Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a lovely check engine light glowing in the cabin and the codes that come up are multiple misfires and a crankshaft position sensor code. The thing is, our Odyssey is starting and running great with no obvious symptoms besides the Check Engine Light.

NTB told us to replace spark plugs and coils and go from there.
Another group told us it may all be caused by a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Anyone have any experience with this? We are not DIY capable around here, so we are at the mercy of opinions.

We have 140k miles and we haven't replaced SPlugs ever. When we bought it, it had approx 98k miles.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just spoke with NTB again and there was not a crankshaft position sensor code showing.. but rather a multiple misfires code and then misfires on every cylinder.

Sorry for the mispost.

Since we have no other symptoms (starts fine... doesn't cut out, etc) we would love to wait to fix...

My main questions are:
1. Is there a chance that we go from totally fine to not-starting in an instant if we wait to fix?
2. Would waiting possibly cause significant damage?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
1. All crystal balls have been recalled so can't determine if it will get worse.
2. Excwssive fuel will damage the catalytic converter over time.

There are several threads here on diagnosing and fixing multiple misfires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgive me all... I shouldn't have posted. I thought I had searched and not found what I was looking for at first... and then I couldn't edit my first post since it was too long... etc. Anyhow... sorry for posting.

It turns out, we need new cat converters. So... we're glad we didn't replace all the spark plugs and coils that was initially suggested.

Anyhow... back to your regularly scheduled programming... and sorry for the noob post.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
No worry.

BEST thing you can do from now on is to buy an inexpensive OBD-II Code Reader for $50-100 and read the codes yourself.

I have been using "Actron" brand and happy with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts