Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For as long as I can remember, when we walk away from our van (whether in our driveway, in a store parking lot, doesn't matter where), almost always the van gives us 5-6 quick beeps in a row (no lights, just beeps). I checked the Owner's Manual and there is NO information about what different beeps mean and I can't find any information online about settings or configuration or what the beeps are for.

Brand new battery. No other random beeps at any other time. Everything seems to be working fine otherwise. Any know what these beeps are when I walk away from the van?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have your van set to automatically lock once the key is about 10 ft away.
That may be the case but the car does not automatically lock. I beeped at me this morning when I walked away with the key fob in hand. Since your reply, I just went to check and it did not lock the doors. When I shut the door and walked away, it beeped at me again.

So it may be set to auto lock, but it doesn't do it and beeps at me anyways. No additional key fob is in the car.

·
Registered
2018 Touring
49 Posts
5-6 quick beeps means it didnt auto lock. You need to hit the lock button on the remote.

Not sure why it does this but mine does it 90% of the time when we get out and walk away from the van. Only about 10% of the time it gives the 2 beep lock notification automatically when I walk away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s my understanding that the multiple beeps is letting you know it did not auto lock because the fob was too far away before it tried. To test out, shut the door and stand close to the car until you hear a single beep, that single beep is confirming that it auto-locked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does it to me
5-6 quick beeps means it didnt auto lock. You need to hit the lock button on the remote.

Not sure why it does this but mine does it 90% of the time when we get out and walk away from the van. Only about 10% of the time it gives the 2 beep lock notification automatically when I walk away.
EXACTLY!!! This is the same thing that happens to us. I noticed 2 days ago that it did auto-lock. Ironically, after I got home from the dealer after this was something they couldn't replicate in the shop.

This explains it. Basically, it sounds like this feature doesn't like it when you don't hover close enough to your car for long enough upon exiting. The problem is - this is a minivan. I have kids that I'm not going to sit around and wait for in my own driveway while they all slowly get out, argue, fuss and otherwise take their sweet time to get out of the van and shut the doors. I thought Honda would've figured that out by now. :cautious:

Now that it's confirmed that is what is happening, is there any way to turn the feature off? I don't need it and it seems it is more of a nuisance than a necessity.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I HATE the auto lock on this van.
My Volt will lock 20sec later as long as no key remains in the car.

If you are 10 inches from the van it'll 5 beep and refuse to lock. I find myself constantly waiting for sliding doors to close and confirmation beeps. HATE IT

·
Registered
2022 EX-L
56 Posts
It does it to me

EXACTLY!!! This is the same thing that happens to us. I noticed 2 days ago that it did auto-lock. Ironically, after I got home from the dealer after this was something they couldn't replicate in the shop.

This explains it. Basically, it sounds like this feature doesn't like it when you don't hover close enough to your car for long enough upon exiting. The problem is - this is a minivan. I have kids that I'm not going to sit around and wait for in my own driveway while they all slowly get out, argue, fuss and otherwise take their sweet time to get out of the van and shut the doors. I thought Honda would've figured that out by now. :cautious:

Now that it's confirmed that is what is happening, is there any way to turn the feature off? I don't need it and it seems it is more of a nuisance than a necessity.
I think there is a setting you can get to that will allow you to turn off the auto lock feature. I just don't recall off the top of my head what menu its under in the settings app.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You have to wait for the doors to close before you lock the car manually anyway, so why not just wait for the 6 beeps then lock it manually. The 6 beeps (when I am too far away) just tell me that the last door closed and you can lock your car now.

otherwise, when you aren’t waiting for sliding doors to close you can just walk away and it will lock. You get one beep telling you that it will lock when you walk away and a second beep to tell you that it locked successfully when you got far enough away.

The only time I don’t like it is when I park in the garage and don’t want it locked.

It wants you close to the car with the key so it knows that you know what is happening with the doors and status of the car before you leave and assume your car is locked.

you just need to be 5 feet or so from the car when the doors close for it to work. All seems reasonable to me.

You can definitely turn it off in the menus if you hate it. Then you can guess when the doors finally close and lock it after they do so.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It does it to me

On the center display; Select: Home>Settings>Vehicle>Keyless Access Setup>Walk Away Auto Lock

For reference, it starts on page 449 of the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mines especially does this when the fob is in my pocket and my phone is in the same pocket. In the summer when the keys are clipped on my belt, it doesnt do this much. Winter, well keys are in my coat pocket and possibly thats enough to mess with the signal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have to wait for the doors to close before you lock the car manually anyway, so why not just wait for the 6 beeps then lock it manually. The 6 beeps (when I am too far away) just tell me that the last door closed and you can lock your car now.

otherwise, when you aren’t waiting for sliding doors to close you can just walk away and it will lock. You get one beep telling you that it will lock when you walk away and a second beep to tell you that it locked successfully when you got far enough away.

The only time I don’t like it is when I park in the garage and don’t want it locked.

It wants you close to the car with the key so it knows that you know what is happening with the doors and status of the car before you leave and assume your car is locked.

you just need to be 5 feet or so from the car when the doors close for it to work. All seems reasonable to me.

You can definitely turn it off in the menus if you hate it. Then you can guess when the doors finally close and lock it after they do so.
Seriously? Don't assume that people operate or prefer things the same way you do. I came here looking for suggestions on a feature I don't like. I don't think it's necessary to throw shade on people like "all seems reasonable to me" and "why not just wait for the 6 beeps". I don't like my car needlessly beeping at me when I'm dealing with 3 kids who may or may not get out of the car and I may or may not be a certain distance away from the van when they may or may not have all the doors shut. I just think if you don't have a suggestion to fix it, don't assume others have the same preferences as you do.

Thank you highvoltage for the process. I couldn't find it in the manual my first time through but that makes sense now. I'll look into it.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
@Delosky For some further details read into this recent posting on same subject.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,262 Posts
@Delosky I don't blame you. The Honda engineer's design of the autolock feature left it full of trap doors and confusion. It works sporadically depending on what mood the Bluetooth transmitter is in. DJVAN started a similar thread found here, How does automatic door locking really work? See my post #10 in this thread. I hate the darn thing and don't use it.

You mentioned about your kids being a barrier to its smooth operation. Been there. I also hate standing in the pouring rain while the car decides to close the doors and lock them after I run away dodging rain drops the size of my fist, only to find I didn't receive the confirmation beep 🤣. It's NOT a smooth system!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Easiest for me is to press the lock button inside the door.
The vehicle will automatically lock when all of the opened doors are closed.
No need to hover near the vehicle for the walk away auto lock, or wait for everyone to close the doors so you can press the small button on the outside handle.

The vehicle will flash the parking lights to confirm the doors have been locked.

·
Registered
2018 EX
2,262 Posts
No need to hover near the vehicle for the walk away auto lock, or wait for everyone to close the doors so you can press the small button on the outside handle.
The vehicle will flash the parking lights to confirm the doors have been locked.
Good for you, bandit400. You're employing the same method we always did in the 70s through the 90s, and that is to manually lock the door and walk away. These autolock systems are just another gimmick from the marketing people that doesn't work well.

·
Registered
2019 Ody EX
561 Posts

Hi Bandit400,

Thanks for posting your tip.

However, the quandry is how to insure auto lock when unloading groceries from the rear liftgate. Using your method, when we press the lock button inside the driver's door and then close the door, the auto lock would happen. However, we then open the rear liftgate, unload groceries and then close the liftgate. That is where the problem apparently happened when my wife last used our van and it was left unlocked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Difficult when you dont include year and trim of your Ody….

For as long as I can remember, when we walk away from our van (whether in our driveway, in a store parking lot, doesn't matter where), almost always the van gives us 5-6 quick beeps in a row (no lights, just beeps). I checked the Owner's Manual and there is NO information about what different beeps mean and I can't find any information online about settings or configuration or what the beeps are for.

Brand new battery. No other random beeps at any other time. Everything seems to be working fine otherwise. Any know what these beeps are when I walk away from the van?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts