Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a deposit down on a 2002 EXL RES just before Christmas but its not scheduled to come in until next month. In the meantime I have been reading a lot of these posts about porous engines, tranny problems, etc. Needless to say, I am getting a bit nervous about the whole thing. I'm even thinking about looking at a different minivan or getting an extended warranty which I NEVER have done in the past and have never regreted.

I have never owned a Honda before but I have friends that swear by them. Am I getting nervous for nothing or should I start thinking about a Sienna? If you current owners knew then what you know now, would you still go for the Ody? A little feedback from some current owners would help. Good news or bad...

Whoops! Posted in wrong forum. Meant to post to "Problems and Concerns"

[This message has been edited by robinsonmr (edited 01-14-2002).]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wrong forum aside..

Sienna's aren't problem-free either. And, you stand to lose a lot by switching from the Odyssey to any other minivan.

There's no way I'd trade a 2002 Ody for any other 2002 or earlier model minivan. I may buy an extended warranty ($875 7/100/0) just to be safe (and at $875 for a $30000 vehicle, why not?), but I'm not giving up the crash safety, roominess, real suspension, 240HP, 5-speed (huge difference from our 01 4 spd), _magic seat_, rear disc brakes, interior flexibility, etc... just because there MIGHT be some mechanical problems to worry about.

If you are truly nervous about it, wait and maybe get a new redesigned Sienna. But again, Toyota ain't perfect either.

Honda won't let there be a big downfall of the Honda name by letting one of their most popular vehicles break on everyone. Trust in them... they have a lot at stake here.

My 2 cents..

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

·
Registered
192 Posts
These type of forums will always bring out the "bad" more than the good. People want solutions to problems and they usually don't post to a forum just to say how great life is. Any forum will be weighted toward "problems." This is not just a Honda thing. Every single car make has the same problems listed on these boards... learn form the posts, don't fear them. The Ody is a great product... if it were not, it would not be flying off the showroom floors. Keep your deposit and enjoy this vehicle for all it's worth... you will not regret the purchase of an Ody. Buy the extended warranty. It has nothing to do with a Honda or any other make. Vehicles are more technical today... alot more moving parts, more electrical systems, computers, etc. It is a very cheap insurance policy.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Fear not! I've had my ody for 2 years now, 16,000 miles, and have not one issue yet! It's a Honda for crying out loud! and the highest rated minivan ever for safety, quality and overall appeal!

I do work at a Toyota dealer and was talking to a tech last week....they have a new Sienna in the shop with a cracked cylinder block! ouch! happens to everything...and I've seen quite a few BAD problems at the toyota service that I haven't seen in years past.

------------------
Owner:
1991 Honda Civic SiR: B16A DOHC VTEC powered visit at: http://turbocivic.8m.com
2000 Honda Odyssey LX: Wings West body kit, H&R springs, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com
1991 Honda Civic Basemodel: Bolt on mods, winter car, visit at: http://trickedodyssey.8m.com/91civicbase.html

Any questions related to honda and your ODY? just email me! [email protected]

Need speed? Need a Tricked Odyssey? www.pri-racing.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts