Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Must-do Mods Thread

18K views 49 replies 17 participants last post by  whoa 
#1 ·
I'll start out; for many of the new people here there's not a good place where all these great ideas are stored. Jim, perhaps we could add a section on the site that lists them all (even the ones that don't cost or require installation) so someone can 'check' them off when they get their new Ody:

"Free" Mods
- 'key' trick
- spare tire trick
- sliding door mod

"Minimal Cost" Mods (bang for buck under $50)
- front speaker upgrade
- Chuck's "hammock" mod
- dead pedal
- glovebox light
- upgrade horn
- leather steering wrap
- Zaino

"Big Ticket" Mods ($100 and up)
- "video on my navi" mod
- backup sensor
- TV
- roof rack
- foglights
- weathertech mats
- trailer hitch
- temp/compass mirror
- bug deflector

"Vanity" Mods
- PIAA lights (headlights, backup, etc.)
- antenna swap

"Nestor" Mods (he gets his own category)
- airlift kit
- H&R springs
- steering wheel swap
- non NAVI -> NAVI

...I'm sure I'm leaving many out but at least here's a start. I think a page w/ clickable links would be great. I know I wouldn't know about the spare tire & 'key' mod if I didn't read the forums as much as I do...

PS I think we should also have a rating next to each (scale of 1-3 for degree of difficulty). For instance, I would rate the spare tire & key mods as a 1, the glovebox light and sliding door mod as a 2 and the video on my navi as a 3.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 09-27-2001).]

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Geez Tom. I thought I'd seen all of Chuck's mods. I was gonna ask if anybody had defeated the park interlock. Now I've gotta go find it....

I think the free key "mod" must be to have a cheap blank cut. That will get you in the car without being able to start it. Inside the van, you hide the valet key.

Marvyn - obviously it would be good to have them linked, since folks are already trying to "click" them

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

#6 ·
I believe Marv is talking about discussion from the "Extra Keys are Expensive!" thread. The idea was to hide a non-transponder key outside the van so you could unlock the doors in the case of a lost key or "locked in car" situation. This key would not allow starting of the car. Then, the valet key could also be (optionally) hidden in the van for starting the car, as another out for the lost key scenario.

In terms of mod list, more general stuff could be added like wheels, tires, tire pressure sensor, all kinds of audio stuff, such as subs, 5.1 theater, different types of video monitors, SW interface for aftermarket head unit, blah, blah...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

#7 ·
Yeah, what they said.

Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. You're a MODERATOR! How could you have missed that whole thread? Now I'm going to have to revise my whole opinion of your dedication to this site!

#8 ·
I'm so ashamed......
Seriously, I've been building and upgrading computers for the last few weeks and have fallen behind in my moderator duties. With the growth of the club, I'll probably never catch up. Maybe we need more moderators?

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 09-27-2001).]

#9 ·
I agree with Marvyn, we need a must-do mods section. I have stored or bookmarked all my must-do mods at home and at the office, printed out some when I have had had time, and it has been really hard to keep up with. Great idea, Marvyn!

#10 ·
Would someone like to volunteer to throw together a FAQ for the site?

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

#11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jim F:
Would someone like to volunteer to throw together a FAQ for the site?

</font>
I'll help start things off but would like the help from the others as well. If anyone has experience with a certain mod and would like to do a quick write up please let us know! DO NOT start typing until we understand who has dibs on which mod to write about.

For the write up first write a quick description (or list) of the benefits of having the mod. Maybe even an example of how it would be used. Then give clear, simple instructions on the easiest way to install the mod along with useful tips here n' there and please (if possible) try not to get too technical on the lingo!

Here's an example:
http://www.odyclub.com/FAQ.htm

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

#12 ·
Shinjon -

Do you think we could post the same info at least a minute apart next time? Sheesh, we're good!

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

#13 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Shinjon -

Do you think we could post the same info at least a minute apart next time? Sheesh, we're good!

</font>
Great minds darell.....

Nestor, if you need help writing up something, let me know, no big deal. But probably the people that came up with the ideas should/would want to do it....

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

#15 ·
How's this for a plan?...

We will pretty much improve upon the TECH section. The new section will have:

1) Quick description of mod/idea/product.
2) (If necessary) step-by-step installation instructions.
3) (If necessary) Pics
4) Links to previous discussions/debates over the matter.
5) Misc. things like website links, personal tips, maybe reviews, or list of members with first hand experience.

What I need from you all is stuff like the stuff stated aboue: Website links, old discussions links, other ideas for this section, post your name/email if you have experience with a product, etc. Anything helpful really.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

#17 ·
Nestor, let me know what I can do to help. I do know HTML & Cold Fusion & ASP, etc. pretty well. I'm no graphic designer but I'm good w/ tables & forms & databases, etc. I'd love to help organize this in some way or provide whatever assistance I can in creating this page. I think it will be really cool & useful for people.

Email me if you have specifics.

#19 ·
Well..lesse. I don't know much about UBB. What kind of back-end is it? Access? SQL Server? I suppose I oughta do some research on it...

Cold Fusion has some pretty nice search capabilities with the built-in verity engine. I assume you're talking about setting up a better way of searching the forums? I saw a couple of comments on this in another thread.

I have been using Macromedia products since Director 2.0 (1992) and it seemed natural that they sucked up Allaire and added CF to their warchest. They make some of the best web development tools on the market IMO.

As for ideas; we could set up a database of mods; for sure. Maybe something like a series of tables containing everything from the type of mod, who came up with the idea originally, what problem it addresses, level of difficulty, material required, etc and throw a front-end on this so that anyone could fill in the info. The key to making this work would be to have the admins peroidically 'prune' it for duplicate entries (or similar entries) and making it easy to find what you're looking for.

I don't know; its 1 AM here and I'm just throwing out some ideas. The sky is pretty much the limit but its got to be something that people find useful in order to sustain momemntum. Success breeds success; if we get one working well we can branch out in other directions. I think the 'mod-base' would be a good starting point. How about I throw some type of prototype together for that to see what kind of interest it sparks?

#21 ·
I fnished the initial 'mods' prototype db and its online but I gotta put together the front end for it so you can get an idea how it will work...more later.

#22 ·
Ok, this was thrown together quickly so don't beat me up about the look & feel, etc. but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://demo.healthstream.com/content/proto/

Don't try and click the 'detail' links either.

Obviously the work comes in by deciding what info should be on this main 'list' page; how it can be broken into divisions based on name or price, etc. and then of course how each detail page should look and what it should contain. I should point out that I'm not pulling any info from the supppliers or tools tables on this page and I only am displaying about 50% of the fields for the mod item table on this page.

Also, the form will need to be created that allows people to type in the info for a mod.

In short what we'd have:
- search filter page
- item results 'list' page
- item detail
- new item form entry page

PS Chuck, I 'borrowed' some thumbnails from your pics to use in the prototype; I hope you don't mind seeing as how we're brothers & all.

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 10-02-2001).]

#23 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Ok, this was thrown together quickly so don't beat me up about the look & feel, etc. but it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://demo.healthstream.com/content/proto/

Don't try and click the 'detail' links either.

Obviously the work comes in by deciding what info should be on this main 'list' page; how it can be broken into divisions based on name or price, etc. and then of course how each detail page should look and what it should contain. I should point out that I'm not pulling any info from the supppliers or tools tables on this page and I only am displaying about 50% of the fields for the mod item table on this page.

Also, the form will need to be created that allows people to type in the info for a mod.

In short what we'd have:
- search filter page
- item results 'list' page
- item detail
- new item form entry page

PS Chuck, I 'borrowed' some thumbnails from your pics to use in the prototype; I hope you don't mind seeing as how we're brothers & all.

</font>
Well, since it's just in the family...... LOL!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 10-02-2001).]

#25 ·
Can you get the window width to dynamically resize to the window that opens? I.E. If I open a window that is full screen width wide, the database would display in that window (no horizontal scroll bar). If I have a half screen wide window open, the database display would open to that window size (also no horizontal scroll bar). Maybe you have to force a minimum window size.

Otherwise I like the prototype!

------------------
'02 SS EX-L RES on
order, build date 10/28 (Sunday?)
'98 Explorer XLT
'94 Prism Lsi

#26 ·
Please don't pay too much attention to the table; its just thrown together for the sake of getting an idea of how it works. The real work is in the back-end that makes it dynamic and easily added to.

That interface probably will bear little resemblence to what the final form will look like. If its going to be part of this site; I would want Nestor to handle the 'look & feel' (if he wants) so that it integrates well.

Hey...I like it; the first 'odyclub.com' DIY mod!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.