Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, I found this thread very insightful, hoping I could get some more info. I have and 07 EXL with 100k on it. We recently picked up a pair of atvs and a go kart (project rebuilds with the kids), I am looking to take them on a trip with the family but from my research (not on this site) the info I was coming up with was not in favor of towing this stuff. It would a full van - 2 adults 5 younger kids (ages 1 - 11). Normally when we load up for a full trip - the bag sags pretty badly. We have done weekly trips in the summer with 4 bikes hanging off the hitch in the back. I would be in favor of the Moog springs, but what about all the other stuff - the tranny cooler, PS cooler, break controller, air springs etc. How much of that is really necessary.

Just to clarify - the ATVs and Go Kart are mid size youths stuff. I estimate total weight 800 - 1000lbs max between the 3

Thanks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Welcome. Odyfamily has provided much info on similar. But good rear springs or air bags would work. As for tow/load, looks like you might just needs tranny cooler. In fact Odyfamily also tows a boat. You would not need a PS cooler unless you tow much more.

That thread is probably a good place to start or ask more details. You can also gain knowledge just browsing that thread.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
You would not need a PS cooler unless you tow much more.
Correct.

More specifically, you need a PS cooler if towing keeps the transmission in a lower gear for extended periods i.e. engine at higher RPM. PS fluid temperature rises as engine RPM increases.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
5 year update on MOOG springs and six years on Airlift air bags... Just returned from another family trip to Norris Lake and the van continues to be a fantastic boat hauler/family vehicle. The boat ramp we used this trip ( Springs Dock Resort ) was steeper than many of the others we have used when coming here and I dropped the front tire pressure down to 20 psi in order to make it up the ramp when we took the boat out of the water. Once up the ramp I aired the fronts back up to 38 psi prior to the drive home. The Moog springs/airlift combination continue to work well and the vans handling with very heavy loads is superb. Pictures are before the boat is hooked up ( Air springs inflated to 35 psi ) and after with boat hitched up and ready to go. Van has 144715 miles on it. No transmission issues to date. Maxlife ATF I change it about every 30000 miles or so.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The Moog springs/airlift combination continue to work well and the vans handling with very heavy loads is superb.
+1. Don't have a load/pull like yours but it has been about 5 yrs and mileage at 167k. The combo is great. If I load up with lots of cargo or on loaded road trips, adjusting the air bags been working well.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts