Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using the Odyssey, there are a few things I wish it had in the minivan that aren't there. Here's some of what's on my list. What's on yours?

1. Blu-ray player.
2. AirPlay capability for the RES to directly stream video from iPhones/iPads.
3. Internet connected traffic updates with Google Maps-like traffic display and automatic rerouting to intelligently determine the quickest path.
4. Apps support for iPhone, especially the ability to stream Pandora and maybe even Skype video calls on the RES.
5. WiFi hotspot in the vehicle (connected through a phone, perhaps).
6. Buttons to turn the rear interior lights on/off from the driver's seat.
7. Traffic-adjusting cruise control/accident avoidance.
8. Sync music hard drive with iTunes over WiFi, simply by pulling into the garage.
9. Front parking camera/automated parallel parking.
10. Smart Key System (or whatever Honda's name for it is)!

...and...

11. iPod connectivity and A2DP Bluetooth audio that actually work properly.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Even more 'kids friendly':

- 3 latch system on the 3rd row
- Easier access to the 3rd row when 3 car seats are installed on the 2nd row (front-facing would do, not asking for much :D)
- Ability to fully disengage electric door mechanisms so there is minimum rolling resistance (doors are heavy for natural reasons but still). This is so the kids learn how to open/close doors manually for a change

Wishful thinking:
- More driver/car engagement features i.e. 6MT (Manual Transmission, wife and I miss it) or at least paddle shifters ;)
- Better engine technology is due for better fuel economy. VCM is nice but only if you drive a lot of highway

Gizmos:
All working as expected (bluetooth phone, USB, HDD library). XM radio will go and wife was not happy to get the RES so its usage is restricted to very long trips (we're yet to use it :()

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gizmos:
All working as expected (bluetooth phone, USB, HDD library). XM radio will go and wife was not happy to get the RES so its usage is restricted to very long trips (we're yet to use it :() [/B]
I understand why you do that, but i don't. My kids watch it all day when we're in the van 5 minute trips, to hour trips. They however, don't watch tv until 5pm, and only if i'm cooking dinner. Otherwise tv's off.

that 5 minute around town time isn't going to hurt them, lol. Well, i guess it depends on the kids' ages. lol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
hybrid. is there no better vehicle candidate than a minivan for this tech? tons of battery space. lotta short trips with multiple stops. and the correct demographic.

bring back the touch screen.

a couple things the minivan is not (and need not pretend to be).
a sports car.
your mancave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
vqdriver said:

a couple things the minivan is not (and need not pretend to be).

your mancave.

Rats...so much for adding a draught beer system behind the third row seats. :alky:

(Agree with the hybrid assessment, though)werd

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
vqdriver said:
a sports car.
Fun-To-Drive + Better Driver-Car Engagement does not necessarily mean that it has to be a sports car. Driving your kids around does not have to be boring.

Remember, it is not how fast you can get from point A to point B, but how much fun you have to get there. If you enjoy driving, you know what the Odyssey is missing :p

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
What about this one? I just wouldn't want to see a first year model bug for this :stupid:

Another innovation is called Easy Fill Tire Alert. The system makes filling tires, well, easy. When the tire-inflation monitor signals that a tire is low, the driver no longer needs a tire gauge. The technology recognizes that the tires are being filled by flashing the hazard lights. When the correct tire pressure is reached, the Quest beeps the horn.

2011 Nissan Quest Test Drive, Popular Mechanics

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sienna features wanted on Odyssey

Coming from a 2004 Sienna, we miss a few features the Sienna XLE LTD AWD had that the Odyssey does not.

1. the power door controls should be in the middle so the front passenger can control them too, not just the driver

2. the rear quarter windows should be able to open (powered like the others)

And hopefully someday, Honda would make the Odyssey AWD.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, had you gotten a 2011 Sienna Limited AWD, you still would have lost features as Toyota decided to remove some of the ones previously standard. ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: Re: Minivan of the Future Features You Crave!

vqdriver said:
that's a great idea. now that i know it's not there, it's gonna bug me :D
You know you can turn the interior lights on from the front seats. I'm assuming you mean individually?

My wife wants a limo partition behind the front seats.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Re: Minivan of the Future Features You Crave!

hasenpfeffer said:
You know you can turn the interior lights on from the front seats. I'm assuming you mean individually?

My wife wants a limo partition behind the front seats.
I didn't. Thanks!

I assumed the switch by the front dome lights only controlled those dome lights alone.

It still might be nice to control the back separately, but the current implementation works for what I wanted.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vqdriver said:
hybrid. is there no better vehicle candidate than a minivan for this tech? tons of battery space. lotta short trips with multiple stops.
Good one! I can't believe they don't have one in the US, yet, either.

In Japan, they have one called the Toyota Estima.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: Sienna features wanted on Odyssey

teamTMS said:
Coming from a 2004 Sienna, we miss a few features the Sienna XLE LTD AWD had that the Odyssey does not.

1. the power door controls should be in the middle so the front passenger can control them too, not just the driver

2. the rear quarter windows should be able to open (powered like the others)

And hopefully someday, Honda would make the Odyssey AWD.
Also, although I never have had the power door buttons in the center, one time when I was using a Sienna, I found it annoying to have to twist around and lean inside the car to open or close a door when standing outside the car since the Odys are right inside on the dash. I guess its a matter of what your used to. I also don't normally have passengers and when I do none of them would have any interest in operating the doors but I understand that reasoning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
vqdriver said:
hybrid. is there no better vehicle candidate than a minivan for this tech? tons of battery space. lotta short trips with multiple stops. and the correct demographic.

I agree that we need a hybrid minivan - when will it happen?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
thomcatbob said:
I agree that we need a hybrid minivan - when will it happen?
No business case, the premium would be too high. Also, thanks to its weight, I doubt significant gas savings can be really gained, it is like the VCM, unless your commute is mostly highway I don't see a big difference :(

·
Registered
712 Posts
Auto leveling rear suspension.

Rain sensing wipers.

Power retracting side steps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts