Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestins for a TV antenna? I have very bad reception with our car tv/dvd player....

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are many mobile TV antennas for cars. Most of the good ones are intended for use while the car's in motion (see TV note at the end). These models designed for mobile TV tuners and require diversity antenna inputs. With diversity antenna inputs you have (4) mini-jacks plugs, compared to a regular TV antenna that might have a single 'F-Style' connector. The idea of a diversity antenna is each pole is a separate antenna and the TV tuner can pick the strongest signal switching between each plug. Most mobile diversity antenna's have signal amplification and need to be hooked up to a 12v power source. The common models for mobile TV antenna's include:

1. Inside window mount. A glass mount single or multiple pole antenna.

Example: Clarion ZCB-003

2. Diversity inside window mount with 2 bases. Each base usually has 2 poles and can be amplified, like Pioneer's.

Example: Alpine, Santeca and Pioneer AN-G3

3. Inside 2 or 3 pole window mount, single exterior pole.

Example: Clarion ZCB-100 (I'm currently using this model in my 00' Odyssey)

4. Full external antenna. 1 to 4 poles designed to mounted external on your car.

Example: Santeca ME-9900 with amplification and diversity switching unit (ideal if your TV tuner only has single antenna input and you need diversity switching).

5. External Omnidirectional Antenna. A single enclosed unit without poles. Primary used on RV's, but probably small enough to use on a car or van.

Examples: Wineguard Roadstar or Lance
see http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm?deptID=4&catID=165&subOf=26

6. Put a satellite dish on top of your Odyssey! Two companies make auto tracking units for between $2500 and $3200.

Regardless of your antenna selection it should be noted that television reception in a moving vehicle is never perfect. A good amplified antenna will help, but it won't cure weak signals, fading, ghosting etc.

Hope this helps,
VideoNavi
P.S. You can see pictures of my Odyssey in the Gallery. Sorry none of the pictures show my TV antenna on the rear gate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are also 2 units which are new:

4 way diversity amplified antenna. We just ran across this unit. It has 3 pole antennas inside and then then another antenna on the outside. This will retransmit the signal from the outside and back into the inside receiver (ala cellular phones) - We did a test. Hooked it up to an Odyssey without the outside antenna.. 3 antennas inside amplified. We then added the third unit outside by attaching it on the glass and it cured the ghosting and some of the static.

Another antenna is a flat mount amplified antenna. This can be mounted inside your headliner (flat mount)

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
59 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toyman:
Another antenna is a flat mount amplified antenna. This can be mounted inside your headliner (flat mount)
</font>
How is the reception of the flat mount antenna compared to the window mount antennas? This probably looks the best but is it worth the money?

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by warrenh:
How is the reception of the flat mount antenna compared to the window mount antennas? This probably looks the best but is it worth the money?

</font>
I was wondering the same thing about the reception of that flat mount antenna underneath the metal roof of the Ody. Does the roof act like a shield?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, the roof will act as a barrier. However, the roof is quite thin. In comparison to the front mount amplified windshield antenna or the repeater type antennas, the performance will be slightly poorer.

Personally, I used to drive a Land Rover Discovery hooked up with Sony TV (7 years ago when having a Television in your car was BIG BUCKS) -- because of the area I am in (NEW YORK METRO), all of the stations broadcast quite strongly (thanks to the Empire State Building and the World Trade Center), so I was able to pull in stations clearly with a set of 18 gauge speaker wire ran towards the back of my truck in separate directions.

Now, your reception in your area will vary. If you are driving down some rural highway where you have local TV stations, DO NOT EXPECT great reception. In the Odyssey and other Tuner installs I have done, we still able only to pull MAJOR broadcasters in clearly, ABC, NBC, etc. Other stations are fuzzy and will ghost when driving.

Personally, TV tuner is good if you plan to park at McDonalds or something and watch the game. But other than that, get the DVDs ready in the car. Pretty soon, everyone will be burning Mpegs of their movies onto DVD RAM in 2 or 3 years like they are using MP3s now. MARK MY WORDS.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
585 Posts
LOL

Yep, Toyman. Its called the "Pioneer 903" (I think thats the model #) and it has just hit the market for $900 (or you can find it billed as the 'superdrive' in current Apple Macintoshes & some top-end Compaqs).

I plan to convert all my home movies (& other stuff?) to DVDs as soon as the tech catches up. I'm thinking a 12 month window. The first go around on these babies have some problems w/ decent quality w/ the 'off the shelf' codecs and AAPL has about the best price on DVD-R media ...which is still $10 a pop..
and best editing software (iMovie, iDVD, iDVD Pro and FinalCut Pro) which makes making your movies a no-brainer.

Give it a little time before jumping in, I say. Its *almost* there. Get the blank media prices down & improve the speed & codecs on the average $1500 computer and *poof*, backups of all your favorite movies.

------------------
01 SS EX-NAVI due in June, floor mats, mud flaps & protection pkg included n/c)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree. I love the way the media for the DVD ram has dropped to the $10.00 range. I remember when CDRs were also around this area. Heck, I remember when I used to buy Nashua 5.25 SS/Double Density floppies for $1.85 each in the 1980s and thought that was a great deal.

Did I go back too far?

If the media continues to drop, I may even consider buying an Apple again :;
(PC has a long way to go)

------------------

Here to help

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by toyman:
Pretty soon, everyone will be burning Mpegs of their movies onto DVD RAM in 2 or 3 years like they are using MP3s now. MARK MY WORDS.</font>
VCD is the way to go right now. You rip a DVD and encode it to VCD. It fits a movie on 2 standard CDs and plays on standalone DVD players.

If you're playing movies on a PC, DIVX is the way to go. It fits a movie on one CD.

Everything I own is hacked or modded.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
1,484 Posts
Actually there's also SVCD (Super Video Discs). They're literally the next best thing to DVDs! I've use them on several occasions to output my 3D animations at full screen. It's a great way to archive old videos.

-nemogira

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
126 Posts
toyman,
Does the Pioneer ADG3 antenna that you carry have 4 3.5 mm output plugs? How does it compare to the Jensen KMD2? The KMD2 has 4 antenna elements like the pioneer but it comes with a unit which down selects to 2 3.5mm antenna outputs. I'm hooking it up to a Jensen KVM68U which only has 2 inputs for the diversity antenna (1 3.5mm and 1 coax). Any chance you'll be carrying the Jensen KMD2?

I was considering your 4 way glass mount since it is on special but it is not stealthy enough. I'd like to combine your headliner antenna with a 2 element like the Pioneer or Jensen but will end up with too many antenna plugs. Help!

·
Registered
368 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by toyman:

Toyman, have you actually installed this flat antenna above the headliner on the Odyssey? Is there enough room for it? If so, I want to buy one. Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Actually there's also SVCD (Super Video Discs). They're literally the next best thing to DVDs! I've use them on several occasions to output my 3D animations at full screen. It's a great way to archive old videos.

-nemogira

</font>

If I am right, I think this is Sony technology. May not catch on. Look what happened to Minidisc in one year, gone!

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnkalajian:
</font>

Yes - the unit is completelt flat except for one area where the coaxial meets the cable and has all the amplified electronics inside - that part of the antenna is about 1/4 inch in height (rough estimate)

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by exindenver:
toyman,
Does the Pioneer ADG3 antenna that you carry have 4 3.5 mm output plugs? How does it compare to the Jensen KMD2? The KMD2 has 4 antenna elements like the pioneer but it comes with a unit which down selects to 2 3.5mm antenna outputs. I'm hooking it up to a Jensen KVM68U which only has 2 inputs for the diversity antenna (1 3.5mm and 1 coax). Any chance you'll be carrying the Jensen KMD2?

I was considering your 4 way glass mount since it is on special but it is not stealthy enough. I'd like to combine your headliner antenna with a 2 element like the Pioneer or Jensen but will end up with too many antenna plugs. Help!
</font>

Sorry, I do not have experience with the Jensen unit. I assume this is similar to the santeca unit from a couple of years ago. The Pioneer system is 4 independent amplified microphone jacks connectors. Since most of the tuners we use now (The pioneer and units which have the capability to have FOUR 3.5mm antenna inputs) have the switching of the antennas built in (any tuner with the 4 inputs will control it directly).

I understand your question, no, I do not recommend the Pioneer system if you plan to combine the signal. It will be a waste of money. The jensen unit sounds intriguing, however, there were several other companies making that unit a couple of years ago, they have all but a few dropped from the market. I do not know the details.

As for carrying the Jensen unit. AUTOTOYS is an authorized internet retailer for all Stinger products (http://www.stinger-aamp.com) - Peripheral carries the mobile line. The majority of the Peripheral line are Jensen products (no shocker since Recoton and Jensen is part of Stinger). I believe the Peripheral products are 'hyped' up versions of the Jensen products.

Without any specific details, all I can say is that Peripheral is currently working on their video lineup to be more competitive and we may see some of the other Jensen units trickle into the Peripheral line.

------------------

Here to help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts