Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody.

My main question is: what is the longest I could expect timing belt to last before it fails?

I got Odyssey 2007 Ex-L with 237000 Mi. I bought it less that 2 years ago with 172000 Mi. and it was services at Honda dealer with all records available. Timing belt was done at 12000 Mi. It means that I and previous owner put 115000 Mi on the replaced belt and I am contemplating on to change the belt or to change engine. For $1300 I can install both used engine and transmission including labor with under 100000 Mi. They claim that they get them directly from Japan with no more than 50000 Mi, however I guess they should be at least under 100000, hopefully in 60K range.

I can not decide is it worth to replace the belt which will cost me $600 or just change the power-train? This is my logic: I am making about 50000 Mi per year and I am planning to using the van for at least another 100000-150000 Mi. My current engine and transmission are running excellent. I changed 3 spark plugs and coils on the front ( I thing that the rear located plugs and coils are original but don't give me any problems). However, how long will the engine and transmission will last? I doubt that my current engine and transmission will last another 100000 Mi? So, I was thinking about driving without belt replacement until engine will die and then replace the whole thing with the newer ones. What I would like to know - how long the belt might last? Can I be assured that it will give me another 20000 -50000K or it will pop much sooner? Are they designed to last 105000Mi as Honda suggest? I assume if Honda recommend 105000 Mi for replacement they should expect it to last for at least 150000?

Are there any singes that the belt is about to brake? I prefer to drive to repair shop rather them to tow it there

Any your suggestions of anecdotal evidence will be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
The transmission will probably fail before the motor. Usually overheating or timing belt failure kill these engines, with proper maintenance, they can go well past 250k miles and more.

Timing belt last 100k miles, no more.

If you're getting an engine and trans installed for $1300 that's a nice price, if the van all around is in good condition ex: no rust, interior falling apart, etc, then you can do that.
On the other hand, you can find a good indy shop and replace the timing belt for $300-$400 if you supply the parts.
If the van is running strong, then replace the belt and move along. You have the stronger ridgeline trans in that 07, so you shouldn't be too worried.
Be sure the imported motors can be used in your van, the ECU may not like the Japanese motor.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I see no reason to change the engine or transmission, change the belt and keep driving it. You still have a lot of life left in the engine and transmission as long as you continue to maintain them. Also, you will have to change the timing belt on this engine, or the new one either way, why pay for an engine you don't need?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It's guesswork on how long a timing belt might last, so your question is kind of hard to answer. You have to assume it will fail at around 105,000 miles. It may last for 300,000 miles, but there is no way of knowing. Bottom line: change your belt now. Get the Aisin kit - only $200; plus labor to install.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Are there any singes that the belt is about to brake? I prefer to drive to repair shop rather them to tow it there
No, there is no visible indication of a timing belt's condition. Most still look new when replaced. When it breaks, it breaks without warning.

The timing belt system also has a tensioner. That part can emit a loud noise in advance of its failure. If it fails, the damage to the engine is the same as if the belt were to break. The Aisin TB kit mentioned above includes a new tensioner.

Dave

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Not sure why anyone would change an engine that is running well and just needs a TB to keep going. That engine is a known quantity so to speak whereas the replacement would be an unknown that you are taking a sellers word for what it is. Maintain it, both engine and trans, and keep driving. Any bad thing that might happen and end it's life could just as easily happen to a replacement.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm at 265K Miles. On my 3rd timing belt. Changed at 100K & 200K.

This is the last. Gonna see how far it will last.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for your answers. I hear you saying to change the belt. However, this is my logic: the van overall is in a great shape and I am planning to use it a lot. I think the body will last for at least 400K miles. However, I don't expect the engine and transmission to last that long, especially considering that I never changed fluid in the transmission and I do not see records of changing it by the previous owner. It will cost me much more if I replace engine and transmission separately than if I do both at the same time. Thus, I will have to replace them and yes, I am planning to put all new accessories on the new engine. Since I will have to replace power-train anyway why would I spend $200 on quality kit and $350 on labor for an engine which is not likely to last for another 150K miles which is my target. However, if I can expect it to last for another 100K I would change the belt.

About the belt. I read here on the forums that belt is mostly fail because of age. Mine is 4.5 years old. I am driving mostly highways and mostly long distance so it should be considered easy for the engine. Do you think I may have a good chance that the belt will last another 50K before catastrophic failure?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Somebody on acurazine.net ran a timing belt on a TL for over 225k miles, it was on the verge of breaking but he didn't let it get there. But this really depends on the weather condition of the area where you drive in. If you live in a fair weather area where temp variations aren't huge then that belt will last.

I've never heard of anyone doing an engine + trans swap either because a timing job would cost $600 and the swap costs $1300. The J series timing belt + water pump job can be done DIY for just under $200 using Aisin TKH002. And you aren't even sure if that trans really had just 50k miles on it, there is no way of you knowing that info unless you open up the trans case to inspect the clutch packs. That deal seems too to be true. A rebuilt trans with new internals cost about $1000, a used one with various mileage costs between $500 ~ $800. $1300 for both engine + trans for the whole swap with labor included is too cheap. I had the trans rebuilt in my 07 Accord V6 that cost me $2200 and just getting the trans out took almost 2 days so I'm dubious of your offered deal by that shop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I replaced the belt on my 2005 at around 200,000 miles. I think it was in fact the original belt and the seller had fibbed about it previously being replaced... Water pump was in fine shape and no issues with the idlers.

If you have this option of a new engine + transmission, what do you have to lose by pushing the change interval a bit?

Are you SURE that the engine and transmission are the same as what you are replacing? I saw an ebay listing for a JDM engine that was a J30 (3.0 liter) because they said that's what Japan-market Odysseys had... Seller claimed it was 100% compatible...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Don't swap a JDM engine in the van unless it's a j35 a6 or a7, you're going to run into compatibility issues on your ECU. Also, you are probably better off doing the belt now and doing a trans 3x drain and fill to keep using this drivetrain. My uncle's van finally got trans fluid at 240k miles and it's still going fine. You will probably find more issues and costs as you get into the engine swap

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never changed anything more complicated than brakes, starter and serpentine belt. Do you think I would be able to do timing belt myself? BTW, I have a lot of good tools.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have never changed anything more complicated than brakes, starter and serpentine belt. Do you think I would be able to do timing belt myself? BTW, I have a lot of good tools.
I wouldn't, it's not expensive enough to try yourself. It takes 6-7 hours book time and I'd imagine it would take you a few days to do. Unless you have powerful enough air tools and the correct socket, you won't get the crank pulley off

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ebay sells:

Genuine Honda OEM Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit For Honda & Acura V6 Odyssey
Complete Kit! TENSIONERS SEALS PUMP HONDA GENUINE for $140

is it true or fake?

·
Registered
394 Posts
ebay sells:

Genuine Honda OEM Timing Belt & Water Pump Kit For Honda & Acura V6 Odyssey
Complete Kit! TENSIONERS SEALS PUMP HONDA GENUINE for $140

is it true or fake?
Fake, don't even bother with eBay parts, you'll be buying that new engine even sooner. Only buy the Aisin kit on RockAuto. Make sure you buy genuine parts

·
Registered
225 Posts
STAY AWAY from j-series timing belt + water pump kit labeled as "genuine" on ebay. I can assure you that it's fake chinese counterfeit parts. I purchased a fake thermostat labeled as OEM on ebay, the sticker looked so real that I thought it was genuine. I didn't find out it's fake until I went to the parts counter at Honda, I ate that cost myself, live and learn. Like I said, you want to save money then get the Aisin TKH002 from RockAuto, it is under $200.

You can totally do the j series engine timing belt + water pump yourself. I attempted the first time 4 years ago myself by watching several videos and completed it in a day or so. I used this video by South Main Auto. The most challenging part will be taking off the crank bolt and torquing it back on, you can surely do this by investing in a few more quality tools.

·
Registered
394 Posts
STAY AWAY from j-series timing belt + water pump kit labeled as "genuine" on ebay. I can assure you that it's fake chinese counterfeit parts. I purchased a fake thermostat labeled as OEM on ebay, the sticker looked so real that I thought it was genuine. I didn't find out it's fake until I went to the parts counter at Honda, I ate that cost myself, live and learn. Like I said, you want to save money then get the Aisin TKH002 from RockAuto, it is under $200.

You can totally do the j series engine timing belt + water pump yourself. I attempted the first time 4 years ago myself by watching several videos and completed it in a day or so. I used this video by South Main Auto. The most challenging part will be taking off the crank bolt and torquing it back on, you can surely do this by investing in a few more quality tools.

It is doable, but also needs to be pretty precise and is quite time consuming. From what I saw when a friend did his, it took 2-3 days to make sure everything was lined up exactly and having to buy additional tools because his impact didn't have the power and his compressor wasn't up to snuff

·
Registered
394 Posts
Can I buy Aisin kit from Amason? Rock Auto does not consider Aisin premium brand :confused:
Amazon and eBay are the same shit from different asses. Buy it on RockAuto, it's the only way you can guarantee it's any good.

Also, what does it matter if it's a "premium brand"? That doesn't mean anything

1 - 20 of 55 Posts