Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone has any suggestion for a good VCR ? I was planning to just use one of my home VCR until i realize the problem with dew and moisture.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Location of a VCP will probably dictate the brand you end up getting. Placing a VCP under the drivers or passenger seat requires a limited depth VCP. I selected a Sony top loading VCP for under the drivers seat. See VideoNavi picture in the gallery. Alpine also makes a smaller VCP.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How much are you willing to spend :)? A 12VDC VPC can be had for about US $110 at eBay. Where I live, there are only about 4 decent car stereo places, and none of them has mobile A/V equipment in stock. In fact, one dealer went so far as to tell me that a 12VDC VPC was a waste of money (Cdn $300) and that I should use a home VCR and an inverter. He explained that, aside from their compact form factor, mobile VCP's were designed for marine use, and thus have been designed to handle moisture better.

Since I don't plan on attaching pontoons to my Ody just yet (hmmmm...), I purchased a new Sears VCR for Cdn $130 (incl. tax). After redeeming my Sears club points, the cost to me will be about Cdn $75 (~ US $49).

It fits under a second row seat, but it faces backwards since the crossbar interferes with the tape opening (a remote extender may be needed). An added bonus is that, since it's a VCR and not a VCP, I can hook up a diversity antenna and pull in broadcast TV. It won't be great in a mobile environment, but will be fine in say, a park for occasional viewing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lookinco:
Does anyone has any suggestion for a good VCR ? I was planning to just use one of my home VCR until i realize the problem with dew and moisture. </font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a Hi-Fi 12V VCR w/Tuner from uBid for $64 ($84 minus $20 rebate). The brand name on it is Mobile TV but I've seen the same VCR sold under different names.

This one is suppose to have Dew/Heat sensor, which seems to be a reasonable feature for a car VCR. The sensor is suppose to disable the VCR until it either dries out or cools off.

I installed it under the front passanger seat after I removed the underseat tray from my EX. I also put a protective case around it (The Glove from TMI Products).

The VCR seems to work fine. No complaints so far.

[This message has been edited by iquash (edited 08-13-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts