Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what others are getting in fuel economy after they have depaxed and about their ECO light coming on.

I have used the search for this and I cant find the exact thing I am looking for, so please dont tell me to use the search. I have read countless threads trying to find this such as this one, which was close but not exact.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137171&highlight=eco

This is what I am getting. Driving ~58 mph (8 degrees outside) on a straight level highway, my ECO light will come on and I get about 22-23 MPG. (feel that should be better) I have just replaced my tires/wheels with the Hankook Ventus RH07 EXTRA LOAD 235/55/18. When I am going ~74 mph on a straight level highway, same temperature, my ECO light barely ever comes on and I am only getting about 19 mpg. Granted I have 4 adults, 2 kids and a fair amount of luggage.)

Unfortunately, I didnt really pay as much attention to the MPG when I had the stupid PAX tires on but I am almost sure I was getting better gas mileage and the ECO light was on alot when I was going 74mph. When I put these new wheels/tires on, the shop thought I could see as much as a 10% increase in the mileage because of the weight of the Pax tires. I feel I am seeing less.

Anyway, I am wondering
1) if the tires I put on Hankook Ventus RH07 EXTRA LOAD 235/55/18 have an exact speedometer conversion to the PAX tires. (Cant think of the goofy size that PAX tires are)

2) Have others found their mileage to be worse without the PAX tires?

3) What about your ECO light turning on? Does it come on at 74mph on a straight highway? Should I have the computer programed, etc.?

Any suggestions and comparisons I would love to hear from you. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have depaxed with the same height tire...I believe they are Yokohama.

Straight and level at 70 with 2 adults and one kid, I can get about 23 to 24. Slowing down to 65 might help 1 mpg. I am running 40 psi in the tires.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Bear in mind that mileage drops, sometimes significantly, in the winter due to a different fuel formulation.

The 3-4 mpg drop with increased speed is typical, regardless of PAX.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My de-PAXed tires are 17". Were on the Ody when I purchased it. My mileage is 15 city/23 hiway. Not the 20/28 I had anticipated. I BELIEVE that the 17" tires do make a difference, but should not be 25% less mpg.

·
Registered
55 Posts
An observation, if you will!!

When I had my Chevrolet dealer replace my Optimo tires on my 08 Malibu this past winter - I specifically directed him to replace them with "exact tires." When I picked my car up he had put on the Ventus tires ....

My Malibu, which I bought new, has always given me mileage of 34 - 37 in summer fuel, 31 - 32 in winter fuel.

First thing I discovered was my mileage dropped immediately to 24 - 27 mpg and I was not pleased....

Few weeks later the dealer finally agreed he screwed up and replaced the Ventus tires with the Optimo that I ordered. Mileage immediately went back up to the low 30's.

Then I took the Malibu and traded it for present 07 Odyssey (Malibu was developing transmission issues). My 50 + years of GM ownership is now history - never again a GM.

Just for your info

God Bless

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just looked at the Ventus you installed --- good diameter tire, has 28.1 inches so slightly larger than the PAX.

However it is a soft tire, meant for handling. Has a mileage rating of 420 (which means you likely won't even get as good of tread life as the PAX (which I believe has a 500 rating).

But - they "stick" to the pavement....

Likely the RR is your problem ---

God Bless

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can't answer in totality - but after you posted the question I went out and weighed one of the PAX tires I have (I have 4 extras that came with the van when I bought it).

The PAX tire tipped my bathroom scales at 76 pounds.

On the other hand - the wheels and tires I have enroute were shipped by UPS and the mounted tire on the 9 spoke wheel was shipped at 40 pounds.

So - I cannot be exact - but close to 1/2 the weight of the PAX.

God Bless

Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have also noticed the same behavior with my 2006 touring after depaxed with Hankook Ventus RH07 EXTRA LOAD 235/55/18. My fuel efficient drop dramatically. The ECON light comes on but as often as it used with pax tires. The econ light does not still on as long as it did with pax as the vehicle requests more more (gas pedal). I remembered when econ light was on with pax tires the fuel mileage would change and provide more mileage range, but now it would not change with econ light. The strange thing is that the econ light comes on but the miles range does add mile range in the dashboard. The mileage range is still going down with the econ light on. The commonalities is the Ventus RH07 EXTRA LOAD 235/55/18 tires. I will continue doing research on this, let me know if you find anything to help with this issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently bought OTC genisys scanner for hobby. I used it to scan the odyssey and retrieved a few codes, but one of the codes was very concerned to me was ECM/PCM malfunction code 83-01. The ECM / PCM malfuction might be the reason of fuel efficient issue as fuel mileage range does readjust when ECON light is on. I would like to know if ECM /PCM replacement is a DYI, please advise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts