Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my husband called me after picking up our van from the winter tire install and says "your new tires are ugly! You are going to hate them." And, he's right. I know the merit of steel rims over aluminum alloy ones for winter but I didn't think they'd look so industrial. I love my new van but this definitely detracts from it's look and the winter here is loooong so basically they will have these for at least half the year.

I don't know much about car/tires/wheels so I was hoping someone could tell me more about it. Can I just go to Honda and buy some decent-looking hubcaps to put on over the rims? Why wouldn't they have tried to sell me these or told me about this before? Do most people just leave them as they are?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
39 Posts
With my 09, the steel rims had honda hub caps and different lug nuts that held the hub cap on the wheel. Maybe some hub caps from an auto store would work?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Don't go to Honda to buy hubcaps, go to Canadian Tire or Walmart and buy some cheaper there. Afterall they are only steel rims & for winter. Why pay more at a dealership for such things?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nooooo not steal wheels LOL

Black wheels are the trend now! Not that I like them but while you are rolling people might think you just spent a lot of money on some 26's. Watch for the occasional thumbs up ;)

In all seriousness though, I'm with the other 2 posters just buy some cheap ones its just for winter time. If not that, then maybe have your hubby paint your steal wheels silver it may look good?

·
Registered
84 Posts
We went with some Ridgeline steelies. They use a small center cap held on by the lug nuts. They were cheap too... $100 (used) for all 4 with lugs and TPMS :)

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
^are you using the Ridgeline's TPMS? Did you have to goto the dealer to program them?

·
Registered
84 Posts
^are you using the Ridgeline's TPMS? Did you have to goto the dealer to program them?
I didn't bother with the reprogramming and my wife didn't complain, so I will stick with the same protocol this year ;) (We got a day or two of driving before the "i" appeared.) I'm not certain the Ridgeline TPMS is compatible and may have to splurge on the proper Odyssey version for the steelies in the future. They were about $45ea from the dealer (with all the hardware)... about the same as a hubcap ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
We use the Honda hub caps. Just put them on this morning, actually! Even those aren't great looking, but they are much better than naked steelies.

I don't remember what I paid but I just checked bernardiparts where I got them and their not even listed anymore. If you do find them, make sure to use the proper lug nuts as someone else said.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
I agree that black steelies look gawdy when new, but once they get all mucked up with salt they will match the rest of the van perfectly.;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
On our 2004 I ordered a set of Odyssey LX hubcaps online (I think they were about $20 each). Then I ordered the special Honda lugnuts from ebay (used, about $25). The hubcap lugnuts have a plastic washer that holds the hubcap in place.

I originally had the cheap spring loaded hubcap but they never stayed on for too long and were kind of cheap looking. The Honda ones look pretty decent and they aren't coming off unless the wheel is also falling off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We went with some Ridgeline steelies. They use a small center cap held on by the lug nuts. They were cheap too... $100 (used) for all 4 with lugs and TPMS :)
This is what I use too. Did you end up with wider tires than the factory ones? mine stick out and throw up a lot of mud/slush.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is what I use too. Did you end up with wider tires than the factory ones? mine stick out and throw up a lot of mud/slush.
I use a 235/65R17 Blizzak and have the factory splash gaurds. There is a little bit of build up on side skirts, but hardly anything reaches the doors. The rear bumper still collects some up to the "crease." Still, I wouldn't change a thing - except that I just ran across some alloys going for cheap on Craigslist ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts