar they list the test results of the Toyota and they have some tags for the other vehicles that did not show the results, so I printed the review and didn't pay any more attention to it. It is 71 pages long!!!! It includes all the comments from readers..... what a waste of paper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't understand whey they chose a Odyssey EX to do this comparison with. They really dinged it for lack of features (no power liftgate, no blue tooth, etc.), but if they moved up to the EX-L they would had everything they wanted to see and the EX-L would still have been the 2nd cheapest van in the comparison. According to my quick math, when you knock the ody down on the price component, but raise it up on the features component (assuming the EX-L has everything you want), the difference would be roughly 3 points and move it into first place.

Not that I need a magazine to validate my choice (especially as I find the Sienna SE hideously ugly), but I just found their choice very odd.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't understand whey they chose a Odyssey EX to do this comparison with. They really dinged it for lack of features (no power liftgate, no blue tooth, etc.), but if they moved up to the EX-L they would had everything they wanted to see and the EX-L would still have been the 2nd cheapest van in the comparison. According to my quick math, when you knock the ody down on the price component, but raise it up on the features component (assuming the EX-L has everything you want), the difference would be roughly 3 points and move it into first place.

Not that I need a magazine to validate my choice (especially as I find the Sienna SE hideously ugly), but I just found their choice very odd.
I 100% agree with you. Lets knock the Oddy for lack of features, when an Oddy EXL would have had those features (back up cam, blue tooth and power tailgate, etc) they were complaing about. An Oddy EXL would have still been far below their $40k test threshold. In fact it would have been cheaper than the $38k+ MSRP Quest that was in the test. That test lost all credibility right there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
2011 Minivan Comparison Test
Interesting reviews, some of the overall ratings are difficult to understand when you look at the individual stuff.

Also, the latest CR has a review of the Ody, and they mentioned getting 31 mpg on the highway, though listed the mileage in the table at overall of 19 and city of 12! The tested vehicle was an EX-L. They state that it is not as agile as the previous version.
I don't put much into CR automotive reviews... gas mileage reports in all automotive reviews depend on too many circumstances I only go by the EPA official #'s when comparing vehicles since their tests are all done exactly.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Oh no! What will the Sienna owners say now?
Who cares, LOL! If people want a 2 (out of 5) star crash rated front passenger vehicle (2011 Sienna) for their family vehicle, than so be it. The sticker on the Sienna I test drove had only 2 stars for right front passenger. Thats pretty poor for a new 2011 vehicle. The overall was 4 stars, still not as good as the Oddy's best in class 5 star.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Who cares, LOL! If people want a 2 (out of 5) star crash rated front passenger vehicle (2011 Sienna) for their family vehicle, than so be it. The sticker on the Sienna I test drove had only 2 stars for right front passenger. Thats pretty poor for a new 2011 vehicle. The overall was 4 stars, still not as good as the Oddy's best in class 5 star.
It'd be interesting to see how Toyota wiggles out of this one. When it's bad, it doesn't simulate real world but when it's good, market it for all it's worth. Their best approach is to maintain silence imo.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, these auto publications are driving me crazy--they are so clueless about minivans. Once again, they test a Sienna SE, which nobody is buying because you can't get them with features that actual minivan drivers want--like leather, an integrated DVD system, etc.

I know the SE is not selling because I truly live in the land of the minivan, and I see new Sienna's literally all the time--and I never, ever, see a SE. And then when I look at dealer inventories, they aren't ordering them either, which tells you that they aren't selling. The LE and XLE appear to be doing just fine.

Anyway, I also don't really understand the notion that the Odyssey is overpriced in today's market, given what people spend on SUVs especially. For the price I actually spent on my Odyssey EXL-RES--not the MSRP, but the $33,058 I paid, which included splash guards and wheel locks--I think its a decent value considering the content.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Once again, i am amazed by the ego over a minivan.

Deal with it, the new odyssey simply is not as good as new Sienna.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Looking at your sig, so the 4WD Sienna does affect the efficiency by a full 10%? Is this a full time system? Do you know how much more added wt. it adds?

And have you driven in the Sierra's during inclement conditions to test the advantages?

Once again, i am amazed by the ego over a minivan.

Deal with it, the new odyssey simply is not as good as new Sienna.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looking at your sig, so the 4WD Sienna does affect the efficiency by a full 10%?
Yes.

Is this a full time system?
No, slip and grip

Do you know how much more added wt. it adds?
245lbs

And have you driven in the Sierra's during inclement conditions to test the advantages?
Yes, AWD makes a world of difference for all "on-power" situations. And Yes, before everybody freaks out, it doesn't necessarily help in stopping conditions, and winter tires for example would be more valuable in stopping conditions if you could only have either tires or AWD.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Looking at your sig, so the 4WD Sienna does affect the efficiency by a full 10%? Is this a full time system? Do you know how much more added wt. it adds?

1. The limited AWD weighs close to 4800 lb, the XLE FWD weighs 4310 lb. So it roughtly 10% more weight.

2. Don't think its full time.

I drove it through UTAH zion national park through a blizzard. Traction was great. Got over 10" of snow that day. Going up hill was no problem. Love the system.

But gas mileage does suck on AWD. It just weighs like a boat.

·
Registered
506 Posts
1. The limited AWD weighs close to 4800 lb, the XLE FWD weighs 4310 lb. So it roughtly 10% more weight.
You can't compare an XLE to a Limited AWD. The Limited 2WD weighs in at 4490 and the Limited AWD weighs in at 4725 which makes the AWD system 235 pounds or thereabouts.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can't compare an XLE to a Limited AWD. The Limited 2WD weighs in at 4490 and the Limited AWD weighs in at 4725 which makes the AWD system 235 pounds or thereabouts.
No no. My other sienna is a FWD XLE premium pkg. I was comparing my two Sienna (since my mpg is based on these 2 van), which is 4310 vs 4725, or 415 lb heavier. Roughly 10%.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
No no. My other sienna is a FWD XLE premium pkg. I was comparing my two Sienna (since my mpg is based on these 2 van), which is 4310 vs 4725, or 415 lb heavier. Roughly 10%.
Thanks for the response. In our recent "blizzard" we had 22" on new snow and I ventured out in the Ody only to find FWD on new loose snow is a bear to plow through. The traction control sucked big time. One block had me stuck a multitude of times and you could smell the front lining burning up at the end of the block.

Snow was so deep the undercarridge scrapped severely and I had to be pushed a multitude of times with the TC on.....

I ultimately found that turning off the TC and locking it in 1st gear revving it up to 4500-5000 rpm (right where the VTEC kicks in) was the better alternative "clawing" my way down to the pavement and proceeding back home.

My 40,000 mile Michelin X's didn't help it either....duhhh....

Oh I would have loved 4WD that afternoon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the response. In our recent "blizzard" we had 22" on new snow and I ventured out in the Ody only to find FWD on new loose snow is a bear to plow through. The traction control sucked big time. One block had me stuck a multitude of times and you could smell the front lining burning up at the end of the block.

Snow was so deep the undercarridge scrapped severely and I had to be pushed a multitude of times with the TC on.....

I ultimately found that turning off the TC and locking it in 1st gear revving it up to 4500-5000 rpm (right where the VTEC kicks in) was the better alternative "clawing" my way down to the pavement and proceeding back home.

My 40,000 mile Michelin X's didn't help it either....duhhh....

Oh I would have loved 4WD that afternoon.

With 22" of snow, i don't think my Sienna would fare significantly better. I think you definitely need better tires though.

Snow tire still the way to go. Like Snow mike said, stopping is still treacherous. But going up hill when u need traction the most, it was great.

One thing that i did not like on the Sienna is that the front defroster seems to be very weak. It does not do a good job keeping the windshield clear.

I would have gotten another AWD, but i need a 8 passenger van since i now have permanent guest family in my house for next 5 years. We got the XLE premium at great price of $35,588. I was going to get a 2011 Touring to do another comparison. But the timing isn't right. If Honda offered $5k incentive like they did in 2007, i would have done another long term comparison.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
With 22" of snow, i don't think my Sienna would fare significantly better. I think you definitely need better tires though.

Snow tire still the way to go. Like Snow mike said, stopping is still treacherous. But going up hill when u need traction the most, it was great.

One thing that i did not like on the Sienna is that the front defroster seems to be very weak. It does not do a good job keeping the windshield clear.

I would have gotten another AWD, but i need a 8 passenger van since i now have permanent guest family in my house for next 5 years. We got the XLE premium at great price of $35,588. I was going to get a 2011 Touring to do another comparison. But the timing isn't right. If Honda offered $5k incentive like they did in 2007, i would have done another long term comparison.
Yes if we had frequent 20 plus inches of snowfall, Bizzaks would be a good choice but interestingly, for over 2 decades, this was the 1st instance I had trouble with traction living in Chicago City proper. Usually the street get heavily salted and plowed rather quickly. Such was not the case as of late with the accumulation literally crippling the city and shutting down most businesses.

If there is a 5K incentive, I'd go out and buy a new one too....Sienna or Ody....both are great in their own respective arena's.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.