Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used Mobil 1 5w20 or 5w30 in our 02 Odyssey. At 150,000 miles, I'm thinking about switching over to the high mileage version of Mobil 1. Can't imagine there's any downside, and I'd be glad to do what I can to prevent leaking/weeping. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just my opinion...

I've always used regular Mobil 1 myself and wondered if the high mileage stuff was just marketing. I would think if you don't have any oil consumption or leaks you could just stick with the regular Mobil 1. Assuming that regular Mobil 1 did its job and the internals are still like new how would high mileage help? Although I guess like you say, it probably wouldn't hurt. Is the high mileage version more expensive?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price is the same....about $27 for 5 qt. jug at Walmart. My thinking is that seals and such are eventually going to weaken, even though I've used Mobil 1 all along....and oil leak repairs can be VERY labor intensive....so why not delay those leaks as long as possible?

Just my opinion...

I've always used regular Mobil 1 myself and wondered if the high mileage stuff was just marketing. I would think if you don't have any oil consumption or leaks you could just stick with the regular Mobil 1. Assuming that regular Mobil 1 did its job and the internals are still like new how would high mileage help? Although I guess like you say, it probably wouldn't hurt. Is the high mileage version more expensive?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
315 Posts
I don't see any harm coming from it, but IMO, I wouldn't bother. I am assuming you don't burn oil now or anything odd like that because you have used mobil 1 it's whole life ???

Those high mileage oils are formulated for engines with more wear, which is not yours if you used mobil 1 in the engine it's whole life.

it is not worth burning brain cycles over, either choice will be fine for you (continue with what you have or switch to the high mileage), but you probably will not see any benefit of high mileage oil if you aren't seeing any symptoms of engine wear :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see SOME oil consumption, but it's not very dramatic.

I don't see any harm coming from it, but IMO, I wouldn't bother. I am assuming you don't burn oil now or anything odd like that because you have used mobil 1 it's whole life ???

Those high mileage oils are formulated for engines with more wear, which is not yours if you used mobil 1 in the engine it's whole life.

it is not worth burning brain cycles over, either choice will be fine for you (continue with what you have or switch to the high mileage), but you probably will not see any benefit of high mileage oil if you aren't seeing any symptoms of engine wear :)

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
High mileage oils have more additives to combat additional blowby from a worn engine that spews more contaminants into the engine oil. I can't see how that would be your case after 150K. Does your oil turn black quicker than before after an oil change?

Like Kenny above, I can't see any disadvantage in using the HM oil, but I think it comes under the heading "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, oil is still pretty golden when I do changes at around 6,000 miles. Like I say, my only reason for thinking about it was stopping leaks before they happen. I would be interested to know if folks have used Mobil 1 and have leak-free engines up in the 250-300,000 mile range. My assumption has been that leaks are eventually inevitable, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

High mileage oils have more additives to combat additional blowby from a worn engine that spews more contaminants into the engine oil. I can't see how that would be your case after 150K. Does your oil turn black quicker than before after an oil change?

Like Kenny above, I can't see any disadvantage in using the HM oil, but I think it comes under the heading "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

·
Registered
315 Posts
I see SOME oil consumption, but it's not very dramatic.
If you are less than 1 quart per 1000 miles, then you are considered normal by Honda standards :)

Now let's talk about MY standards :) I would say that if you are within 1/2 quart per your 6000 mile oil change, you are considered normal and NOT a prime candidate for HM oil. HM *MIGHT* slow that down anyway, but again, not worth worrying over.

No, oil is still pretty golden when I do changes at around 6,000 miles. Like I say, my only reason for thinking about it was stopping leaks before they happen. I would be interested to know if folks have used Mobil 1 and have leak-free engines up in the 250-300,000 mile range. My assumption has been that leaks are eventually inevitable, but perhaps I'm mistaken.
I can't speak for an Ody, but I have personally seen Toyotas with 250,000 + miles that had 3000 mile oil changes done with conventional oils that did not burn enough oil to have to add any in a 3000 mile OCI (the dipstick might have been down 3/16" in 3000 miles).

One of these cars belongs to one of my employees, he bought it used at 100k miles with some evidence that conventional oil changes had been done regularly. He continued and now has 268,000 on it. Drive in bumper to bumper traffic every day for the last 10 years, never goes on the highway. No leaks, no significant oil consumption, completely bulletproof on normal oil with regular changes.

A friend with a camry solara and 280,000+ miles, same deal, but he did use mobil 1 regularly, no leaks, no oil burning, mixed highway in town traffic for him.

I had another friend with a nissan pickup at 400,000 miles on conventional oil, same deal. no leaks, and minimal oil burning (he did have to add a half quart between changes or so, but who cares at that mileage, he was all highway)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd probably stick with the Std Mobil 1 till 200,000 then maybe switch. Remember thier marketing is for all makes and a Honda, Toyota @ 200,000 regular oil changes has considerable less internal wear than most GM, Dodge, Ford engines

Al

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
***snip*** Like I say, my only reason for thinking about it was stopping leaks before they happen. ***snip***[\QUOTE]Sorry, I missed the point of your post. If anything, a HM oil would create leaks by its extra detergents cleaning away internal residue that might have sealed a brittle gasket on an older engine. Many folks get leaks after switching to syn because it cleans out the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts