Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2002 GG Ody EXL. Dealer had promised appearance package with pinstripes/mud guards/wheel locks as 'incentive' to buy. When van arrived for delivery, these items were not present. Dealer promised when I came back for the items that he would put them on promptly. When I came back he said that he would offer me the undercoating 'sound shield'/paint sealer package for $288.00, about $120.00 below retail. This he said would also 'help' the accessory salesperson more easily accept the mudguard/pinstripe/wheel lock issue.

My question is...should I consider it OK to get all of the above for the $288.00,(for both the finish protectors and the appearance package), or should I be upset for being duped and complain to American Honda Motor Company or even the Better Business Bureau?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The dealer should provide you what he said he would without changing the deal.

Undercoating and paint sealer are high profit items for the dealer and do not really add anything to the car.

Wheel locks and mud guards are cheap and easy to install yourself if you want. I don't know the price of pinstriping.

I personally wouldn't spend $288 for something worthless just to get what had been promised to me and probably cost less than that $288 anyway.

I have never thought of the BBB as a recourse - they are owned by and supported by the very businesses they are supposed to monitor. They are NOT a consumer watchdog agency and do not have our best interests at heart.

Before going to Honda, I'd give the dealer one last chance to do complete the deal the way it was set up, forgetting about any additional charges. It is his job to know what he can and can't sell. Who cares if the accessory salesperson is unhappy? That's the dealer's problem, which he should have worked out before making the promise to you.

Tell him you're not happy with the change. Be firm but professional and in control. Then if he still tries to run the scam on you, go to Honda.

Maybe others will have better ideas; this just really burns me up. I had a sleazy dealer do a similar thing to me when I was young, and I fell for it.

IMHO,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree with Maugham. The undercoating and paint protection are useless and only there to pad the dealer profit.
You aren't really being duped after all he is a "car salesman" and we all know the high integrity standards that these guys live by. He is just trying a textbook sales gimick to squeeze every last dollar out of you. Don't fall for it.
He is obligated to give you the original deal. If he does not want to do that then I would contact his manager first and then Honda.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi nsommers,

Technology in building cars today are made much much much better than a decade or two ago, so add-on undercoating and paint sealers are not necessary.

I think it is just a ploy by your dealer to squeeze a bit more from your wallet to fill his especially with your description that it would help the accessory person "accept" the appearance package.

Do you have the appearance package written on your purchase order? If not, then you probably won't get it.
He's probably counting that you'd still get the van regardless but since you've had your heart set on the accessories package that you'd want to fork over his extra commission.

Good luck. Hope you get the stuff though without having to pay for it.

Thanks,
Errol

------------------
Keohi Web Design
Keohi HDTV

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, unfortunately, I am not in control of the situation anymore, as I felt obligated to accept the "offer" he presented. I'm sure I already know the answer to this, but considering my scenario, do I have any recourse at all, i.e. should I report the dealer to American Honda Motor Company?

I'm cringing now, but does anyone have any information on Auto Armor Entire Car Protection? The protection services done were the Environmental Paint Protection w/ Teflon Fluorocarbon Resin (warrantied for 5 yrs, supposedly, and you're never supposed to have to wax your car), and the Sound Shield (undercoating-supposed to reduce road noise by 50%) The company's name that sells these services is "ecpinc". They have a number 1-800-323-3521 and an address: P.O. Box 1098, Oak Brook, IL 60522 and a website: www.epinc.net.

Just want to know if they are 'entirely' worthless, or if there is hope of 'some' value I can attach to this. I know I got taken, I just want to know how badly. The sales price again was $288.00.

For those interested, the dealership was Rosenthal Honda of Tyson's Corner, VA. It is located next to our nation's capital.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your replys...I appreciate the wisdom and experience you share!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I absolutely agree with the replies here. Consumers Guide has also had several articles on these subjects that basicly said the same thing.
I am sure the dealer will honor the original agreement if you persist.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow-up on the story

Called Rosenthal Honda to complain to sales manager. He agreed to speak to the dealer about his tactics. While not offering me a monetary refund, which I probably would have preferred, he did offer to give me Honda accessories (e.g...the cargo tray, roof racks) to alleviate the sense of loss.

I learned a valuable lesson here, and am grateful to be getting 'something' tangible for the extra money I forked out.

Hope that my story will help other buyers be more circumspect.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree w/the above, the BBB will get you nowhere. Years ago, when I was a poor starving student, a Dodge dealership service department took me for a few hundred bucks and refused to even talk to me about it. I went back to my dorm and wrote a nasty little letter to every Consumer Affairs reporter at each local TV station and brought it to the Service Manager. I asked him if he wanted me to mail it. I was promptly given $250 and a free oil change.

I'm usually a push-over nice guy type but they ticked me off during finals week! I don't think I'd do that now but it sure felt good then.

Good luck,
Dave

[I started composing my post before yours appeared but you got in before me. That's what I get for being a slow typist!]

[This message has been edited by Gettin'AVan (edited 11-08-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nsommers:
...he did offer to give me Honda accessories (e.g...the cargo tray, roof racks) to alleviate the sense of loss.
</font>
You did good to get something out of them after the fact, congratulations!

I hope you don't feel too bad about the turn of events.

The additional money is small compared to the total value of the van. What is most irksome is the way dealers squeeze the last few bucks out of buyers, most of whom are in an elevated emotional state during the transaction.

Most car salespeople are like the <a href="http://allaboutfrogs.org/stories/scorpion.html">scorpion riding the frog</a>.

It sounds like you have been able to put this behind you and to move on.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green Grass stains and '01 White Laces w/ Frayed Tips

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to agree, car saleman are weasles. Our salesman gave us the evaluation form to fill out and sat there and told us how Honda's grading system is really harsh so even if we gave him Very Good's, he'd still only get the equivalent of 65% so he'd really appreciate it if we would give him all excellents. Well, as someone said above, I was all excited about my van and just thought, ok whatever, and gave him all excellents. Now that I've had time to think about it, I'm really sorry I did that. He wasn't awful or anything, but he wasn't that great either, he didn't have to do any work after all to sell it to us. I probably would have given him somewhere in the fair to good range on most things, but definitely not excellent.

My only "saving grace" is where it asked if we were offered the extended warrenty I marked NO, since he never even mentioned it to us, other than to have us sign a paper that said we didn't want it. I'm sure the Sales Manager will question him on that one.

But, at least I have my Ody, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wow, your salesman never offered the extended warranty? I was asked if I wanted it at least half a dozen times! I think it's a nice little money-earner for the dealership, as they mark it up $500 or so, and it appears to be a small amount of money compared to the overall vehicle cost (of course this applies to all the add-ons they try to get you to buy).

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know, I was quite surprised. I actually did talk to the finance guy over the phone a month or so ago, and talked him down in price on the 5yr/100k mile warrenty. Then when we went to pick up the van, the salesman put this paper in front of me that said I didn't want a warrenty, so I figured, ok, I can still get it cheaper then the price they were offering so fine I'll sign the paper saying I don't want it, and that was it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is this with the dealer pressuring us to give him all 'excellents'? Funny, I was asked also to grade him high on a Honda customer survey, even after the paint sealant/undercoating issue. I was told that if I marked him fair or below, that he would lose his bonus. Hey, after paying $450.00 over MSRP, plus a $289.00 'document processing' fee (even though I am registering the car in another state myself), and $300.00 for undercoating/sealant of questionable value, I am not sure that I am all that sympathetic as to whether or not he gets his bonus.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We paid $975 for a 7yr/80,000mi bump2bump, no deductable extended warranty. I went for the deal after Dealer offered to cut interest rate from 6.5 to 5.5. Also, dealer wanted $895 for sealant BS. He would only knock that down to $185. Don't know if I got ripped off or not. Love the GG CX-L though!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts