Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Year 5 of the North/South driving adventure (Ontario/Southern tip of South America)
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

After being parked for such a long time in the Amazon basin of Ecuador, the 02 needed a good week of wrenching
before hitting the road north toward Colombia/Canada. Rusted out brake lines (3) seized calipers (2), seized IAC valve, excess carbon inside intake manifold, rusted out battery ground....exhaust leak, rear shocks.
With a boost and 3 cranks of the starter, purring like a kitten with a sore throat.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
That thumbnail photo is from Argentina?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Wow, impress how much of a drive, have u been able to replace the rear glass?...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, impress how much of a drive, have u been able to replace the rear glass?...
NO, I have only seen 2 Odysseys from Gen 2 in the past 5 years. OEM parts are next to impossible here, I even had Toyota Country (Brazil) brake pads installed in the rear until I brought some with me on the next leg. The painted rear flat-stock is sufficient for the trip, in the sun it gets quite hot but acceptable. It's amazing what 'shade tree' mechanics can do down here.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Carlos parking Greengo (disco battery) for the next 6 months in Pijau, Colombia. We could not find the garage door key prior to me leaving so this is the parking proof Carlos sent me.

Leg 5 was a short one, 3 months/5000km instead of a typical 6 (2 weeks in Ecuador and the rest driving around Colombia).

The major issue this time around was one that I brought with me from Canada, rust. The HSS tube frame below the driver’s seat has a double fist size hole and the rear suspension attach point partially collapsed inside the hollow tube (the area was reinforced with 1/4” S.S plate, you might notice the slight camber in the rear wheel, but I did not notice any inside tire wear). I had one motor mount rebuilt (by the P.S. pump) however the rubber they used was not up to Honda motor torque specs which caused the flange at the exhaust manifold to open up.

The roads are rough down here, tires, steering and suspension take a beating but the Odyssey took it like a rented mule. My goal next Fall is to find a way to ship the van North over the Darien Gap (+/- 80 km of no roads between Panama and Colombia).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Ody is coming back home north...once u get back, take it to the Lincoln/Alabama plant. Drop the key by the front desk and call an Uber to the airport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts