Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a road trip soon from Chicago to Maryland/VA. I've been reading diff results from diff owners so just curious.

What was your average mph? and how many miles were you able to squeeze out on one tank of gas? I am planning to drive btw 70-80 mph.

thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am planning a road trip soon from Chicago to Maryland/VA. I've been reading diff results from diff owners so just curious.

What was your average mph? and how many miles were you able to squeeze out on one tank of gas? I am planning to drive btw 70-80 mph.

thanks
500 easy, maybe close to 600. We get 26 at 78, 30 at 77, so would suggest 77 or less for maximum range. Looking forward to hearing what you get. We have a 12 EX.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
There's a dude that put a skosh over 600 miles on a 3rd Gen. Hey ... that dude's me! Search and yee shall find that post, and tons of other similar topics in the 3rd Gen section. Some interesting stuff there. I don't believe any Odyssey can get 30 mpg at 77 mph. Maybe at 60 to 65 mph. But that's just my opinion. I'm married, so I've been wrong before ... at least once.

JyRO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had a third gen and just picked up a 2012 EX I get 100 kilometers more per tank and put 10 liters more fuel back in. The fuel economy is about equal between to two vans. Jyro what size gallon are you referring too? Imperial or US they are different sizes. The imperial gallon is larger and therefore should yield higher MPG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't gotten over 500...not sure what the deal is there haha. I've hit 480 ish pretty regularly on long trips. I don't use cruise control much though I normally am in excess of 80 mph, not the optimal running speed I suppose :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I haven't gotten over 500...not sure what the deal is there haha. I've hit 480 ish pretty regularly on long trips. I don't use cruise control much though I normally am in excess of 80 mph, not the optimal running speed I suppose :)
Ours stays in ECO up to 85mph, but the mileage at that speed is only about 22-24. 77 or less seems to be the sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'll be honest, I don't consider there to be ANY sweet spot over 60 mph. But how realistic is it that with our interstate system that anyone would / could safely drive 50 mph down the interstate? So, personally I feel it's safest to run about 5 mph over the speed limits. The additional speed keeps a driver more alert than running at the speed limit or slower, and prevents a driver from being bored and lulled into sleepiness. Plus, it's not overly fast to be able to stop or manuever a vehicle out of a bad spot, and with my radar detector screaming, I never slow down from 5 mph over, and have never been pulled over for 5 over. So to even consider the cops, that concern is absent at 5 over. With that said, at speeds above 60 mph, you get what you get, as far as mpg. The most important factor for a long fuel range, is squeezing every pint possible into the tank when filling.

But now some members are going to chime in about the dangers of over-filling. And every time I fill the Ody, it gets filled to the cap. And I haven't had the first issue, and I do that with all 4 cars I own, and all the cars I've ever owned, and have yet to have problem #1 from doing so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts