Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, all you mod gurus out there have me inspired to do some mods on our 02 Ody (after we get it) and on our 99 Accord.

I've always shyed away from mods for fear of jeopardizing the factory warranty. Can those of you in the know please shed some light here?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There's no problem unless something that comes under the warranty is actually damaged by your actions.

For instance, the wiring on my sliders has been modified, but would have no effect if, say, a door motor proved to be defective.

In fact, I told the service manager at my dealership that I'd made wiring changes and roughly what and where they were so there'd be no problems if and when they ever had to track down any circuits. I didn't want them led down any blind alleys because of my changes. THAT would tick somebody off! They were more curious about how effective the changes turned out than concerned that I had done them.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
1,484 Posts
Just try not to do anything major (did I say that?). I usually attempt things that I can fix if things go wrong. But major things like engine mods I would usually stay away from. That's the heart n' soul of cars. And when things go wrong in that area the @!$%^ hits the fan! But then again I wouldn't mind a little HP increase. Hmmm?...

Also, what Chuck said.

-Nestor

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Also, another reason why I'm more confident moding on my Odyssey than any other car is because we have a great group of knowledgable owners, vendors and experts. All contributing their experiences or knowledge. So when things go wrong - there's a better chance of it getting resolved throug the group than by yourself.

-Nestor

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well, I've "modded" every car I've owned (except one-Lexus) so I don't know if that makes me a guru or not...

My Accord is pretty heavily modded and I have had NO issues with the dealer at all. Of course, I've had no problems at all with my Accord either so that's not too meaningful I guess. I do know that some dealers are more "mod-friendly" than others and besides if you stick with quality bolt-on parts, there is really no damage likely as a result of the particular part.
If they can prove the modification directly resulted in the failure of some component then that's different. For example, if you had nitrous installed and then the trans. failed, they would say the added power caused the failure-which might or might not be correct. Most bolt ons, while a noticeable improvement to some degree, will not increase the power to the point of causing that kind of problem-especially important with the Accord's "weak" auto trans! Most of my mods consist of audio and suspension work, with some engine bolt on stuff. In short, GO FOR IT!!
I can't believe nemogira said "Just try not to do anything major"! (just read his Nav mod post
)

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 08-08-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts