Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone's interested I'll be posting photos of our 99 Odyssey with 17" OEM wheels off an Acura CL-S. They're 17x7, 114.3mmx5 bolt pattern, 55mm offset. Tires are 235/55-17. Stock wheels of the Odyssey are 16x6.5, same bolt pattern, 50mm offset.
Accounting for the new offset, wheel width, and tire width the new tires will be .20" wider on the outboard side and .60" wider on the inboard side than stock.

The new wheels alone will stick out .05" inches on the outboard side and will stick in .50" inches more than stock on the inboard side.

I was told by tirerack that 235 tires will fit the Odyssey just fine so I have no worries. I can feel about a 1" gap between the current stock tire and the nearest suspension component. So with the new setup I should have .40 inches gap remaining.

I was hoping to get 225 size tires as this would lower the over profile of the tires but the only choice I've found in this size was a Continental - yuck. I've heard good things about the Dunlop SP A2.

If this setup doesn't work I'll post it.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Cool. Just what I've wanted to see. An Ody with the Type-S rims ! Is the difference in the offset noticeable to the naked eye ?

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

[This message has been edited by hachiroku (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would be a little concerned with that much negative offset and wider tires. The 235/55 17 is not only more than an inch wider in tread width and almost an inch wider in section (depending on the rim widths used) but slightly taller too. That combined with so much negative offset could lead to a problem with rubbing under certain conditions like full lock with suspension compression. Probably wouldn't be a major problem though...
Since my tires and wheels are not yet mounted
I can't speak from personal experience on the Ody. My new wheels will have 45mm offset I believe (I'll have to double check).
Are you sure the Odys wheels are 50mm offset?

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,door edge protectors, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires Lots more to come!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tire Rack web site lists 34 tires in 225/55R-17. That includes several winter tires, but still is a lot of choices!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, 235s are only .78" wider than stock, though that can vary tire to tire. Also the 235s are only .20 greater in diameter so the van will be riding .10" higher - speedo error at actual 60mph is 60.4. I don't think that's too big a deal though I'd prefer 225 tires which would actually be a greater error but in the other direction.

Ody OEM aluminum wheels are 50mm offset. It's labeled on the inside of the wheel. I mounted a wheel only on the van last night and there's no visible difference in the outboard location of the wheel compared to stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for all-season tires in h rating or greater and there was a limited choice in tires under $125. There are some really expensive Michellins in this size but $200 a tire is beyond me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outboard location of CL-S wheels compared to stock is hardly noticeable. They stick out .05 inches over stock. That's less than 1/16 of an inch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Post pics. as soon as you can. Was thinking about putting CL-S wheels on myself.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odysseyvan:
Actually, 235s are only .78" wider than stock, though that can vary tire to tire. Also the 235s are only .20 greater in diameter so the van will be riding .10" higher - speedo error at actual 60mph is 60.4. I don't think that's too big a deal though I'd prefer 225 tires which would actually be a greater error but in the other direction.
</font>
I was using tirerack.com specs on the Dunlop A2 comparing stock (on '02 Odys) size of 225/60 16 to the 235/55 17 and it shows the section width to be .7 inch wider, but the tread width to be 1.4 inches wider. Also, it shows the diameter diff. to be .6 inches on this particular tire. I believe this tire should not present any problems at all, and I'm anxious to see how the ride and handling change (hopefully improve!) with them.
Just wanted to clarify the numbers I was using, I do realize that tire sizes are somewhat nominal and actual dimensions can vary from brand to brand in a given size.
Glad to hear your combo is working out well, looking forward to some pics. My wheels are now due by Wed. at the latest...

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,door edge protectors, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires Lots more to come!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
Originally posted by odysseyvan:
</font>
I was using tirerack.com specs on the Dunlop A2 comparing stock (on '02 Odys) size of 225/60 16 to the 235/55 17 and it shows the section width to be .7 inch wider, but the tread width to be 1.4 inches wider. Also, it shows the diameter diff. to be .6 inches on this particular tire. I believe this tire should not present any problems at all, and I'm anxious to see how the ride and handling change (hopefully improve!) with them.
Just wanted to clarify the numbers I was using, I do realize that tire sizes are somewhat nominal and actual dimensions can vary from brand to brand in a given size.
Glad to hear your combo is working out well, looking forward to some pics. My wheels are now due by Wed. at the latest...
Pictures and comments on driveability coming tomorrow probably. Got everything mounted and all fits and looks great.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Cool! I should be able to post pics soon too.
Be interesting to compare between the offsets on our wheels and see how much difference it makes-especially since the tires will be the exact same brand and size!

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems, 17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires (Some installed, some in the garage, some on the way!)
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Odysseyvan, are you sure it's not rubbing again the inner wall with that +55 offset, can you do a full U-turn, I'm mean can you turn your wheel all the way to the left or right while moving, if no rubbing, I think you got the 17x6.5 tpye S wheel, not the 17x7 tpye S.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Odysseyvan,
Hows that wheel/tire setup working for ya? Does it handle well or not? We'd love to see some pics. I'm interesed to know if those wide front tires don't cause bump steer. I went wider than stock on my nissan SE-R. It helped the car stick to the street off the line, but every bug in the road tries to jerk the steering wheel out of my hands.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken W:
Hey Odysseyvan,
Hows that wheel/tire setup working for ya? Does it handle well or not? We'd love to see some pics. I'm interesed to know if those wide front tires don't cause bump steer. I went wider than stock on my nissan SE-R. It helped the car stick to the street off the line, but every bug in the road tries to jerk the steering wheel out of my hands.

</font>
Can't speak for odysseyvan, but since I have the same tires and size as he does, I can tell you that there are NO problems related to the tire size at all (so far!) In fact, they are quieter than the stock Symmetry and the handling is noticeably improved as well.
Of course, I'm not out carving the canyons in my Ody but for a 4,000+ lb. minivan I am quite impressed with the cornering capability. Now for the rear swaybar...

Here's another pic of my set up:

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 11-19-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Wider rubber should not cause any bump steer. The problem is usually the use of a different offset wheel, e.g. moving the wheel too far outboard. If one stays within 1/4" of the stock offset, there should be no problem. Also, any such condition would be much more evident on a car with unassisted steering.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
Wider rubber should not cause any bump steer. The problem is usually the use of a different offset wheel, e.g. moving the wheel too far outboard. If one stays within 1/4" of the stock offset, there should be no problem. Also, any such condition would be much more evident on a car with unassisted steering.

Jerry O.

</font>
Yeah, I think what odysseyvan was refering to is technically not "bump steer", but I know what he means about wider rubber exagerating the effects of uneven pavement etc. In any event, not a problem even with my +40mm offset wheels and 235 tires (vs. +50mm and 225 stock) Only about 3/8" difference in offset, but 1/2 wider rim and quite a bit wider tire. Works great!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken W:
I went wider than stock on my nissan SE-R</font>
It's funny how many SE-R guys have Odys too.

Drop me a note at [email protected] I'd love to hear about your SE-R.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts