Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
OK I just purchased a (used) 2003 Honda Odyssey and totally love it! I have been a diehard Jeep guy for years but and recently my Cherokee XJ died R.I.P and figured it only made sense to purchase something that can handle our "Brady Bunch" family. Me and my darling girlfriend, who I abolutely adore have 4 kids between us - we have 3 boys 7,6, & 3 and one little girl (who has dad wrapped around her finger) that is 4. The kids love the fact that we can all pile into one vehicle and go places together! The taking two vehicles was getting old. And don't even get me started on the DVD feature - greatest thing ever! We made a 5 hour trip to go camping and not once did we hear "are we there yet" or "how much longer"!!!
I have only heard all positive things about Honda & Odyssey's so I'm sure I'll be on here from time to time looking for some additional insight into this vehicle....being a Jeep guy I knew each and every one I owned inside and out and hope to become as familar with the Odyssey as well!

So I guess my only question is: Is there anything I should know about a 2003 Odyssey?

The Odyssey Bunch Family

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
theodybunch said:
**snip*** I have only heard all positive things about Honda & Odyssey's ***snip*** So I guess my only question is: Is there anything I should know about a 2003 Odyssey?

The Odyssey Bunch Family
Welcome to OdyClub!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the transmission is a weak spot in this generation Odyssey. How many miles on yours? If you don't know the service history, change the transmission fluid three times to refresh it, and then change it every 2nd oil change after that. Also have a cooler and external filter installed. All make for cheap insurance against transmission failure. Search around OdyClub for more information on any of these ideas.

- Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: my first honda & odyssey ever!

davedrivesody said:
Welcome to OdyClub!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the transmission is a weak spot in this generation Odyssey. How many miles on yours? If you don't know the service history, change the transmission fluid three times to refresh it, and then change it every 2nd oil change after that. Also have a cooler and external filter installed. All make for cheap insurance against transmission failure. Search around OdyClub for more information on any of these ideas.

- Dave

I did some research before purchasing an Odyssey so I was aware of the transmission issues - with that said I did check into the vehicle history before buying. The prev owner had the transmission replaced at a Honda dealer and the "new trans" has about 60K miles on it. The vehicle itself has just under 135K. In addition, they also had the 100K service of timing belt/water pump replacement. The people I purchased the Odyssey from were really good about maintance and took the vehicle mostly to the dealership for all services including oil changes & they gave me all the service records. The only reason why they sold the Odyssey was because they purchased a new 2010. So I plan to stick to regular maintance and hope for the best!

Thanks for the insight on the trans issue.

Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts