Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Honda Odyssey was driving it one day and all the sudden it started shaking and engine light was flashing and TCS light comes on.. I had all coil packs and spark plugs replaced still did it. Took back to mechanic said he had to clean the valves.. Got it back 2 days later still misfiring at slow start ups. The guy says the codes are saying misfires on 1,3 and 5 coil packs and has given up on helping me figure it out.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have an 03 Honda Odyssey was driving it one day and all the sudden it started shaking and engine light was flashing and TCS light comes on.. I had all coil packs and spark plugs replaced still did it. Took back to mechanic said he had to clean the valves.. Got it back 2 days later still misfiring at slow start ups. The guy says the codes are saying misfires on 1,3 and 5 coil packs and has given up on helping me figure it out.
has the van been put on a proper scanner for honda or just an obdii scanner.
its possible you're having an issue with the PCM.
do you have a list of all the codes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No dont have a list of the codes... He just said it showed codes for the coil packs even though they were just changed. Im going to go to AutoZone tomorrow and have them scan it

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
get them to run a honda specific diag.

I invested in a foxwell for these type of scans, but there are cheaper alternatives.

report back, maybe someone has an idea of where else to start looking.

crank/camshaft sensor, fuel issue etc...

usually when I see issues point to multiple coils at the same time, its not the coils.
swapping around the coils is a good way to troubleshoot that.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
If you have the ability to get them to do a fuel pressure test, that would be helpful in ruling that out.
I think 57-64 psi is the range you're looking for on the J35
maybe someone else here can confirm?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Did you replace coils/plugs with OEM parts? And were careful, to not "switch", the coil connectors by mistake. (hope that makes sense).

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Any "mechanic" who just replaces all coil packs and spark plugs should be replaced. A misfire can be caused by many things, of which coil packs and spark plugs are but one of the many.

With it happening suddenly and on both banks, I'd be concerned about possibly a slipped timing belt. How long since your last timing belt replacement?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to sure bought the van 2 years ago with 280,000 miles on it. It now has 325,000 miles on it. Never had any problems with it till now besides front end issues. Engine has always been good till now. Now is misfires randomly after all the coil packs and spark plugs changed...seems to misfire the most at 1rpm if i do a fast start hiking it up to the 2rpm it does not misfire... Seems to me i got a mechanic who doesnt know what he is doing and already put 500 dollars in the labor and parts he has done.

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
So, at least 45K miles on the timing belt and likely much more than that as nobody would sell it right after putting a timing belt on it. You need to find a mechanic who will actually diagnose it rather than just throw parts at it spending your money hoping he accidentally finds the cure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah he said he diagnosed it saying it was coul pack 4 first then the second time coil pack 5, so i replaced them all along with spark plugs still misfired... He had it for a week then said he was going to clean the valves worked for 2 days and again misfireing. He put it back on the scanner thing he says it shows 1,3 and 5 coil pack misfiring

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
I can test a computer with a test light. So, you mechanic is short more than just the tools needed.

I'd also be concerned about what brand of parts were used. Just because a part is "new" doesn't mean it is "good."

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Also, the scan tool does NOT show which "coil packs" are misfiring. It tells you which cylinders are misfiring. You can have perfect spark in a cylinder but that cylinder can still misfire. Could be injector issues or compression issues.

Take your vehicle to a different shop and ask for a proper diagnostic to be done on it as to the exact cause of the misfires. No more parts cannons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, the scan tool does NOT show which "coil packs" are misfiring. It tells you which cylinders are misfiring. You can have perfect spark in a cylinder but that cylinder can still misfire. Could be injector issues or compression issues.

Take your vehicle to a different shop and ask for a proper diagnostic to be done on it as to the exact cause of the misfires. No more parts cannons.
Ok thank you

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
See if you can find out the brand of coils and spark plugs used. There are lots of cheapo brands out there and there's a good chance the old coils were better than what they were replaced with. I see it all too often.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts