Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work yesterday in the rain. It took me over an hour to get to work and was raining pretty hard. I was about five minutes away when all of a sudden my van starting running very rough and shuddered pretty bad when I accelerated. I limped it to work, borrowed a diagnostic reader from a colleague and found that I had misfire codes on cylinders 1, 5 and 6. My van has 105,000 miles on it. My first thought is that I should change the spark plugs which have about 45,000 miles on them but I don't understand why 3 would have failed at the same time. I also thought it might be an ignition coil, but also why would 3 fail at once. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
You most most likely have a bad ignition coil. One bad coil can trigger multiple codes. To find and replace the coil, search on "ignition coil" or "misfires" etc. This is a DIY job.

Consider reseating the spark plugs with anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the ignition coil end while you are in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same problem. Turned out to be a ignition coil. There is a good you tube video on how to replace it. Took under thirty minutes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Harbor Freight Tools has a interesting device that you plug in the coil and see if you have spark. Interesting tool to have.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Agree. Most likely one bad ignition coil. And the bad coil may be other than indicated by the OBD II codes.

On our 2002 Ody, had an ignition coil go bad. Identified the bad one by comparing all 6 coils visually. The OEM bad ignition coil had light brown discoloration just above the spark plug "boot" at the bottom of the coil.

But, also had a non-OEM ignition coil go bad, but it did not exhibit discoloration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I removed the engine shroud so I could access the ignition coils. I went to stay it so i could do the drop point test. It turned over once and then the engine went dead. If I try to start it now, the starter cranks but the engine won't turn over. Do you think one bad ignition could keep the engine from starting?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ngelston,
Interesting.
To answer your question, one bad ignition coil would not keep the engine from starting.

Wondering about your description of what's happening now . . . "starter cranking but the engine not turning over" usually is caused by a failure of the starter gear not engaging with the gear on the flywheel, and usually accompanied by a high-speed "whirring" sound of the starter spinning, but not engaged. If that's happening, starter (i.e. starter solenoid) may have failed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went out and started it and it started right up, ran for a couple of seconds and stalled. Now if I try to start it, the starter sounds like it always did, except it just continues to make the sound that the starter would normally make but the engine is not turning over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I tried again to start it and still no luck. A couple of times the engine shuddered like out was about to start but wouldn't actually engage. Do you think its possible i got a bad batch of gas? I just can't believe that my ignition coil went bad and then right after I lost the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It sounds like the engine is turning over (starter is probably OK), otherwise the starter would sound different than it always did, and the engine would not shudder like it is about to start.

Bad gas usually doesn't cause an engine not to start. Perhaps out of gas? Or low on gas and parked on a hill, causing the fuel pump intake to be dry?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, not sure why it wouldn't start, but at the suggestion of a friend I pushed down the gas peddle while trying to start and it started right up and bellowed a big cloud of smoke out of the exhaust. Did the drop point test and identified the faulty ignition coil, replaced it and it seemed to be running fine afterwards. The only issue is that my check engine light did not go out. Is this something that needs to be reset or do you think I could have another issue?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sounds like you have the problem solved. Woo hoo!
Best guess is you do not have any other issues.
The check engine light does need to be reset (or cleared) with an OBD II scan tool.

·
Registered
305 Posts
It wouldn't start because it was flooded. Stepping on the accelerator leaned out the mixture and it started, burning off the extra fuel.

I'd disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. CEL should go out. It'll go out on its own soon anyway, once it sees no problems for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for the help. Makes sense the engine was flooded, and I will disconnect the battery to reset the CEL. There was some corrosion on the battery terminals and they could use a cleaning anyway. Thanks again to everyone that posted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts