Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does Muzzler differ from Muzzler 2?
A lot of 'ink' has been used to adva ce the use of muzzler devices. As best I can tell there are several copycat vendors touting 'muzzlers' who are riding on verbatim's coat tails. Muzzler seems to be like 'Coke', 'Kleenex', 'Xerox', etc. and becoming generic rather than descriptive.
How does 'Muzzler' differ from 'Muzzler 2?

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bottom half of the first post here discussed the various Muzzler devices. Your instinct is correct, there are a lot of copycat "Muzzlers" out there. I'd stick to the legit versions discussed here.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,592 Posts
"Muzzler" has become a generic, catch-all term for nearly any VCM disable device. It's derived from VCMuzzler, which was the very first device of its kind that came out.

VCMuzzler II is the device made and sold by forum member @verbatim. It is the most current (and only) design available right now. The original VCMuzzler did not have swappable resistors and was very quickly replaced by the VCMuzzler II.

Every other device out there rides on the coattails of @verbatim and VCMuzzler.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
Not that the other devices are bad (I think some of them actually work better than the original), just that they're not the original.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,955 Posts
Bingo. If you are getting a passive (resistor) device, get the original. If you are going 'active' then you get to use between the VCM Tuner II and the S-VCM. All 3 options are great.

I have been specifically avoiding the "muzzle" term in general to try to avoid confusion or recommending a specific device when talking about VCM issues in general.

-Charlie

Reactions: BertS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not that the other devices are bad (I think some of them actually work better than the original), just that they're not the original.
Bingo. If you are getting a passive (resistor) device, get the original. If you are going 'active' then you get to use between the VCM Tuner II and the S-VCM. All 3 options are great.

I have been specifically avoiding the "muzzle" term in general to try to avoid confusion or recommending a specific device when talking about VCM issues in general.

-Charlie

-Charlie

-Charlie

-Charlie
Trying to reply, but my Ki ndle seems to go in its own direction. Muzzler and Muzzler 2 does one or the other rely on oil pressure or is it coolant temperature?

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
So. What I would like to add is, like has been said, VCMuzzler was the original and @verbatim did all the homework and published his findings not only here but at many other Honda forums. He did not hide the information. That sprawled a bunch of copy cats. VCMuzzler II was quickly launched first with the red and blue resistors (82 Ohms and 120 Ohms) and subsequently with more resistors.
After VCMuzzler II launch, if I am not mistaken, VCMTuner guy was looking to make a non-swappable muzzler and had the very first iteration of a variable potentiometer based muzzler. He called it VCM Tuner and was working on patents etc for a fully automated version too.
@maxud a long time member on here was able to get a hold of some plugs to fabricate the muzzler just like @verbatim and had built his own and if I am not mistaken 5 or 7 other sets and did NOT sell on here in volume (or anywhere else) out of respect to Verbatim's work. I remember exchanging messages with him for selling me the plugs and he kindly let me know that I would also need a special crimper for the plugs. He was out of plugs and directed me to buy the Muzzler II directly from @verbatim which I did.
VCMTuner early on cause a huge controversy and people were upset with him claiming that he stole verbatim's intellectual property and was monetizing it. Eventually, after seeing a lot of other copy cats and VCMTuner, max started selling his MaxMuzzler (which by this time came in both static and variable options) and at some point SVCM came into existence too. Once VCMTuner solved the issues with the fully automated product, that new product became VCM Tuner II.

If I were making a purchase of a passive muzzler today, I would buy from Max as the product is cheaper thanks to Max being in the US and Verbatim shipping out of Canada. If I wanted a fully automated solution, I would buy the VCM Tuner II. He was on here as a member too but does not post any more.

Just my version/take on the whole muzzler saga.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
Trying to reply, but my Ki ndle seems to go in its own direction. Muzzler and Muzzler 2 does one or the other rely on oil pressure or is it coolant temperature?
Just ONE of the two coolant temperature sensors. There are two coolant sensors actually. Also. A LOT of this information is in Verbatim's sticky and in WiiMaster's thread already.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
@DV, yes mostly correct.
VCMTuner guy wanted to patent not just digital version he came up with much later, but the actual analog muzzler as well. For this alone, I do not recommend dealing with him and I harshly criticized him for it.
As far as original Muzzler, if I recall correctly, Verbatim collaborated with others early on. The history is grey on who actually came up with initial idea. What he does absolutely take credit for is creating first plug and play factory plug type device.
I do not claim to have created anything original, except I was the first person to build a muzzler clone with built in (not plug style) potentiometer, eliminating the need for separate plugs and having infinite adjustable device.

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
Okay. I stand corrected on the variable thing then. The Tuner guy offered me a variable device like you sell which would work with my VCMuzzler II early on. Even before the fights began. I was smart enough to NOT take anything for free from any one and I did lucked out that time. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just ONE of the two coolant temperature sensors. There are two coolant sensors actually. Also. A LOT of this information is in Verbatim's sticky and in WiiMaster's thread already.
Understood. Yep, there is a lot of information but I still do not understand. Just received a product that was mailed fr om Canada. Literature explains installation. Says to be a simple and straight forward installation. When the connection was removed the lower portion looked like a sensor of some kind.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Okay. I stand corrected on the variable thing then. The Tuner guy offered me a variable device like you sell which would work with my VCMuzzler II early on. Even before the fights began. I was smart enough to NOT take anything for free from any one and I did lucked out that time. :D
Nothing to apologize for, this is ancient history we are digging through here. Dinosaur time.
Tuner guy made a clone copy of Muzzler 2, and he utilized a potentiometer on a plug. So his device had 4 plugs. I just simplified that design and eliminated plug in potentiometer and made it part of the device. Thats why I chose my wording very specifically.

Reactions: dvpatel

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Understood. Yep, there is a lot of information but I still do not understand. Just received a product that was mailed fr om Canada. Literature explains installation. Says to be a simple and straight forward installation. When the connection was removed the lower portion looked like a sensor of some kind.
Do you have a question? Why not ask the person that sold you the muzzler?

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
Do you have a question? Why not ask the person that sold you the muzzler?
I think they picked up the VCMuzzler II from Verbatim if I am not mistaken.

·
Administrator
14,213 Posts
Well. I did tell you Verbatim has a sticky. Here it is:

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
The VCMTuner guy sells the potentiometer plug addon as well that plugs into the VCMuzzler II.

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
407 Posts
The VCMTuner guy sells the potentiometer plug addon as well that plugs into the VCMuzzler II.
For those that like to tinker to see if they can find the exact spot by changing resistors or tweaking potentiometers. They need to remember the temperatures under the hood vary enough to effect the value of the resistance. So, if you like to do that enjoy. I like the set it and forget it technique. That is why I use the VCM Tuner II, it is designed to adjust to temperature changes automatically. That is why the VCM stays off all the time. Of course it is a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. The thing we all agree on is that VCM is not good for anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts