Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping that those who read this "accessories" forum might have the answers that the "road trippers" didn't have.

We will be towing a small fiberglass travel trailer (nominal 17 feet, 2800 pounds, and 7'-10" wide) with our Ody.

Ody's mirrors aren't wide enough to let us see around the trailer.

What works best, mount-on-the-fender, or mount-on-the-mirrors/stick-out-further, mirrors? Any recommendations? Any photos? Any photos of tricked-out 1" ground clearance Ody's with wide mirrors?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I don't think I've seen an Ody with the extended mirrors mounted on it yet.

If you come up with anything, let us know! I'd love to get used Bayliner next summer and I'm sure I'll need the mirrors with that.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Moleman:
I'm hoping that those who read this "accessories" forum might have the answers that the "road trippers" didn't have.

We will be towing a small fiberglass travel trailer (nominal 17 feet, 2800 pounds, and 7'-10" wide) with our Ody.

Ody's mirrors aren't wide enough to let us see around the trailer.

What works best, mount-on-the-fender, or mount-on-the-mirrors/stick-out-further, mirrors? Any recommendations? Any photos? Any photos of tricked-out 1" ground clearance Ody's with wide mirrors?

thanks in advance.
</font>
Hey Moleman, are you still here? What trailer are you pulling, how do you like it, etc.? I've been looking at the 17' Casita, the 16' Scamp, and the Burro.

I can't seem to get a response from Burro. Someone on Ebay claimed they were out of business, yet their Website seems current. I've been unable to get them to answer their phone so far, and no answering machine... also no response to my email. They are the closest to me, but I'm getting leary of them if they are in business.

So, I am currently leaning toward the Casita out of Texas. The 17' model I could barely stand upright in wearing shoes, which would be sufficient, but the brochure I just got shows more weight, in particular hitch weight, than their main website. Which seems problematic, yet the 16' one only has a 5' 10" interior height.

Now the 16' Scamp (out of MN) has a 6' 3" interior height like the 17' Casita, and much better hitch/trailer weight according to their brochure that I got today. Yet I do like the Casita set up better, ...hopefully the brochures are wrong and the website is correct, I'll have to check that out with them.

Anyway, if anyone has any info or personal experience with these makes... I'd appreciate your imput also.

Moleman,
As far as your mirror question, what did you find out? I'm under the impression that the standard mirrors are sufficient for the small fiberglass travel trailers.

Here's an old 1999 article from Trailer Life on a 17' Casita being pulled by a 1999 Odyssey which indicates the standard mirrors worked fine. The weights listed though, are lower than current "brochure" info....

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/article.html

Current "brochure" indicates a 365 lb. _dry_ hitch weight (and before options) on the Deluxe 17' Freedom Model, versus 255 lbs. on the 16', or only 175 lbs. on the Scamp 16' Side Dinette. The 365 lbs. wouldn't be bad if it was "wet" weight, and with options installed... but seems cutting it a bit close for "dry" weight? Any opinions??

Thanks,
Skybolt

·
Registered
301 Posts
I haven't found any custom mirror extensions for thr Ody. I was using a strap on mirror which works well on the passenger side to see around my Trillium trailer when I towed with my Dodge Caravan. It is easy to take on and off and I usually stow it away when I get to the campsite.
I haven't towed with the Ody but the Ody has much larger mirrors than the DC did. You may not need the extension.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts