Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Friends,

Today I installed a set of MOOG Cargo Coil progressive rate springs in the rear of my 2010 Ody Touring. If you are wondering cost, $75.64 shipped to the door from Advance Auto with a RockAuto price match. If you got so much as a D- in high school shop class you could tackle this project. Start to finish about 1 hour total. One need only remove the rear tires and the one bolt that connects the rear control arm/spring perch to the suspension, push down on the control arm with your foot and the old spring is out. The nice thing is the MOOG springs are the same height as the OEM so install is as easy going in as the old were coming out. If you note the picture the OEM spring is on top. I was also able to use the Airlift 1000's (previously installed) in the new springs. Unloaded the ride height of the van is unchanged. Handling is tight. About the same as running 25 lbs in the airlift's if you have them. The next lake house trip will tell how it goes with 7 people, luggage + 4700 lbs of boat (20ft Crownline on a tandem axle trailer).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have to do my Airlifts. I remember in my 2nd gen we had to unbolt the sensor wire as well before pushing down on the LCA. Does this gen not have one in the same location?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Surgeon,

There is no sensor wire on the LCA at least on mine. I know which one you are talking about as I had an 02 ody. Sold it two years ago with 174000 on the clock. See it around town from time to time. I keep in touch with the new owner. Has over 200000 on it now with no issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I looked up the Moog progressive rate springs and did a search for other similar types of springs for cargo carrying. Apparently Moog has not made these yet for the 2011 and up models. Is anyone aware of anyone else making something similar that would fit my 2014? There are several other coil springs out there but they appear to be geared toward lowering the Ody and not raising or leveling it for towing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the moogs and kyb gas shocks in today. Waiting on airlift to do install Did new front control arms last week. Stoked. 2005 with 238,000

·
Registered
2010 Odyssey EX, Canadian
1,107 Posts
I wonder how these coil springs are, after two years?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No issues at all after two years. They play well with the stock shocks and it is nice when I fill the van with people there is no sag and I don't have to put air in the airlifts unless I am hauling the boat + a full load of people. There is some light surface rust in spots but I live in the salt belt.

·
Registered
2010 Odyssey EX, Canadian
1,107 Posts
No issues at all after two years. They play well with the stock shocks and it is nice when I fill the van with people there is no sag and I don't have to put air in the airlifts unless I am hauling the boat + a full load of people. There is some light surface rust in spots but I live in the salt belt.
Great, thank you!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Soif i understand correctly you replace the springs because of the sag or soft ride when you had a heavy load in the van. Did they improve any other driving characteristics?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They give the van tighter handling and less sway in the turns. Just slightly firmer than stock in normal driving but the firmness ramps up quickly the more they are compressed. I have made five long (>500 mile) trips with the family + supplies for a week at a lake house + boat and easily 70+ trips to the lake locally and the springs are holding up just fine. In case you were wondering, the van is coming up on 100,000 miles and has been towing since the low 30,000 miles and no issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 07 sags in the rear when it’s loaded with 3 (100lb.) kids in back and 2 (50lb.) kids in the middle. More so when we add cargo to the back. I replaced the rear shocks last year and springs and shocks were replaced by previous owner a while back. The Moog Springs in this thread sound exactly like what I need to help eliminate this issue. Do I need to use these with airbags? I don’t do any towing.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Remember if you and your wife weigh 350 lbs together and the kids weight 400 lbs, that's a lot of weight. I think the total weight capacity is around 1200 lbs. If the unloaded height of the van is normal, I'd shift at least two of the heavy kids to the middle.

Remember, the stiffer Moog springs will make the van ride harsher.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Marvin, but regardless of who sits where the rear sags. It only doesn’t when it’s just the wife and I.
Does Moog or another brand make progressive(variable) springs that are not “CC” rated?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Call Moog. Remember, the unloaded weight of the van is about 4500 lbs, and if the unloaded right height is normal, the old springs should be fine. Also, shocks have nothing to do with ride height.

Measure ride height with ruler, both loaded and unloaded.

Marvin

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a set from Rock Auto last week, thanks for the writeup. Did you not need to use a spring compressor?
How is your camber? I got a pair of adjustable upper control arms (moog rk100121).

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bought a set from Rock Auto last week, thanks for the writeup. Did you not need to use a spring compressor?
How is your camber? I got a pair of adjustable upper control arms (moog rk100121).
You do not need a spring compressor. This video shows how to take the springs out and put them back. You use the jack to push up the LCA:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My 07 sags in the rear when it’s loaded with 3 (100lb.) kids in back and 2 (50lb.) kids in the middle. More so when we add cargo to the back. I replaced the rear shocks last year and springs and shocks were replaced by previous owner a while back. The Moog Springs in this thread sound exactly like what I need to help eliminate this issue. Do I need to use these with airbags? I don’t do any towing.
Hi HMFIC,
No you do not need to use airlifts with the MOOG springs as they are a higher rate spring (hold more) than the stock ones. If you find you would like additional support after installing them then you could always add the airlifts. Unless you really carry very heavy loads ( Family vacations with lots of luggage an a bike rack with 5 mountain bikes sticking 4 feet out past the bumper) you should be fine with just the MOOG Springs. The slightly firmer handling in the back is a plus. As our vans do not have load leveling air shocks (might be my next project to find some air shocks and adapt them to fit) you will always have some sag if you really load it up but the springs will go a long way in reducing it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We need more experiences posted with Moog springs..I am on the second set of these moogs. First set sagged and I was hitting rear bump stops 2 years after install. Second set is sagging a tad bit but I hit bump stops when 300-400lbs is In the van. Haven't had this issue with oem springs.. basically Moog may hold height but sags to shet at a light load.
I may have 2 bad copies in a row.. but really not impressed with these Moog springs. Looking into 2011-2017 Odyssey OEM springs, Honda pilot OEM.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4 yr Update: It has been four years since I installed the Moog springs along with the airlifts ( had airlifts previously with the stock springs) and everything has been holding up great. I took the attached pictures today after coming back from the gas station and filling up the boat and the van. Van coming up on 120000 miles. Aside from usual maintenance stuff, (brake pads, timing belt (Aisin Kit), Oil, Tranny fluid Valvoline Maxlife) have had no issues.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts