Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Misfiring Cylinder 5.

282 2
Hey there everyone,

I recently found this amazing forum while doing some Google-fu after running into some issues on a family road trip. While driving along the highway, I caught a CEL while driving. We were driving at highway speed, 120km/h and when we came to a steep hill, the van downshifted once or twice and then hit me with CEL and started jerking really hard. I limped it up the hill and turned the engine off for a minute before trying again. This had happened a couple times a couple years ago and turning the engine off fixed it, but not this time.

When we arrived at our destination, I pulled all the spark plugs. Cylinders 2, 3 and 5 were pretty badly fouled with 5 being the worst. I replaced all of the spark plugs and reset the codes. After turning the engine back on, the code for misfiring cylinder 5 came back on after a couple seconds at just idle. I moved the coil packs around and the code says on cylinder 5. I pulled the coil pack and spark plug from cylinder 5 and grounded the plug while turning the engine on and saw that the plug was correctly sparking.

I'm aware that I need to get the VCM muzzler after just learning about it, but am not certain that that is related to my issue right now? My '09 Odyssey is at 282k kms and I'm not sure if the car is near end of life, or if there's something I'm missing? As long as I ensure plugs aren't fouled and oil is topped off is it safe to ignore CEL and drive the van around? idle does feel a little rough.

Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,422 Posts
End of life? Nowhere close. These engines can be good for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Don't drive with misfires, you'll ruin the catalytic converter in short order.

Make sure your cylinder numbering is correct.

The three cylinders closest to the interior of the vehicle are labeled 1-3 starting from the one furthest to the passenger side.

The three cylinder closest to the radiator are labeled 4-6 starting from the one furthest to the passenger side.

Replacing the spark plugs should take care of the misfires at least temporarily but you need to disable VCM to keep them from coming back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The code for misfire is staying after clearing it. It comes back on within a few seconds of turning the engine back on even at idle. Is this something greater or will the VCM tuner take care of that?

Also idle feels a little rough so I don't believe it's necessarily in error.

Yes, the using your explanation it is indeed cylinder 5.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts