Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge of how the Odyssey reads MP3 tags? Most of my album songs are out of order, despite the tags having the correct track number.

Also, I've only had 1 album (so far) successfully show album art. The album art is embedded in the MP3 file, and exists in every MP3. I've looked at the tags for the 1 album that works, and the ones that don't, and can't tell any difference.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Thx,
Jay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, in case anyone cares, I've found the USB reader to be a bit flaky with flash drives. Some albums show up, some have album art, many albums have files that are not in the right order. No idea how Honda screwed up such a simple concept, or maybe there's a bug in my car, or it doesn't like my flash drives... I might never find out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I assume you're talking about mp3 songs loaded on a USB memory drive. It seems that Honda lists the folders in the order they are WRITTEN to the flash drive. It's not alphabetical at all. So, if you add new music.. it will be down at the very bottom of the list.

It's encouraging that you mentioned album art. I haven't seen any album art on my mp3s... and all of them have art embedded in the file, and are readable by Windows Media Player and Media Monkey without a problem.

I would like to understand how the Honda system reads album art off the USB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had no problems having Album Art automagically appear on the car's display when playing music from my iPod Gen 5. Maybe your problem is related to the firmware version on your iPod? I'm no expert on these things, but I do know the firmware for the various generations can be updated to the latest through iTunes, which might be what your Odyssey is expecting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume you're talking about mp3 songs loaded on a USB memory drive. It seems that Honda lists the folders in the order they are WRITTEN to the flash drive. It's not alphabetical at all. So, if you add new music.. it will be down at the very bottom of the list.

It's encouraging that you mentioned album art. I haven't seen any album art on my mp3s... and all of them have art embedded in the file, and are readable by Windows Media Player and Media Monkey without a problem.

I would like to understand how the Honda system reads album art off the USB.
Yes, sorry, I have an 8GB flash drive hooked up.

I have some albums that don't even show up, period. They work fine in any computer based capacity (MCE, Media player, etc).

Interesting, I haven't added music to the drive yet. I'll investigate the file times. Thx for the info.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had no problems having Album Art automagically appear on the car's display when playing music from my iPod Gen 5. Maybe your problem is related to the firmware version on your iPod? I'm no expert on these things, but I do know the firmware for the various generations can be updated to the latest through iTunes, which might be what your Odyssey is expecting.
Thx for the info. I'm using a flash drive, but was curious about how the iPod worked with the stereo. Does the honda stereo allow you to browse and play playlists on your iPod?

I'm guessing the USB hookup was originally intended for iPod, and everything else was an afterthought...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, the Honda stereo lets you use the iPod just as if it was in your hand -- playlists, browse, search, shuffle, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can even use the voice navigation with the ipod. We keep one in the van.

ipod search > play artist xxx / play song xxx / play genre xxx / play album xxxx

It's _really_ nice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've figured out the album cover art (for thumb drives). The embedded MP3 album art has to be a certain resolution. I've no idea what the res needs to be, but 200x200 worked for me.

And it does appear that the songs are based on first on Modified Date, then alphabetical. Basing it on Modified Date is ridiculous since the track numbers are in the mp3 tag.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can even use the voice navigation with the ipod. We keep one in the van.

ipod search > play artist xxx / play song xxx / play genre xxx / play album xxxx

It's _really_ nice.
I'm hoping to get my mother's old iPhone (to use without wireless service). :)

Unfortunately, when I bought, they didn't have any NAVs on the lot, so I settled for EX-L without, and don't get those types of voice commands.

Does it do playlists from iPods?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm hoping to get my mother's old iPhone (to use without wireless service). :)

Unfortunately, when I bought, they didn't have any NAVs on the lot, so I settled for EX-L without, and don't get those types of voice commands.

Does it do playlists from iPods?
Yes the EX-L supports iPod playlists. Don't know about voice tags -- that might be limited to Touring.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've found that the knob is actually in a great location for me to use almost absentmindedly, of course, I still need to look at the 8" screen... voice would've been nice, but oh well.

I found my old 2gb iPod that I'm going to setup and give it a shot. At this point, I just need my songs in order, and if I can get playlists via the iPod, bonus. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts