Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Occasionally our 2008 Touring will throw a P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0303, putting the van in limp mode. This only seems to happen though after the van has been driven up to operating temp, and then parked and idled for a while (usually when my wife runs into the store, so could be 15-45min of idle). After I put it back into drive and start to take off it feels as if the van has no power at all and then it misfires. The last time it happened I had my scan tool in the van but not running when it happened. I turned it on after the misfire and restarted the van. As always the van restarts and is out of limp mode but it didn't detect any further misfires.

I recently had to replace the valve covers on the van as the metal had warped to the point there were holes below the spark tubes. Not only that but cylinder 4 and 5 had oil getting into the spark tubes via the rings. I checked all 6 plugs (replaced with NGK's at the same time i did covers) and no more oil has been getting into the tubes.

Any thoughts as to what else could be causing the back bank to misfire? The only "mod" i have is a VCMTuner 2....and I have not had ECO mode engage since I installed it....not even once :)

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Unusual problem.

Has the PCV valve ever been replaced? It's a long shot, but excess oil might be temporarily fouling the plugs or impeding the combustion during the fuel-rich and cool-combustion conditions of long idling.

What was the condition of the old spark plugs? How many miles are on your van?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I suppose changing habit of leaving van idle while shopping is non-negotiable! :whistle:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unusual problem.

Has the PCV valve ever been replaced? It's a long shot, but excess oil might be temporarily fouling the plugs or impeding the combustion during the fuel-rich and cool-combustion conditions of long idling.

What was the condition of the old spark plugs? How many miles are on your van?
I had replaced the PCV on the original valve covers before realizing they were puking oil down the front of the engine lol. When I got the new covers from Honda, they came with a new one on it.

The old plugs looked normal...no fowling. Van has 148K on it as of today.

Miles?
Have you done a valve adjustment?

I checked the gaps during the cover change and everything felt ok (first time I have done it though) but I did notice that the rocker arm on cyl 4 looked different than the rest. Cannot remember what the rears looked like....not sure if that is normal or if that means it had work done on it in the past.

I suppose changing habit of leaving van idle while shopping is non-negotiable! :whistle:
lol I don't always do it, but when it is cold out, or when the kids are in the car I usually have to...gotta put that entertainment package to good use :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Easy fix, keep a few blankets in the car.

Shutting off car forces the computer to restart cylinders it has shut down, as the computer assumes that you have tried to fix problem. You can do this as many times as you like.

Your plugs are probably fouling during extended idle. Run a test at home. Pull a plug before idle, idle car, and pull a plug again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts