Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'll stop after this one, I promise! Four things:

1. I can hear the gas 'slosh'. I noticed it with a full tank if I backup, hit the brakes, backup, hit the brakes I can get it going pretty good. Not a 'slosh' I would say more like a "thud" that got so loud after the 3rd time I hit the brakes I thought I had better stop. In my mind I'm picturing that 'wave' machine from the 80s.

2. The rear driver's side wheel has lots of stuff 'exposed' underneath. Is this normal? I mean I can see cables & all kinds of stuff that I can't see under any other wheel wells. I just want to make sure I'm not missing part of a cover or something.

3. I think I finally "see" what people have been saying about the middle doors not 'aligning' w/ the rest of the body. With the driver's side mirror positioned where I can see the side of the van, I can see what looks like louvers (edge of driver's door, edge of sliding door) like the door isn't quiiiiite closed. However, when I look at it from outside or from the rear, everything seems normal. I'll look through the notes on this site to see if I can see anything about this issue. I don't think its enough of a thing to worry about especially since I took Chuck's advice & redid my side mirrors!! Man, that makes all the difference. I'm so embarrassed that I've set my side mirrors wrong for all these years....

4. Slight design flaw; my wife opened the driver's side sliding door (our 1 month old was screaming) when we pulled into the gas station and then 'popped' the gas tank for me.
Not a big deal; the door slid closed OK and didn't seem to really rub against it but it would have been nice if they had also designed the gas tank cap not to 'pop' open if the door is opened already. I guess that would have added another $100 to the cost of the van...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doh! Sorry Jim. I meant to put this under 'problems' forum.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Done!

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL

*poof*

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Ok I'll stop after this one, I promise! Four things:

1. I can hear the gas 'slosh'. I noticed it with a full tank if I backup, hit the brakes, backup, hit the brakes I can get it going pretty good. Not a 'slosh' I would say more like a "thud" that got so loud after the 3rd time I hit the brakes I thought I had better stop. In my mind I'm picturing that 'wave' machine from the 80s.

2. The rear driver's side wheel has lots of stuff 'exposed' underneath. Is this normal? I mean I can see cables & all kinds of stuff that I can't see under any other wheel wells. I just want to make sure I'm not missing part of a cover or something.

3. I think I finally "see" what people have been saying about the middle doors not 'aligning' w/ the rest of the body. With the driver's side mirror positioned where I can see the side of the van, I can see what looks like louvers (edge of driver's door, edge of sliding door) like the door isn't quiiiiite closed. However, when I look at it from outside or from the rear, everything seems normal. I'll look through the notes on this site to see if I can see anything about this issue. I don't think its enough of a thing to worry about especially since I took Chuck's advice & redid my side mirrors!! Man, that makes all the difference. I'm so embarrassed that I've set my side mirrors wrong for all these years....

4. Slight design flaw; my wife opened the driver's side sliding door (our 1 month old was screaming) when we pulled into the gas station and then 'popped' the gas tank for me.
Not a big deal; the door slid closed OK and didn't seem to really rub against it but it would have been nice if they had also designed the gas tank cap not to 'pop' open if the door is opened already. I guess that would have added another $100 to the cost of the van...
</font>
1. You answered your own question. Don't try so hard to hear the "slosh", and pretty soon you won't even notice it.

2. That's just the hoses associated with the gas tank and the parking brake cable. Normal.

3. Don't be too embarrassed, but it's a good thing to learn from.

Look around at other cars and you'll often notice that when you're directly behind them, you can see the driver's eyes in all three mirrors. They're doing the same thing.

4. Haven't looked into that one.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 07-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
3. Don't be too embarrassed, but it's a good thing to learn from.

Look around at other cars and you'll often notice that when you're directly behind them, you can see the driver's eyes in all three mirrors. They're doing the same thing.
</font>
What have I missed??

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After said discussion; I changed the Pathfinder & Accord's mirrors to work in the same manner; now *literally* as the edge of the car behind me disappears from the edge of the rearview mirror, I see it in the sideview.

Sheesh. 35 years old and never knew how to adjust auto mirrors.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That's great! If you have normal peripheral vision, you should be able to see virtually all around the car without doing much more than moving your eyes, except for the HUGE rear pillars of the Ody.

When you add the little blind-spot mirrors to that setup, you can see adjoining lanes so well that it takes very little head movement to check all around behind and to either side. Sometimes when I change lanes by checking my mirrors, my passengers don't think I even looked because they didn't see the tiny head movement.

I admire the fact that you double-checked and found you could improve something you thought you'd been doing right for a long time. If we do that we become much better drivers and unfortunately, judging from the evidence we see out there, not many people do it. It's always a good day for me when I learn something that makes me a better driver. It's a job I take seriously.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't worry nyvram, I did #4 too. Totally absent mindedly, and as soon as I did it I knew I shouldn't have, and when my heart rate slowed down to normal again I gave myself a great big D'oh (as opposed to dope) slap! I was very relieved to see that it caused me no problem as everything on the inside of the door in the travel path of the gas door is smooth and plastic. Whew! Just maybe it was engineered that way?
Those Honda guys are smart...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think it would be smarter still to engineer it so that when the gas refill door is open, the sliding door is locked out.

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
I think it would be smarter still to engineer it so that when the gas refill door is open, the sliding door is locked out.
</font>
Doesn't the Ody to that? Meaning, you can't open the door if the gas refill door is already opened? It sounded like the door was opening/already opened when the gas refill door was being opened.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bigrob:
</font>
The Ody already has this feature. When you release your gas filler door, you can hear the power door locks "locking" the sliding door.

------------------
Rob/'01 GG LX "Lagreat"
http://www.fototime.com/inv/46E6936F1F9A447

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, my mistake... I misunderstood the previous posts... Baaaahh, I'm feeling sheepish...

------------------
Eric
'01 SS EX/NAVI
Next up: Replace factory speakers

·
Registered
14 Posts
You CAN open the drivers sliding door with the gas filer door open.

I suggest turning off the power doors when you gas up.

We also keep the child locks turned on (can't open the door from inside) power on or off.

When you open the gas filler door, the sliding door locks.
But, you can unlock it from inside and open the door.
The lock lever will resist and try to re-lock, just hold for a couple of seconds and it will stop trying to lock.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My original issue was as follows:

(a) you open the driver's side sliding door to let your kid out
(b) you then 'pop' the gas tank as you're getting ready to fill up.
(c) you then realize you cannot get to the gas tank *and* the inside of the door is brushing against the tank door and you can't get to it to close it without closing the door & having it slide against it all the way until its closed

I do understand popping the tank locks the driver's side door (at least temporarily) but that assumes you pop the gas tank before you open the door.

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI
floor mats * mud flaps * cargo tray * leather steering wheel wrap * Blaupunkt 652 speakers * blue 'super bright' headlights

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 07-07-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts