Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my ac is very smelly, i proceed to replace the filter using forum instructions (btw thank everyone, help available on forum is awesome), well, every thing was fine, follow procedure and.. surprise! finally i get access to the filter holder and NO filter on it, any sugestions on removing odors? should i put a filter? any extra cleaning tip? why do you think no filter on it?, any sugestion welcome

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Do you have a LX? They didn't come with the filter. See the big cabin filter replacement thread (most likely you are already looking at it just not all posts) on how to install one in a LX.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
The previous owner likely removed the cabin filter to save the expense of replacing it.

First, check that the evaporator drain tube is clear. Pour some water in the air inlet under the hood at the base of the windshield and you should see it drain onto the ground near the front passenger tire.

The smell is probably bacteria or mould on the evaporator. (It's also not healthy to inhale this stuff.) Purchase a cleaner made for this purpose from your local automotive store.

Once you use this and the smell is gone, install a new cabin filter. (Not before, because the cabin filter will impede the cleaner.)

In the future, shut off the AC a few minutes before you arrive at your destination. This will allow any condensation on the evaporator to dry out so new nasties can't grow on it. This is especially important if you were using the AC to defrost the windshield on a cool, damp day. (Note that the AC comes on automatically when you select defrost.)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Did not realize that LXs didnt have filters... Makes me feel better about not changing the filters on our Lx ;)
My 2000 LX has a filter and was definatly in from the factory, cause I had to cut the plastic (as per proceedure). Not sure why they made it so hard to change. My Dodge was super easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts