Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a hotly debated topic, but I have 2 cases of Mobil 1 0W-40 leftover from the BMW I sold to buy the wife an ODY. I understand those of you who prefer to put in only what Honda tells you and I take no issue with that, but is anyone using or has used this in an ODY in the far north where I am?? The BMW had a slightly higher oil pressure system, that's the only thing I am concerned about is with 40 oil will the ODY have enough pressure to create sufficient flow for proper lubrication ????

thanks, J

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would stick with what's recommended for the motor.
This... Or use the 0-40W oil since you already have it, as it won't hurt anything. There's lots of pseudo-experts that will tell you different things, so just flip a coin and/or do what you want. I used to run a 44-car fleet for one of my companies, and the maintenance manager always insisted on (and got) Mobil 1 Synthetic oil for each and every car and truck, and we never ever had an engine wear issue, even after hundreds of thousands of miles... The Mobil won't harm your engine in any way. :D

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The Honda Odyssey is just another gasoline engine.

0W40 is fine in the Ody, especially where you live.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
+1. That's an expensive, high quality motor oil. I wouldn't let it go to waste.

FWIW, that's an ideal oil for outdoor power equipment as well.

Joel

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's a really good oil. But the engine was designed for a less viscous oil and in that respect it may not be ideal. Some engine clearances may be designed for a 20w or 30w oil. OTH chances of it actually causing harm are basically nil. It will pump and flow fine. I'd use it.

Where you live has nothing to do with whether the base weight will be appropriate for the engine. Shortly after start up the oil will be at operating temperature and it will remain there while the engine runs regardless of outside conditions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My only concern with using a non-spec weighted oil is in the VCM (this applies only to models with the VCM engine). Because the VCM uses oil pressure to activate and deactivate certain cyllinders via cycling valve train activation on and off, a different weight oil could have an impact on system functioning. I believe this is a known problem with the Chrysler MDS system (e.g., use of oils other than 0W-20 are known to cause the MDS to malfunction), I do not have any specific information to say this is an issue on the Honda VCM motors.

See excerpt from a different webpage on variable valve timing engines:

Honda
Honda introduced its Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system in 2005 in the J-series V6 3.5L and the 3.0L.
Honda’s VCM system initially deactivated an entire bank of cylinders at light load, with the engine switching from 6- to 3-cylinder operation. Currently the system goes from 6- to 4- to 3-cylinder operation, and a really great animated illustration of how the system operates is at www.hondavcm643.com. Click on the “How VCM 643 works” tab. Road speed, rpm, and throttle position are the major factors used in determining when the engine switches to 3-cylinder mode.

Deactivation of cylinders is achieved by releasing a synchronizer pin that normally interlocks the cam follower and rocker arms (see Figure 7, page 38). The synchronizer pin is released using hydraulic pressure which is controlled by a dedicated solenoid. Once the synchronizer pin is released, the cam follower continues to move against the camshaft but the rocker arms and valves remain in a closed position.

Honda also does something unique that will be up and coming on a number of vehicles. An Active Noise Control (ANC) system uses the audio system speakers to cancel undesirable engine boom during 3 cylinder operation. The ANC controller uses two microphones inside the cabin and generates an out-of-phase signal to cancel out the sound waves. ANC is not used during six-cylinder operation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it probably won't kill your engine, but it's probably not a good idea to run an oil that is two weight-levels above the recommended oil weight. Not only that, but a 0-40 oil will be a fair amount heavier at startup so it will be a longer period of time with less lubrication. Maybe just sell it on craigslist or something?

·
Registered
219 Posts
it probably won't kill your engine, but it's probably not a good idea to run an oil that is two weight-levels above the recommended oil weight. Not only that, but a 0-40 oil will be a fair amount heavier at startup so it will be a longer period of time with less lubrication. Maybe just sell it on craigslist or something?
At start-up, the 0w-40 will "act" thinner than the 5w-20. At operating temp, the 0w-40 will have more viscosity. Higher weights can reduce fuel economy due to parasitic loss at the oil pump and as the internals move through a thicker film of oil.

My question is whether or not the thicker weight will impact the VTEC or VCM. My understanding is that the VCM uses the VTEC to essentially keep the valves on the rear cylinder bank from opening (first gen VCM). VTEC uses oil ported through passages within the camshaft and rocker arms to link the rocker arms for a given cylinder (intake or exhaust) to a third rocker arm which follows a different cam profile...not sure how the VCM keeps those same rocker arms from opening the valves. In any event, change oil weight and the VTEC system may not behave as designed...but I haven't run across anyone who's had a problem first hand.

Check this out to learn more about VTEC:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow !! thanks for all the responses, I hadn't considered the VCM being an issue, now I'm actually kind of curious. I think I will put the 0-40 in tomorrow and I will give you guys a report in a couple weeks.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow !! thanks for all the responses, I hadn't considered the VCM being an issue, now I'm actually kind of curious. I think I will put the 0-40 in tomorrow and I will give you guys a report in a couple weeks.

Thanks everyone
Betcha a sprinkled donut, in a couple of weeks, your report will be, "I can't tell the difference," unless you change it to "I can't tell the difference, and it's Thursday" just to win a sprinkled donut. :DD

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first oil change my Honda dealer service department did for my 2010 Ody used Mobile One 10W30 instead of recommended 0W20. I asked them to drain and replace it. They said it made little difference except to reduce the gasoline mileage a few percent. I have run the Ody for nearly a year since than oil change with no issues.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If it were me (and I am very frugal, would not want to waste oil) I would "blend my own" using 2 quarts of the 0w-40 and 2.5 quarts of the recommended 5w-20.

This way, you don't waste any oil, but the end result is that you are never running a full 40w oil either, you will probably be more at 30w when warmed up, which we all know is perfectly fine in this engine.

Just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Ody, and I figured the only reason they insist on 0w20 oil now to better meet CAFE standards, and a 5w40 or 0w40 oil would provide better engine protection. I have some 0w40 oil leftover from and earlier Benz I had. Initially, I used Mobile 0w20, and did not like the noisy starts. then I started using Mobile 5w30 and I think I liked that better. Now, getting bold, tried the Castrol ( Belgian made) 0w40. This is an excellent PAO stock based synthetic , meeting all kinds of vendor certifications. But, to my surprise the van did run noticeably noisier. Basically when it revs over 2500 RPM, it sounds rather loud and angry. Just driving slowly on back roads, 20 -35 MPH, it just sounded noticeably louder, and perhaps downshifting more aggressively. It scared me enough that I ditched the 0w40, and replaced it w 0w20 the next day. it was like:I really want to use the Castrol but am I imagining this? Has this car always been this noisy? I dont think so. ..

So maybe there is something to "this engine is actually designed for the 0w20 that both the manual and the oil cap says we should be using". It not just me, it is my wife's car. She does not usually care, or pay attention to engine noises. but noticed it as well, kinda "what is wrong with this car, it sounds louder". With the 0w20 mobile-1, it is back to "normal". So purely on a subjective basis and based on the level of engine noise, I found the car was most quiet using a 0w30 mobile-1 synthetic. I am a musician, so tend to pay attention to sounds more than anything else). I am all for critical thinking, and not accepting blindly any authority. but I am beginning wonder: Do the folks who advocate the higher viscosity oils for the Ody have a sound basis, or is it just supersititon?

Could this engine be actually designed to require the thinner oil? Maybe with the higher viscosity (at operating temperatures) lubricant, some parts of the engine do not get a sufficient amount of lubrication? I would love to hear from a knowledgeable honda tech .

BTW The oil change interval based on engine computer prompting usually works out to 7000-75000 miles. I am only using fully synthetic, tried Penzzoil 0w20, Mobil-1 0w20, Mobile 0w30.. Castrol 0w40...Does anybody have recent experience trying higher film strength, higher viscosity oil in a recent year Ody?

·
Registered
2 Posts
No the "0" part is the cold temperature viscosity, that is the same on the 0w20 and the 0w40.
And, even a 5w vs. 0w difference would only come into play at really cold winter temperatures.

The second number is the "at operating engine temp" viscosity.
The $1000000 question: does the engine have any specific design features that "require" the thinner oil when at normal operating temperature?

In other words is the w20 part BS, that the manufacturer just recommends solely for the sake of better fuel economy (not caring much about
engine longevity past the warranty) or can the thinner oil be factually better for engine lubrication and engine wear?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
What a strange thread. Our Odyssey engine requires 5W-20 oil. Don’t use anything else.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
You can use 0w-20 on the gen3 vans. The dealer does all the time. Don't use heavier oils or you run the risk of having issues with the variable valve timing parts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts