Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,367 Posts
And this usually does not happen for no reason. When it happens it's usually caused by a timing system failure. So you need far more than just a new manifold.

Reactions: geotek and thscott

·
Registered
2012 EXL. 2013 Touring
510 Posts
And this usually does not happen for no reason. When it happens it's usually caused by a timing system failure. So you need far more than just a new manifold.
I agree. It did not happen on older cars because the intake manifolds are made from cast iron or much thicker cast aluminum. If I would give a guess, someone may have been troubleshooting a fuel problem and used starting fluid to see if it would fire up. I have done it because it is convenient. But, too much and with a burnt valve, this is what you get. You have to be careful with starter fluid, my brother-in-law set his catalytic converter on fire one real cold winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. It did not happen on older cars because the intake manifolds are made from cast iron or much thicker cast aluminum. If I would give a guess, someone may have been troubleshooting a fuel problem and used starting fluid to see if it would fire up. I have done it because it is convenient. But, too much and with a burnt valve, this is what you get. You have to be careful with starter fluid, my brother-in-law set his catalytic converter on fire one real cold winter.
Sadly that’s exactly what happened. Tried to get it starting up again. N well that’s the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts