Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ody is on it's way back home from Baltimore. My wife just called and said in roughly 120 miles the van just went through a whole tank of gas.

Smooth sailing, temp is fine, no codes all highway with the cruise.

She's stopping in Charlotte to see if the dealer has any thoughts. I should have asked her to check the tire pressures I guess but I was kinda flustered at 18+ gallons of gas in two hours.

didn't see anything in a search... will let you know more when I hear more.

rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another 75 miles and ~4 gallons of gas 70mph with cruise. The dealer found nothing to run with so it's coming the rest of the way tomorrow morning 1st thing.

<--shrugs

rich

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Ok. I will be the first one to admit. I haven't even heard about such a thing. Whole tank of gas in 120 miles is beyond absurd. No CELs, checked parking brakes no dragging brakes nothing? I understand the wife is driving it back but perhaps you can have her do the basic checks like dragging brakes and CELs? Not sure what the stealers here in CLT checked though.

·
Registered
288 Posts
rwheadon-
Do you have an established relationship with a good dealership service department? How old is your van? Is it still under warranty? If you need a referral to a good Honda independent repair shop I can tell you about two-one in Chamblee and the other in Marietta. I would most definitely get it checked out. I went from Atlanta to Savannah on 1/2 tank of gas a month ago, but what your W experienced was most unusual.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not sure how the Odyssey behaves, but when the upstream O2 sensor goes out on my Mitsubishis, MPG takes a dump and there are few (if any) other symptoms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I will be the first one to admit. I haven't even heard about such a thing. Whole tank of gas in 120 miles is beyond absurd. No CELs, checked parking brakes no dragging brakes nothing? I understand the wife is driving it back but perhaps you can have her do the basic checks like dragging brakes and CELs? Not sure what the stealers here in CLT checked though.
I agree that the tank of gas going in 120 miles is quite nearly unbelievable... I choked!

I went through all the scenarios with her and nothing seemed out of place except the mileage. As far as the parking brake, she never uses it... and it would have thrown an ABS code anyway if she left it engaged wouldn't it? (My Legends do)

rwheadon-
Do you have an established relationship with a good dealership service department? How old is your van? Is it still under warranty? If you need a referral to a good Honda independent repair shop I can tell you about two-one in Chamblee and the other in Marietta. I would most definitely get it checked out. I went from Atlanta to Savannah on 1/2 tank of gas a month ago, but what your W experienced was most unusual.
Our dealer relationship is with Honda Mall of Georgia. Pretty much anything I'd send to an independent I do myself.

Usually on a fill up it takes a long time before the thing even comes off of full, probably not 100 miles but not far from it. We experienced 22mpg pulling a light trailer on vacation this summer so that is my frame of reference and she should be beating that with an empty van carrying 2 passengers.

I'm not sure how the Odyssey behaves, but when the upstream O2 sensor goes out on my Mitsubishis, MPG takes a dump and there are few (if any) other symptoms.
^This is actually a very good call. In my experience our O2 sensors are bad a long time before we start throwing codes. (But a full tank in 120 miles is really pushing it.)

This vehicle only has 107K (2005 LX) on it so I would be surprised if it is anything huge that caused this. Since the car is running fine (apparently) she will finish the trip and we'll pursue some diagnostics here local.

Thanks for popping in the thread and validating exactly my sentiments. I would have thought the Ody would have been way crazy to drive sucking that much gas.

rich

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
With that bad MPG, if this is a faulty O2 sensor, it surely would have thrown a code triggering the CEL. But anything's fair game at this point with no clues to the mystery. Also, not sure if the parking brake causes the ABS light to trigger.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Was she driving in D2?
I only ask because my friend did this for about 10 miles and then realized it!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Was she driving in D2?
Came to post this, because an old friend just did this with her Mercedes. She drives with her radio volume "on 11," and didn't realize it for almost 100 miles (!). Ask your Beloved to give you the RPMs while she's at highway speeds, who knows... it might just be possible... did she accidentally depress the button on the shifter to kick out OD? :huh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With that bad MPG, if this is a faulty O2 sensor, it surely would have thrown a code triggering the CEL. But anything's fair game at this point with no clues to the mystery. Also, not sure if the parking brake causes the ABS light to trigger.
I'm with you on the O2 being a stretch.

Was she driving in D2?
Came to post this, because an old friend just did this with her Mercedes. She drives with her radio volume "on 11," and didn't realize it for almost 100 miles (!). Ask your Beloved to give you the RPMs while she's at highway speeds, who knows... it might just be possible... did she accidentally depress the button on the shifter to kick out OD? :huh:
Yup, I covered that one. ~2K rpm @ highway speeds when I was talking to her. I'm enjoying the thought of our '05 doing like 5K rpm for 2 hours though, I might have to tank the happy homecoming with some acerbic humor around it. :argue: The big unknown is what all was going on in that 2 hours (9AM until 11AM) that sucked a full tank down.

Lets just see what happens in the morning. I also have a little bit of a theory going on whether it was really a fill up or if it was a fill until the thingy clicks off thing. No miles on the receipts will make it tough though.

rich

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yup, I covered that one. ~2K rpm @ highway speeds when I was talking to her. I'm enjoying the thought of our '05 doing like 5K rpm for 2 hours though, I might have to tank the happy homecoming with some acerbic humor around it. :argue: The big unknown is what all was going on in that 2 hours (9AM until 11AM) that sucked a full tank down.

rich
Would the clueless dealer have overlooked a leak of some kind? I'm just as baffled as you, I just can't imagine some anomaly gulping down that much gas without the attendant CEL, noise, smoke, lack of performance, or leaving a wet trail. I mean, there's only just so much that can go wrong and not much more... and "when the impossible has been eliminated, whatever remains, however improbable, is the answer..." :rollingeyes:

Good luck, no doubt you'll report as soon as your mystery's solved... ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Lets just see what happens in the morning. I also have a little bit of a theory going on whether it was really a fill up or if it was a fill until the thingy clicks off thing. No miles on the receipts will make it tough though.

rich

one time, I fill up and it stops with (approximately gallon fill up) lower than I expected.. I checked my dash only to find out it really wasN'T full tank..

·
Registered
786 Posts
Also, not sure if the parking brake causes the ABS light to trigger.
Regardless of what light the parking brake would trigger, I would think that annoying beep would be hard to miss. I use the parking brake ALL of the time, and if I drive off with it on, there is a noticeable difference in the handling, if the car moves at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've gone through the receipts and it does not appear the tank was underfilled, which was what I was hoping to find as the problem. To the different gear or brake on questions I got a very stern ... "impossible". :)

The van is driving fine and our city mileage of 17mpg is applying so all I can do is shrug and move on right now.

Thanks for being puzzled with me. If anything emerges as an answer I will be sure to post it here.

rich

·
Registered
404 Posts
One last possibility or three (a very long shot, but hey): The station may have shorted her purchase? :huh:

Or an even longer shot... while filling up, did she leave the vehicle for any reason while filling up? Dishonest, desperate folks have been known to hijack your fill-up by pulling out the hose momentarily from your vehicle and filling up on your dime while you look away/walk away... :mad:

Or... wizardry? A Harry Potter incantation on the order of evaporatus gasolinis maximus thrust upon her for an unintended slight on the road? I'm grasping here... :p

I'm with you, shrug and move on... :DD

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think it's impossible to ignore a parking brake that's left set, because the Odyssey will beep at you and flash the brake light. But there's a similar, related possibility. A brake caliper could be sticking and dragging. This can be hard to notice, but can significantly affect mileage. And it will wear out your brake shoes very fast, as well. A brake that's sticking enough to cut mileage will also be getting hot. If you can comfortably touch all of the wheels after some time on the freeway, then the sticking brake theory is wrong. If one wheel is a lot hotter than the others, that brake should be looked at.

But as others have suggested, if it only happened on one tank, it was probably something about the fillup, and if it returns to normal on its own, just move on.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Could your wife have filled up with E85? There's not as much energy in ethanol, but I don't know the effect on MPG in a car not designed for it. Anyway, just a thought as you move on...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could your wife have filled up with E85? There's not as much energy in ethanol, but I don't know the effect on MPG in a car not designed for it. Anyway, just a thought as you move on...
If that was the case it would be a very costly mistake. If I remember right, every hose and seal would be destroyed from the gas tank to the engine. Might not happen right away, and even one tank of the stuff could cause permanent damage. IIRC, cars are designed to have now more than 15% ethanol (since many states mix 10% ethanol in winter months, with a tolerance to 12%) unless they are built to be E85 compatible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to follow up on this... we never were able to identify what happened and the vehicle runs fine.

just really strange.

rich

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had this happen to my old 86 CRX Si. I filled up at a Sunoco station that I never usually go to and lost 1/2 tank in a 74 mile trip right after fill-up. It never happened again after that.

Sent from my Autoguide iPod touch app

1 - 20 of 22 Posts