Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another Ody owner here in the south just checking into the southeast area forum.

·
Registered
2014 Acura RDX
76 Posts
Haven't posted here in quite a while. I bought my (wife's) 2001 EX new from McConnell in October 2000, and found this site not too long after that. I was the seventh member, I think. Time flies; my wife has just over 145,000 on her Ody now.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
Kelsen said:
Haven't posted here in quite a while. I bought my (wife's) 2001 EX new from McConnell in October 2000, and found this site not too long after that. I was the seventh member, I think. Time flies; my wife has just over 145,000 on her Ody now.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.
Dave, tranny fluid change history? Any added filters or coolers?

·
Registered
2014 Acura RDX
76 Posts
I got the modification when that came out (an oil jet added, I think? Whatever it was, I did that), and I have changed the fluid as recommended in the service manual. That's all.

Hopefully I won't need another 145,000 miles out of this car, because the mileage is somewhat less than that of my 03 Accord. But it's been little trouble these 7.5 years.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
You can't drink all day long if you don't start first thing in the morning!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Guys - Just checking in with you. I hope you clicked on your email notification. I'm out in the Pike Road area. Hope all is well. I've been a member on here for, ohhh ~2.5 years.

I also wanted to mention that I took my van up to King Honda in Auburn for PAX tires (just so happens). I took it there because their price difference over McConnell was way more than the $10 price tag in gas to drive up there.

In all my experiences with McConnell (haven't spent a dime there yet) and their level of workmanship I've witnessed with warranty work, and the prices they want for maintenance, I wanted to mention to you guys that King Honda kills McConnell. Honestly. No comparison at least for service. Ask for Randy in service. He IS the man.

See you guys around, "The Gump."

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm plum seceeded. :D Can't wait til they break ground on the school in the waters.

·
Registered
598 Posts
From the Sth.East baby.

Not from AL, but how about.... Miami, FL

·
Registered
731 Posts
Recently got my 07 Ody serviced (raped?) at McConnell for B1 code. Yeah, I know, too lazy to do it myself, though I did it last time. With Mobil1 synthetic, tire rotation and the notorious "inspections", the total was $220! :eek:mg: :ahh: :dammit: The SA is always nice, and they're better at customer service in general these days, but somehow I feel violated since I know I could have done it myself.

I was trying to itemize when I dropped it off, but I guess the service department changed the invoice format since the last time I was there and my lame excuse is that I was too foggy-headed having worked the night before to really care.

Had a broken storage compartment replaced under warranty a few days later (for free, this time).

Next oilchange will be done by me, and I'm trying to set up my garage so I can do tire rotations too.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
djmdx2 said:
Next oilchange will be done by me, and I'm trying to set up my garage so I can do tire rotations too.
djmdx2 - I use the Ody jack on the right front, it stays there. Then I use my floor jack to jack up the RR, pull it off and put the RF on there. Then I go to the LF and repeat using the tire removed from the RR. Then the LR, then finish by putting the LR on the RF. It's not that bad. I use an impact wrench to remove the lug nuts and it speeds up the job.

Are you in the Montgomery area? I suppose you are since you were victimized by McConnell.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah been living in Montgomery these past 8 years. I know you recommended me to Auburn but it's not worth the drove for something minor. Trust me I'll be doing more of my typical services.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Oh yeah, you're right. It's definitely not advantageous to drive to Auburn for minor stuff. I should have clarified that because I do all the minor stuff myself. The big stuff, I will be taking to Auburn and I recommend that.

One other word of advice when you change your oil. Before you loosen the oil filter, hang a couple paper hand towels accross the cross member under the filter. Because lots of oil is going to drip out of the filter when you begin loosening. Then place your drain pain centered under the paper towels. Using the paper towels keeps the oil off the cross member, and it won't drip off cross member later onto the garage floor or driveway. I have noted that at least in my case the oil always drips off the paper towel on one side and the same side every time. The side that is closest to the RF wheel/tire.

Once the filter starts leaking, stop turning it and let the leaking finish before completely removing the filter. You'll get a bit of oil on your fingers, but no biggie. Donating a couple paper towels to the cross member turns out to be very convenient. After I get the new oil filter finger tight, I pull the paper towels out of the way and just let them drop onto the drain pan. I usually never spill a drop.

- JyRO

·
Registered
731 Posts
Good tips. What I do is put some latex gloves on, use a plastic walmart bag over the filter as I unscrew it then everything drips into that.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hmmmm. The bag... smooooth. I'll try that next time. But I'm kind of wondering if that bag would kind of be ... getting in the way? But I'll try it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It takes some practice. It does get slippery but once you're able to unscrew the filter by hand you can grip the old filter through the plastic. The other hand needs to keep the bag upright. You can still use your paper towels as backup.

I'm sure you that if you can patch a PAX tire in your work clothes, you can do this. :alky:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
:worship: ---> djmdx2

What a memory you have. I actually didn't get one spot on the clothes. Just washed my hands and went on back to work. :D I did sweat though ... this is Alabama.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.