Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go to the store. And van is locked. Key fobs in the console. It did it this morning, running with our 4yr old in her carseat. Fortunately the window wasn't locked and she rolled down the glass so I could open her door and reach around and unlock the passenger front. My wife has a habit of leaving the fobs in the car in the driveway (real secure I know) but if you want to get passed our 115lb cane corso go ahead lol. So I tried to wedge the door open with some plastic tools and spray lube. I can hit the lock button every time with a stiff wire but holy schnikes does that button have some resistance. 1st off why is it doing this? And 2nd just short of a 3lb hammer to the corner door glass, what do I do? 2015 ex-l

Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
The only way I know of to lock a key fob in the van is to involve two of them.

The keyless lock and ignition registers the first valid key fob it finds. A second key fob you carry in with you is ignored. You can then lock the second fob in the van using the first one. (Ask me how I know this 馃槣)

I don't think it's possible to lock the first (or only) registered key fob in the van. As for how to get inside in your situation, you use the door key from the second key fob you should have gotten with the van to unlock driver's side door. Even if there's some weird thing happening where the registered key fob gets locked in and any other fob gets ignored, the physical key always works to unlock the door.

And gently yet firmly suggest to your wife that her habits with the key fobs cannot continue this way. Big dogs don't help in every situation. 馃檪

Registered
The OP said "Key fobs in the console." Fobs as in plural (they are both in the console) or misspelled Fob's as in "Fob is in the console"? Not clear.

Oh but wait...he also said "My wife has a habit of leaving the fobs in the car." No question there, Fobs as in plural.

What would happen if someone carried both fobs into the van at the same time?

Oh, but wait again..."It did it this morning, running with our 4yr old in her carseat."

How did the van get locked while it was running if both fobs were in the van? What was used to lock the van? Could the same daughter that was able to open the window have locked the van from the inside? Of course, the other question is "Why was a 4 yo left alone in a running van?"

Things are a tad confusing here.

Reactions: oldskewel

Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
Locking the doors from inside the van while the key fob is inside is allowed by the system but I think you can only lock all the doors from the front door switches. A child in the second row in a car seat can reach the door lock for the sliding door but I'm pretty sure that only locks that slider.

My four year old twins have just recently developed the strength and dexterity in their hands to release the harness buckles on their car seats by themselves. Is there any way the child could have reached the front door lock switches?

Registered
2016 Touring Elite
Step 1 is definitely don't put BOTH key fobs in the car... like, there are two drivers - each one controls one key, right?

Any chance the auto lock and unlock settings are funky? You can set the doors to lock when you shift from park (like, she shifted form Park, then put it back in park), but then never have it unlock automatically (or with ignition off or similar)... which would be weird but possible. (Vehicle settings -> Door Setup to change those)

-Charlie

Registered
(like, she shifted form Park, then put it back in park), but then never have it unlock automatically
How would she have gotten out?

Registered
I hate auto locking and disabling it was the first thing we did with both the Acura and my van.

Registered
not having this issue with my keyed 2012TE.
Just sayin...

Re: completely fubar'd both fobs in the vehicle.

sounds like a job for AAA or a local locksmith.

if your pry tools can wedge between the glass and the door panel, you can get down at the linkage in the door and unlock it.

if this tends to be a bad family habit, suggest you follow this thread and get another dummy key cut ICE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts