Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My review of the GTA Car Kit (Ipod/Itouch/MP3 player) – my contribution to this forum.

I am truly pleased with my purchase of the GTA Car Kit. In fact, WOW!!! The Ipod/MP3 player is user friendly in many ways. This is the best unit I have seen on the market. After many weeks of research, I made the decision. It is by far the most impressive system available. The price is reasonable and it well worth the cost. I will not bore you with all the details. I will list some selling points that were important to me.

The seller for GTA Car Kit is Max (http://gtacarkit.com). He is very helpful and knows how to provide customer service well. Max will answer all your questions. I called and emailed him countless times. He returns emails and calls in a timely manner – even on Sundays. Max is an impressive businessperson. He treated me respect and made me feel very important. Feel free to email or call him with your questions.

The GTA unit is very small and easy to install. Max provides a YouTube video explaining the entire process. The process took me 20 minutes to install and I did not need a professional to mount it. I took my time and concentrated on the installation. It helped to watch the video multiple times. A long medium sized screwdriver and a wedge tool to get the front stereo panel off is required. The module was quick to install and the process was exactly as he stated in his video. It is literally a snap in place installation. There is no soldering or wire cutting and no need to disconnect the car battery. Here is the video

‪GTA Car Kits - Honda Odyssey 2005-2010 installation instructions of iPhone, Ipod, AUX and MP3‬‏ - YouTube

The module comes with two wires that either can connect to the Ipod. One cable can connects to the bottom of the Ipod. This charges the Ipod when the engine is running. It keeps the Ipod battery from dying on long trips. The other connector is a 2.5mm that connects to the top of the Ipod if charging is not required. This is a long enough cable so back seat occupants can select and interact with the Ipod. I appreciate that the manufacturer provided a long cable. Some sellers do not provide this cable or it is very short.

Interacting and playing music via GTA Car Kit is not difficult at all. You can use the radio head unit to select and change songs. It is very simple to understand and it does not limit you to a preset number of playlist. Be aware many mp3 players that restrict the number of playable playlist.

Here is why I am extremely happy with this unit

Plug and play – connect your Ipod and play songs immediately. Some units take awhile to categorize to start to play.

Use the ipod cable or 2.5mm cable is up to you.

Supports my second gen and latest Itouch 32Gb unit without issues or restrictions

The song starts again where I left off even after a week of not playing music. In other words, if I turn off the car at song 101, and I come back three days later, it starts where I left off. I have a DICE unit on my BMW that starts at the same first song even if I return four hours later. Imagine turning on the car and the same song plays every time…at the beginning?

Max – a great business man with a flair for customer service

I am happiest most with how I can continue to interact with the Ipod while it is plugged into the Ipod cable. To do this, plug in the Ipod and leave stereo setting on D1. I am able to use the Ipod to select song as it continues to charge. I can see the songs and playlist on the Ipod screen. It is fully interactive. Unlike my DICE unit, I cannot interact with the Ipod. As such, I cannot see the songs or playlist.

Music sounds phenomenal – There are no whirling or whizzing noises when the music is playing.

Response time is awesome – songs start immediately when the stereo on.

RDM button - pick a playlist and the GTA module with randomize the songs within the playlist...truly awesome.

Max also sells an optional adjustable universal car holder. My advice is for you to get one. The holder is strong and it connects securely onto the air vent. The designers did a great job. It firmly holds the Ipod where it is visible and easy to use. There are cushions on the side to keep it from scratching the Ipod when it is in the holder. To clamp the Ipod onto the holder, just squeeze the sides of the holder. Push a button at the rear of the holder, which is easily accessible, to release grip. I like how the Ipod cable fits snuggly at the base of the holder. It does not interfere with the holder. Hurray to the designer of the holder. By the way, I use it to hold my Blackberry phone at times too.

I hope this helps you in deciding what Ipod/mp3 player to purchase. I truly understand how difficult this process can be. Needless to say, I am pleased to give Max my business and my hard-earned dollars. I am confident GTA Car Kit will continue to be successful with their product and business.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thanks so much for your review.

I have an '03 Odyssey & have been seriously thinking about buying this unit.

I have a primarily all 1 piece stereo & am hoping that ill still be able to use CD player if installed.

Want to be able to use the GTA car kit so that I can use an iPod & also listen to Pandora thru my smartphone. using the 3.5mm auxiliary cable

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have GTA car kit on our 04 accord and its been a great product.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great reveiw of the GTA car kit. Looking to get one for my 09 EX-L RES. QUESTION
Is your GTA still functioning as new?
I ask because I have seen 6mth plus reviews of iSimple or other units which no longer function perfectly. Please advise as I plan a road trip from NJ to FL and would love to enjoy controlling my iPOD without much distraction. Thanks.
Farid

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have 09 exl-res too but having RES is the deal breaker. GTA car kit for 05-10 Ody will be plugged to the headunit where the RES is plugged in. I think this will disable the RES. I've used the 8mm aux jack beside the seat heater switch and placed my iphone on the cup holder. It works fine for me but most of the time Im contented with my sirius-xm subscription.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had my GTA for over a year now. It is working great. Now that I am really familiar with it, I don't even use the head unit to select my song, but I work directly with the ipod.

As for XM, they need to collect money. Glad there are those willing to part with their hard earned dollars. After all, the economy has to run on something. I like one expense items and not recurring cost. Pay once. With my 30 GB ipod, I can listen to what ever I want. This came in handy while driving through seven states during my last vacation. I never lost reception cuz I never needed it driving through the dessert or through mountains. XM, for me, I'd rather keep my $300 a year in my pocket. I'm not bashing Cebu or XM subscribers....this is just my preference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed this unit yesterday on my 2007 Odyssey EX-L. It was remarkably easy to remove the stock radio. It took me about an hour to complete the job and I'm real careful with how wires are run and didn't want the unit to rattle once hidden.

The youtube instructions are good except I ran my radio lead to the right side and tucked it around the right heat vent... nice fit.

One surprise, my stock radio had a wire harness attached to that DVD/CD changer port. But I don't have any optional CD changer or DVD player. My guess is that port/cable wasn't attached to anything but there in case I choose one of the factory options?

All in all I'm pleased and it's working well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
have had mine installed for about 9 months now. great product.....mostly use for long trips.

Way Better than using an FM transmitter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts