Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, i have a 2001 with the 4 spd auto. Anyhow car has ran perfect for 10 years - no repairs. All of the sudden the MPG went down. Anyhow the only thing I did recently was added a trailer hitch. had to move the exaust out of the way to tighten it up. I can't imagine i torqued the exhaust enough to hurt anything ? Pulled our lightweight boat a few times (about 2500 lbs) - but the van pulled it with ease. So I'm guessing that is coincidence or fluke ?

Is there something that i can check ?

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Is this MPG drop over one tank or several tanks?

Check engine light on?

Any other modifications/repairs lately other than the trailer hitch (which I do not believe to be the cause)? Same gas as before? Degrading O2 sensors and Cat Converter can cause MPG drop.

Check out the link below in my signature line for info on our 2001s...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks !

let me drive the van more tomorrow and get some better numbers - i might be bad gas or something.

no CEL or any other lights

·
Registered
10 Posts
One way I increased MPG

Ok, maybe it's just us here in Hawaii, but we have 10% Ethanol gas at almost all our gas stations. on this type of gas, I get 14-15MPG with mixed driving.

A few years ago, the gas stations near the coast & near the harbors began carrying Ethanol-Free gas. It cost about the same as super unleaded but the fisherman used it on their boats because the Ethanol gas would screw up their boats engines. So it got me thinking that my 2002 Ody EX was manufactured when we didn't have Ethanol gas.

So for the past year I have been using Ethanol-Free gas & I get 18-19MPG on mixed driving. Living in Hawaii isn't like it is on the mainland where there are long stretches of driving so we don't get to see the actual Highway MPG that you get on the mainland. But with the increase that I have seen, I don't mind paying a little extra to make my $$ stretch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys, forgot to post back until I saw the message today. I think i just had a glitch - I drove the van a few days using the same gas stations each time I filled up and was averaging 18 MPG mixed again - so all is well. I do agree with last poster - that ethenol decreases the MPG - that ethenol was never a good idea - costs everyone more in the long run (in many ways)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts