Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 09 Ody and 10 Accord V6. Same engine. The Ody is about 1,000lbs heavier.

On the Ody, I was able to get 28.9 MPG with 90% hwy. This is with full gear and one extra person. 5 total.

VCM FTW.

Same trip, same distance, same speeds.

With the Accord, I got 29.6 MPG. I took the Accord on this trip because of the there is less people (4) and less gear (100lbs less).

How come the MPG are so similar?

Meaning, I'm happy with the Ody's MPG, but expected better numbers from the Accord. I know the EPA numbers. But how could a brick that weights 1,000lbs more get the same MPG as something smaller, lower, sleeker, etc, etc?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Huge tail wind for the Ody? (it's like a big sail....)

Most don't get anywhere near that with the Ody. How long of a trip are we talking?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
7 hr drive. Wind would be the only factor. Although I don't recall the weather being anything worth noting.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I own a 09 Ody and 10 Accord V6. Same engine. The Ody is about 1,000lbs heavier.

On the Ody, I was able to get 28.9 MPG with 90% hwy. This is with full gear and one extra person. 5 total.

VCM FTW.

Same trip, same distance, same speeds.

With the Accord, I got 29.6 MPG. I took the Accord on this trip because of the there is less people (4) and less gear (100lbs less).

How come the MPG are so similar?

Meaning, I'm happy with the Ody's MPG, but expected better numbers from the Accord. I know the EPA numbers. But how could a brick that weights 1,000lbs more get the same MPG as something smaller, lower, sleeker, etc, etc?
Are you complaining about your stellar Ody mileage, or griping about your subnormal Accord one? Are all the tires properly inflated? Head winds, temperature, use of cruise, use of a/c, speeds and distance of trip(s)... all these have a bearing. :DD

The Ody should get about 2-5 mpg less, and the Accord about 2-5 mpg more... all things being equal... :huh:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you complaining about your stellar Ody mileage, or griping about your subnormal Accord one? Are all the tires properly inflated? Head winds, temperature, use of cruise, use of a/c, speeds and distance of trip(s)... all these have a bearing. :DD

The Ody should get about 2-5 mpg less, and the Accord about 2-5 mpg more... all things being equal... :huh:
I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is. I guess it would be:

Disappointed - Accord's MPG.

Happy - Ody's MPG.

I guess my standard for the Accord was set too high based on my Ody's experience. I was expecting to see low 30s for the Accord.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts