Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Long time member, but haven't posted in forever.

Recently totaled my 2nd Gen 2002 EX-L Navi Ody, and replaced it with an 84K 3rd Gen 2006 EX-L w/ NAV & RES

I bought my 2nd gen '02 brand new. I kept up with all scheduled maintenance religiously (everything ... oil changes, brake fluid flush, rotate/balance, etc). Only ever using Mobil 1 5W-20.

I was able to consistently get lower 20's (22-23) mpg. Getting as high as 26 mpg once in a while.

One of my main reasons for getting the EX-L 3rd gen Ody was the published 28 MPG ratings (since gas has been hovering at $3 / gallon).

I've had it now for approx. one month, and seem to only be getting upper teens to low 20s for MPG). Best so far has been approx. 21.6.

I drive like an old lady (never passing 60 on highway, etc). Pretty much exact same way I drove my 02 Ody.

What gives? 20 mpg highway for a 3rd gen EX-L is a far cry from the claimed 28 MPG.

I've seen some post pointing to ethanol winter blend being used up here in Northeast. But that mix was also being used when I had my 02, and I never saw such a huge drop in MPG.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree, how they invented those "ratings" is beyond me.
This thing is a very heavy beast, getting it going will cost ya.
So a lot of stop and go is really going to hurt, the cold weather, gas formulation, etc don't help one bit.
Best thing however, is keep records, constantly, then see how the numbers flow. I average 9 tanks (current & 4 back & 4 forward) and looking back over the last year see 17.7 - 24.9 reflecting winter/city to summer/highway. Individual tanks range from 12 to 26 and all points inbetween. That's just this last year, so not until you have a lot of data points and average them will you have something useful.
My overall average, 46,000 miles, is 22.8

If we could measure mileage only during highway 3cyl mode, then we might be close to the "rating", everything else, starting, stopping, cold weather, short trips, etc etc, simply subtract from that target.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Actually pretty much the same.
I owned a 2001 Ody...sold it.
I now have 2007 Ody.

Hwy mileage is about 24-25 mpg for both the 2001 (2nd gen) and 2007 (3rd gen) Ody:
- 2 adults, 4 kids.
- standard luggage
- tires at 35 psi.
- speed 65-70 mph flat road.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Bigger, heavier, more power....not good for mpg. The VCM obviously only builds the EPA rating which I'm sure is why they "offer" this feature. Easy way to bump your CAFE and the customer pays for it.

I also thought based on the EPA sticker in 2005 that we could average at least 24mpg given our previous history. That previous history was that we tended to average right between the city/hwy numbers and on all highway trips we would top or exceed the hwy rating. Well turns out 18-20 is average with a lifetime record of a tad over 24mpg on a long trip of 55-60mph roads. Oh well. Our previous V8 4x4 Tahoe averaged 16-17 and would hit 21-22 on hwy trips. Still a great vehicle so I can't complain too much given that it is very heavy vehicle (within 400# of a Tahoe) and has as good or better performance. Too bad it doesn't have 4x4....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mileage '03 vs '09

I've noticed that since trading up to my '09 that I get about 19 around town vs the 20 I got with the older model. Highway mileage is also down slightly.

5th gear in the VCM equipped vans is different; my '09 revs higher for the same road speed.

If I was really that interested I'd borrow the '03 back from my daughter and use my ScanGuage and GPS to do a comparison study (same road/speed/day/fuel) and get some hard data.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Have they gotten Scanguage to work with these? In the past the VCM blows the calc to pieces.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Scanguage II with VCM

Well, it sort of works. Sometimes it will correctly show when the engine goes into fuel cutoff (closed throttle with RPM above about 1200) but will fail to recognize cylinder shutdown and show high fuel rate/low mileage. Unplugging and replugging the unit usually causes it to switch modes. In the second mode it correctly reports mileage/consumption in cylinder shutdown but shows some fuel flow when all injectors should be shut down.

I suspect that in the first mode it's reading the command to the injector on #1 and multiplying by 6 and in the second it's simply reading the mass airflow sensor and extrapolating fuel flow from that.

However, it tracks my actual consumption within 2-3% when in the second mode.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Scangauge works on my 07 Ody, I had to set the fuel cut off to 15. When the green ECO light turns on, the LPH number also changes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My '08 EX-L gets a consistent 25+ mph on the highway at 70'ish mpg with ACC on Auto. Around town about 20mpg. I believe the '08-'09 VCM Ody's are rated 27mpg highway which I could see if running 55 mph w/cruise, windows closed and A/C "OFF"

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think I am hovering high teens, low 20's. I get about 300 miles to a tank given mixed city/hiway driving.

Given I've had it for a bit more than a week, I'd say its less than I expected and possibly due to the winter formulation?

whats best for these vans? the 87, 89, or 91 octane? Seems to me with the winter prices and formulation 87 is the way to go...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Last night my Scanguage reported 27.2 mpg for a ~45 mile trip. Steady speeds right at the speed limit (35 - 60 MPH), sluglike acceleration, and only about 5 stop/starts. Dead flat except for a bridge (70 foot height). That's with winter formula 10% ethanol 87 octane.

It seems that the most economical speed is somewhere around 35-40 MPH in 4th gear; getting around 35 mpg. It's interesting to watch the mileage decrease with increasing cruise speed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
fusionrx said:
I think I am hovering high teens, low 20's. I get about 300 miles to a tank given mixed city/hiway driving.

Given I've had it for a bit more than a week, I'd say its less than I expected and possibly due to the winter formulation?

whats best for these vans? the 87, 89, or 91 octane? Seems to me with the winter prices and formulation 87 is the way to go...

I too am getting only around 300 miles. So for a 21 gal tank, that averages out to 14.3 mpg which is what the low end of our experience. Quite often, the low fuel light comes on at only around 250 miles. For the full year 2010, we averaged 16.7 mpg. I was thinking that when we bought this 3rd gen Ody that it would be better than the 2nd gen. Our 99 Ody got around 18 mpg. BTW, my mpg figures are for combined city/hwy driving.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't get a low fuel light at 250lbs.

Given the cold, I don't let the tank get much below a 1/4 tank or less. I have filled it up and suspect I probably could have gotten 350 out of the tank.

Again, I've only filled the tank 2 time since I have owned it, so I don't have hard data yet.

Definately not the 18/25 city/Hiway rating... (am about 20% city, 80% highway, doing about 55 miles daily commute).

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
blueblueody said:
I too am getting only around 300 miles. So for a 21 gal tank, that averages out to 14.3 mpg which is what the low end of our experience. Quite often, the low fuel light comes on at only around 250 miles. For the full year 2010, we averaged 16.7 mpg. I was thinking that when we bought this 3rd gen Ody that it would be better than the 2nd gen. Our 99 Ody got around 18 mpg. BTW, my mpg figures are for combined city/hwy driving.
Are you actually calculating your mileage like that?? You're not pumping 21 gallons into the tank at 300 miles....so 14.3mpg isn't the correct answer. Most of us can only get 16-18 gallons into the tank after the light comes on.... that's your denominator.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For that kind of commuter mileage (55 mi) you should be getting much better fuel mileage.

I think it is very common to get between 20/26 mpg city/hwy. I average 23mpg with mixed driving consisently.

Sounds like it may be time to check your O2 sensors.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Are 02 sensors something I can access myself? Anyone have an electronic repair manual for this vehicle?

·
Registered
44 Posts
skinny2 said:
Are you actually calculating your mileage like that?? You're not pumping 21 gallons into the tank at 300 miles....so 14.3mpg isn't the correct answer. Most of us can only get 16-18 gallons into the tank after the light comes on.... that's your denominator.
Actually, I do use the # gals at each fill up to compute the mpg. And as you point out, my fill up ranges 16-18 gals as well and that is the mileage we get.

My point is that with a 21 gal tank and if one gets around 22 mpg, filling up about 18 gals, you should be at around 400 miles when you gas up.

We have had our 2008 Ody for 1 year and it only has 36k miles right now. Should the 02 sensor be an issue already?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine is an 07 with 42K miles, so I will echo his question as well. Should the 02 sensor be bad already?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am only saying that it sounds like something is wrong but it could be something else or your driving style (or location).
O2 sensors do not usually fail that quickly, but when you see a drop in mileage, O2 sensors and MAF sensors are often the culprit.
Does your van have VCM? Mine does but I doubt it helps more than about 1 mpg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts