Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Monroe Quick Struts and stabilizer links on the 04 Ody with 100K miles. The rattling/clunking noises that we have heard on washboard roads is now gone. The Quick Strut is a fully assembled unit that you simply bolt on and includes rubber noise isolating pads above and below the spring. Some folks have reported issues removing the stabilizer links but I did not have any problems. I got them from Advance Auto; 20% off and free shipping for $260.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the quick strut also come with the mounts, bearing, and race?
Yes. Unbolt the old and install lthe new. 3- nuts on top, 2- bolts at the bottom knuckle, brake hose clamp, brake sensor clamp, and stabilizer link. I replaced the stabilizer links so I only had to remove at the stabilizer bar.

There is no need to disassemble the old strut so no spring compressors are needed. You could use the assistance of a helper but I did them solo.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Excellent! I had considered KYB's but it sounds like this might take the cake. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Monroe Quick Struts

I have an 04 Ody with 115k miles on them. At about 105k miles I put on the quick strut assemblies on the front along with OEM sway bar links. I also installed sensa trac shocks on the rear along with new factory springs.

The first 1k miles with the new front assemblies was great. Everything was well isolated. After that initial 1k miles, you could feel some crash through in the suspension when you went over moderate road bumps and, all of a sudden, things weren't so well isolated. I guess this is how the struts break in.

An interesting note: when I took off the old rear shocks, I noticed they were very difficult to compress. The new Monroe shocks were much easier to compress when I was installing them. Some would say this isn't an indicator of quality as long as the part performs its job well. Not sure what I think about that yet.

I spent about $420.00 for the Sensa Trac quick assemblies up front and the Sensa Trac rear shocks. If I could do it all over again, I would have spent the extra $400.00 to get factory parts and get the factory ride back.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I went with the factory assemblies in the front and Monroe in the back. Like you I noticed how the originals had much more spring pressure to them and the new feel weaker than the old when driving. I know my rear shocks will not last near as long as the originals that went well over 100k so next time I will go OEM in the rear too. I got the fronts before the price jumped dramatically and should never have to touch them again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an 04 Ody with 115k miles on them. At about 105k miles I put on the quick strut assemblies on the front along with OEM sway bar links. I also installed sensa trac shocks on the rear along with new factory springs.

The first 1k miles with the new front assemblies was great. Everything was well isolated. After that initial 1k miles, you could feel some crash through in the suspension when you went over moderate road bumps and, all of a sudden, things weren't so well isolated. I guess this is how the struts break in.

An interesting note: when I took off the old rear shocks, I noticed they were very difficult to compress. The new Monroe shocks were much easier to compress when I was installing them. Some would say this isn't an indicator of quality as long as the part performs its job well. Not sure what I think about that yet.

I spent about $420.00 for the Sensa Trac quick assemblies up front and the Sensa Trac rear shocks. If I could do it all over again, I would have spent the extra $400.00 to get factory parts and get the factory ride back.
I went with KYB shocks on the back. They were very similar to compress compared with stock. They were $36 per shock at Rockauto.

I lived in Chicagoland for about 7 years and the roads will take a toll on any suspension.

I spent $240 for both Quickstruts including shipping at AdavanceAuto. The Stabalizer links were Raybestos $25 per link ay Rockauto.

I will keep everyone updated on my experience. So far the rattling noises on washboard surfaces is gone. Ride is not harsh but is controlled which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quick Struts

Ready to order the Quick Struts and sway links later this month.
Where is the access to the top nuts of the old strut assembly?
What size are the bolts?
And are they removable with a wrench or socket?
Thanks Joe

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
You pop off little plastic covers in the big cover at the bottom of the windshield. I forget if they are round or square. I used a socket on my impact gun, may have needed a short extension. No clue on the socket size. There's no way to get a wrench in there without removing the whole cover.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You pop off little plastic covers in the big cover at the bottom of the windshield. I forget if they are round or square. I used a socket on my impact gun, may have needed a short extension. No clue on the socket size. There's no way to get a wrench in there without removing the whole cover.
OK, thanks...3 round covers to access 9/16 nuts. Need deep socket with extension. Gave them a spray of penetrating oil.

Rats...the mice are back in the manifold and on the engine cover. Does everyone have mice? They ate my knock sensor wire a couple years ago. Never could access the sensor to get it out. Put out more bait and a sticky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, Joemooch.

It looks like you have cowl at the bottom of the windshield removed. If you haven't ordered the monroe quickstruts, don't. I strongly recommend spending the extra $300.00 or so and get the factory struts. I got over 100k miles out of the factory struts and replaced them with the Monroes back in April. I hate them. If I have the money next spring, I am replacing the Monroes with factory. The new Monroes were barely better than my used factory struts. Just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wow...haven't heard that one yet...and would be reluctant to make that choice with one review(no disrespect).
"I hate them", really doesn't put much perspective on the choice. In any case, they likely don't need replacement as they feel fine. Was just going to do it to take advantage of the Monroe rebate and the 107K on the current struts.
We apparently need to poll the group!
While I have noted some other comments, but...Any other reviews on the Quick Struts?
Thanks for sharing....
Joe

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
OK, thanks...3 round covers to access 9/16 nuts. Need deep socket with extension. Gave them a spray of penetrating oil.

Rats...the mice are back in the manifold and on the engine cover. Does everyone have mice? They ate my knock sensor wire a couple years ago. Never could access the sensor to get it out. Put out more bait and a sticky.
Technically it should be metric but whatever fits :D As for the knock sensor, mine was chewed by what I assume were chipmunks. I did replace it a couple years ago. The new one came with a wire shield plus I added to it for more protection. It was pretty easy to change, there's a thread on it somewhere.

As for the Monroe's, I believe it because I put their shocks on the rear. My old OEM rear shocks were thicker and had more dampening than the new Monroe's have. Wasted my money there, oh well. The new OEM's on the front were worth the extra money. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is there a definite way to find out if your struts need replacing or not? Don't tell me because I have xx miles on it, I need to replace it. Give me objective way of measure. I don't like to replace unless I can ascertain that the new part is better than the old one. That is very easy when old part is broken :)

I put Monroe shocks in the rear. Since I don't personally sit there while driving, I can not be 100% sure but I did notice a better ride since I put them in. They were cheap enough to gamble after the Advanced Auto coupon. Was the difference like night and day? Absolutely not! That is one of the reason I sort of cooled down on doing the front.

- Vikas

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is there a definite way to find out if your struts need replacing or not?
Non-symmetrical wear of the rear tire tread blocks-- I ended up with an alignment and KYBs which seem to have improved the ride and handling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After 5000 miles I'm still happy with the Monroe struts. I drove on some washboard roads in northern Indiana and did not hear the rattling noises that we had been experiencing since year 2 of ownership. Handling is better with great ride quality.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Ditto here. Installed the Quick Struts last July because of excessive rattling up front (new links did not cure the problem beforehand).

Ride is still affected at low speeds by my "/$%?&* Michelin Hydroedges (they always had a weird shimmy at low speeds that only increases with age). Did a lot of driving on the new struts in August, 4000 km vacation, and they seemed fine. I don't expect them to be as good or as lasting as the oem setup, but for the price, they do the job, and with the van already being 8 y.o., I won't be driving on them for long anyway.

2012-13, we'll be looking for a new van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a definite way to find out if your struts need replacing or not? Don't tell me because I have xx miles on it, I need to replace it. Give me objective way of measure. I don't like to replace unless I can ascertain that the new part is better than the old one. That is very easy when old part is broken :)

I put Monroe shocks in the rear. Since I don't personally sit there while driving, I can not be 100% sure but I did notice a better ride since I put them in. They were cheap enough to gamble after the Advanced Auto coupon. Was the difference like night and day? Absolutely not! That is one of the reason I sort of cooled down on doing the front.

- Vikas
I think it's a combination of factors: seat of the pants - does the ride seem to be degrading, meaning severe impact harshness when you go over bumps. The ride gets rougher as the shocks, struts, and springs wear out. Also, alignment issues can be a result of worn out suspension parts. And, leaky struts are a clear indicator of time to replace. In our van, the ride got so rough that my wife refused to drive it and she complained about it on family trips. I've also seen some posts where folks said measuring the ride height can sometimes be an indicator of worn out suspension.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts